Thanksgiving, with a Tree Named Joshua and Food Poisoning

MIya, since you were basically car camping while sick, get yourself a cheap shower tent and a port a potty, keep them in your trunk when you go on trips just for this kind of thing. You can set it up right next to your car and have your privacy while dressing and for whatever emergency type thing that might happen.

MIya, since you were basically car camping while sick, get yourself a cheap shower tent and a port a potty, keep them in your trunk when you go on trips just for this kind of thing. You can set it up right next to your car and have your privacy while dressing and for whatever emergency type thing that might happen.

As much as I love the idea of getting out there and hiking the world solo, I think car camping is my thing when I am alone. Good idea to invest in some more comforts when I do trips like that. :)

As a fellow woman (say what?) there have been plenty of times I've felt safer sleeping in my vehicle - usually in campgrounds where people are around - or when the weather's bad (especially high winds) - or in areas where there's maybe bears - or maybe cougars - or anything maybe, including maybe Bigfoot or for real mosquitoes. No honor lost sleeping in your vehicle, IMO.

I might add that I now am the proud owner of a Tiger, a small rig built on the back of a 4x4 Chevy pickup, so I sleep inside all the time now, and it's great. I must be getting old...but I love being able to look out the back window (full width) and see the stars without worrying about weather or critters, pus it has a nice heater. I can get way into the outback with it, but it's not the same as backpacking.

Last edited:
As a fellow woman (say what?) there have been plenty of times I've felt safer sleeping in my vehicle - usually in campgrounds where people are around - or when the weather's bad (especially high winds) - or in areas where there's maybe bears - or maybe cougars - or anything maybe, including maybe Bigfoot or for real mosquitoes. No honor lost sleeping in your vehicle, IMO.

Thanks for all that! Since I am still new to this, I got my mind deadset on a certain idea or way to do it, but I have been working really hard (and hiking has helped) to just go with the flow more. Not force myself if I am not feeling it and just enjoy the moment.
I swear when I sleep in my car, it is colder. It is like an ice box right? I think that is science...haha add a heater and I would just go on vacation to sleep all day in my car. Like a cat.
Idk why I love sleeping in my tent so bad, maybe because it is new to me. I set it up in my yard and even in my house sometimes to sleep! o_O

LOL - I rented a house in Green River, Utah once that wasn't far from the river and the mosquitoes were terrible - they got into the house and I couldn't figure out how. I ended up setting up my tent in the living room and sleeping in it for protection. I loved it so much I quit renting and went back to tent camping (lots cheaper, too).

Wonderful report. Just a couple of points.

For years JT was my favorite place. These days it's too crowded and the reservation system is insane. I spent Oct 21 - Nov 19th on the road this year. Mojave and Sonoran desert trip. The 2 nights in JT were my least favorite.

Also, I spent Nov 18th in Needles, CA. It was a Sunday there as opposed to Monday where you were. ;). It was my 70th.

My favorite part of the trip was the 19 days at Organ Pipe Cactus NM. It's paradise. Still going through pics. Maybe I can do a TR.

For years JT was my favorite place. These days it's too crowded and the reservation system is insane. I spent Oct 21 - Nov 19th on the road this year. Mojave and Sonoran desert trip. The 2 nights in JT were my least favorite.

Also, I spent Nov 18th in Needles, CA. It was a Sunday there as opposed to Monday where you were. ;). It was my 70th.

My favorite part of the trip was the 19 days at Organ Pipe Cactus NM. It's paradise. Still going through pics. Maybe I can do a TR.
Happy birthday and yes, a TR would be great!

I mighta preferred no toilet.
Oh, I didn't encounter a reservation system which is why I loved it so much! Reservations for campgrounds?

I mighta preferred no toilet.
Oh, I didn't encounter a reservation system which is why I loved it so much! Reservations for campgrounds?
Yes. At Indian Cove CG the sites are either Reserved or 'Available for One Night". They were unwilling or unable to tell us if the site was reserved for the next night. So you take the place hoping they don't make you move in the morning. What a mess.

Thanks for all that! Since I am still new to this, I got my mind deadset on a certain idea or way to do it, but I have been working really hard (and hiking has helped) to just go with the flow more. Not force myself if I am not feeling it and just enjoy the moment.
I swear when I sleep in my car, it is colder. It is like an ice box right? I think that is science...haha add a heater and I would just go on vacation to sleep all day in my car. Like a cat.
Idk why I love sleeping in my tent so bad, maybe because it is new to me. I set it up in my yard and even in my house sometimes to sleep! o_O

I always sleep in the back of my truck unless it's a meteor shower. I go out hoping for rain and thunderstorms.

I might add that I now am the proud owner of a Tiger, a small rig built on the back of a 4x4 Chevy pickup, so I sleep inside all the time now, and it's great. I must be getting old...but I love being able to look out the back window (full width) and see the stars without worrying about weather or critters, pus it has a nice heater. I can get way into the outback with it, but it's not the same as backpacking.

Like this?

http://www.tigervehicles.com/

I'm hoping to get something like that in the next couple of years. I like the idea of a heater as I would like to do this during the winter.

Yes pls! Would love to see your pictures. I did a small TR about Organ Pipe, we were just there for a day.
Looking forward to it!

I'm sorting pics. This will be my 1st TR.

We went for 4 days. 19 days later we moved on.
Great! Organ Pipe Cactus NM was amazing - we will be back. We are in Utah now- away for a couple of months.
The trip reports are a lot of work, its tough when there is a lot of pictures and text. If its your first TR:
To avoid that you loose it all (the BCP website saves it for some days), write the text in an email (or in a document), then save that. When you have that ready copy that text into a new trip report, then upload photos and insert the photos as needed.
I lost a report trying to do it over several days.... and saving the report on the website... good luck!