Tarptent StratoSpire 2 - Solid or Mesh Nest?

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
I've got a buyer coming on Friday to pick up my MSR Mutha Hubba NX so it's time to order my new Tarptent StratoSpire 2. Question is... do I want the full or partial mesh nest. So for those of you with a StratoSpire, are you happy with your choice or would you have gone the other way? Thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

Perfectly content with my full mesh insert. No problems with mud splashing inside in heavy rain. I've heard some other tents with full mesh inserts have that problem.

I guess I wish I would've gotten both liners when I ordered it, just because it would be nice to have both. However, there hasn't been a time where I've been out and wished I had the partial solid one. Maybe I would want it in blowing sand or single digit temperatures, but that's all I can think of.

I recently bought the SS 1 with solid inner tent. Call me old fashioned. Blowing stuff, sand-dirt-snow, was a concern. The solid tent is no cooler than all mesh when it's warm. The solid tent is warmer when it's cold. Personal preference. I'll let you know after my trip to the Winds in September.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently bought the SS 1 with solid inner tent. Call me old fashioned. Blowing stuff, sand-dirt-snow, was a concern. The solid tent is no cooler than all mesh when it's warm. The solid tent is warmer when it's cold. Personal preference. I'll let you know after my trip to the Winds in September.
Wayne

This was my reasoning with going with the solid inner for my notch, especially given the smaller dimension of the notch vs. the SS1/SS2. I have no complaints whatsoever with the solid inner on my notch and am a fan of the shelter overall.

I find I'm torn by the temptation to have a good view available with the full mesh, but I can think of some cold, windy situations that I might wish for the solid nest.

I find I'm torn by the temptation to have a good view available with the full mesh, but I can think of some cold, windy situations that I might wish for the solid nest.

For me it was cold, windy and silty/dusty situations that sold me on the solid inner. I've woken up too many times in the desert covered in fine silt and grit in my mouth and eyes and covering all my gear. The solid inner may not prevent that from happening but it certainly helps.

The mesh on the solid inner extends well below my eye level and I'm only 5'-8". Sure I have to sit up to see out. I also have to have the doors open. With the doors closed you can't see anything from both inner tents.
Neither inner tent is required. Weather permitting.
Wayne

I don't like to be cold at night so I think I'm leaning towards the solid.

I have the Notch and considered the partial insert, but then opted for the full mesh after all. Can't speak to the the roomier Stratospire, but I think the Notch is just small enough that I can place my pack, shoes, some other gear, even rocks or logs if it comes down it, all along base of the vestibule(s) if wind or other issues like sand and what not become invasive.