Album The dogs of backcountrypost.com

Requiem.
I'll start this post the same way I started the thread back in 2012 with a picture of Merlin chest deep in the Dirty Devil River. My dear doggie passed away this month at the ripe old age of 95 dog years of lung cancer. Many of you here were in-person friends of his and I may not have been able to let you know until now. He sure has graced the pages of this thread as well as many other TR's and posts here at BCP. He will still show up here occasionally but it will be as "Packer Emeritus" as his new status.

He taught me a lot in the 12 years I lived with him. Most importantly, to live life in-the-day and to cherish those you are with. I have to re-learn now how to walk the backcountry without him. He also taught little Luna how to grow up and love the outdoors. She is also learning how to live without him too and she will continue to grace these pages with her antics.

Goodbye old friend, you are missed. Thanks all here for indulging me. Back to normal, silly, great! dog pictures in the backcountry, or wherever.
- the OP

Home Away from Home - in the Devil
Merlin_1.jpg

Steep slickrock in the wind
IMG_0845.jpg

Teaching Luna who was boss and where the real dessert lies - she had just been rescued from an ignorant human at only a couple of weeks old. Merlin did not yet know what a terror she would become :)
lunaMerlinCollage.jpg

Sunset and a Poignant Farewell
merlinSunset_3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Art. That brought back a few memories.

15812995794_14b8674dfe_b.jpg

16249260699_b1842e84c6_b.jpg

16433754651_74d242accb_b.jpg

15812988554_e01df031cf_b.jpg

15812986034_46e076868c_b.jpg

16249252179_6ffae230bd_b.jpg

Still miss that girl a lot and it's been almost 6 years since she departed.

While we're on the Luna theme...

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

Very sorry Art to hear about Merlin. must be very difficult to lose your best and most loyal friend. Very sorry.

Very sorry Art to hear about Merlin. must be very difficult to lose your best and most loyal friend. Very sorry.
Thanks pal (@Vegan.Hiker). We are probably never going to get "over" him leaving but the pain has dulled. I find it interesting that we live with an animal it's entire life (for the 7th or 8th time for me) and watch them and cherish them through their full life span from childhood to adult to old age. They, however, observe us as a constant, never changing, at least much. We saved them from an uncertain future since they are rescues and we provide them support and companionship for that lifetime. But they provide so much more to us.

Who knows, there may be another animal life saved to live with us some day. That fits our pattern. That dog will not be Merlin but it will be treasured nonetheless. And Luna could use a playmate. I need help working her out.

Last edited:
My sincere condolences, Art. I've said my final goodbye to 4 canines since June 2007, 3 of which passed away way too young. You never get over any of them and there are no replacements-no two are ever really alike. Just like people.

The departed
16511898632_70106b2f32_b.jpg

14222205935_8948ff6cf6_b.jpg

14995885191_56e28db3c8_b.jpg

16325190248_717ae4eb9a_b.jpg

We still have two of our own and my late father's. My father's girl is 15 and I know I will be saying another goodbye in the not too distant future. But life goes on for the living and you just have to remember you did the best you could by them.

Here is the real Otis doing some dock jumping Otis.jpg
And maybe this one will make you think he's a hunterIMG_0226.JPG

but no, it's just a stickIMG_0227.JPG IMG_0228.JPG

And for good measure... Laser beam eyes to keep us all safe...(by no means a political or race or religious post) just a cool pic and a crappy trailer I lived in.

IMG_0445.JPG

Luna's hiking days are pretty much over...3 year old dog in a 10 year old body, spondylosis, arthritis, nerve issues...but that doesn't stop her from rooting for her favorite team. Luna is great with cats. especially Wildcats.

IMG_0343.JPG

How is Luna handling things, Brandon? Is her 3 year old brain trying to overdo it or has she kind of figured out she can't run around like a maniac?

I've got her up to 2 one mile walks a day, that's probably gonna be her limit from now on. Nothing high impact. Short walks, backyard lounging time and the occasional trip to one our dog-friendly bars and patios and she's good to go. It sucks, but its manageable. Every now and then she tears around the backyard like a crazy dog, not much I can do to stop it. If she's not showing any pain I let her get it out of her system.
I have to figure out how to pack for my Utah trip in 3 weeks without her knowing. Yeah right.

Reactions: Ben