Tarptent Cloudburst 3 or Freestanding 3p

TylerS

So my wife and I recently discovered the glory of 25" square sleeping pads and sadly that means we need to upsize from our beloved Double Rainbow. We'll use this tent everywhere for both backpacking and crowded National Park car camping... just like we did our Double Rainbow. Trips will include the SW Utah Canyon/Desert Country, PNW, Canadian Rockies, BWCA Canoeing/Skiing (summer and winter), NW Ontario Boat Camping, random state parks here in Northern MN where we live. I think I've narrowed it down to a fairly short list of "3 person" tents:
Tarptent Cloudburst 3
Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3
REI Quarter Dome 3
MSR Mutha Hubba NX 3
Other tents considered were the TT Rainshadow (not stormworthy or good in crowded campgrounds) and the TT Stratospire (not spacious enough for 2 big pads).

Biggest concerns from me is I want a tent that is very spacious for the weight, can take above treeline weather, and a tent that is durable and will last. We've loved out Double Rainbow but it simply can't fit 2 wide sleeping pads so it's gotta go. I think I'm leaning towards the Cloudburst but I'm really curious if the other tents listed will have more floor space and be more spacious? I know they look that way on paper, but most main stream tents are pretty optimistic with their size descriptions. Also I've never even considered using any kind of footprint with our current tarptent, I feel like the lightweight floors of the Big Agnes and the REI tents would get tore up without a footprint. That definitely adds weight, cost, and set up hassle to those choices. I definitely would not use a footprint for the TT or MSR options.

Any input from people who have these tents would be great. Thanks!

We have a cloudburst 3 that we bought when we had our daughter and love it (coming from mids and flat tarps mostly). I'm a huge fan of the tunnel tent design...very wind resistant, basically zero wasted floorspace due to the shape (the walls meet the ground at almost a 90* angle), handles snow much better than the lightweight freestanders and is overall quite a bit more storm-worthy (especially if you add the optional center pole), dead easy setup, lightweight...

Highly recommended and plenty of room for us and a very active toddler.

I have a Quarterdome 3 (last years model, I think REI updated this year). I only use it with family, normally I have a hammock. With my wife and I it is spacious. Even with 2 kids and me, it is comfortable. It has gone through some storms without any problems. Wait for one of the 20% coupons and I think it is a pretty good deal.

Phil at sectionhiker.com just reviewed the quarterdome 2 if you want another opinion.

Based on internet photos the StratoSpire 2 has room for at least 3 20" pads just like the Cloudburst. Call Henry. I did and he will give you the facts about his tents.
I'm a very happy TarpTent SS 1 and MSR Hubba Hubba NX owner. I chose my tents over the other brands on your list. My Xtherm Large fits nicely in the SS1 without expanding the floor space.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses so far, they are greatly appreciated!

One thing I'm struggling to wrap my head around is how these tents compare in size. It's hard to compare without having them all set up together, and that isn't really possible. On paper it looks like the freestanders are all bigger than the cloudburst, but I'm not sure how the usable volume and floor space compares due to the different style of tent.

Is the cloudburst noticeably smaller feeling than the 3p freestanders? If so where does it fall between the Double Rainbow and the freestanders?

Based on internet photos the StratoSpire 2 has room for at least 3 20" pads just like the Cloudburst. Call Henry. I did and he will give you the facts about his tents.
I'm a very happy TarpTent SS 1 and MSR Hubba Hubba NX owner. I chose my tents over the other brands on your list. My Xtherm Large fits nicely in the SS1 without expanding the floor space.
Wayne

Something I forgot to mention is we don't use trekking poles, so that was another reason the SS2 didn't make the list. Adding in the weight of dedicated tent poles to the SS2 makes it heavier than the CB3 for less space, albeit more modular with the full inner tent.

Fair enough. I bought the SS1 for the real double wall construction. I'm already contemplating using the fly alone in the WRR in September.
Short review of SS1 and Hubba Hubba NX:
Must haves:
Side entry
Double doors and vestibules.
Doors that hang from upper side and don't fall on floor like Big Agnes doors.
Rectangular floor. Not tapered.
Vertical sidewalls and corresponding shoulder room.
Fly can be used without having to buy expensive and heavy footprint - Like Big Agnes tents.
Good luck.
Wayne

PS:
The Cloudburst 3 was on my very short list of multi-person tents. An affordable Hilleberg Kaitum.
I stumbled into a "deal"/impulse buy for the Hubba Hubba NX. I've used it alone and love it.
Wayne

Update: We went with the Copper Spur 3, got last years mtn-glo version for $350 off campsaver. Set it up once in the yard and then used it a couple nights this past weekend on Isle Royale. No complaints but it also didn't really get tested in any weather. Love the space and dead simple set-up.

Haven't tried the stupid lighting yet but went with that model because of the deal and wanted last years square floor, rather than the taper. I also like the mtn-glo fly color A LOT better.