Album Strange Things

Found on the summit of Leidy Peak at 12,028' this weekend. I have a working hypothesis of what it's function is but don't want to prejudice you. Before I reveal my hypothesis any of you know what it is? The cylindrical object on the far right is a temperature recorder. The rectangle is approximately 12" on a side.
publishSmWr-16.jpg

Found on the summit of Leidy Peak at 12,028' this weekend. I have a working hypothesis of what it's function is but don't want to prejudice you. Before I reveal my hypothesis any of you know what it is? The cylindrical object on the far right is a temperature recorder. The rectangle is approximately 12" on a side.
View attachment 55679
Are those shiny black things rocks?

View attachment 55679
Black Tourmoline for new age healing stuff...
http://www.psychic-revelation.com/m...umbled/CGS_159T_tumbled_tourmaline_black.html

One time I woke up to find a friend sitting next to the fire making an elk poop necklace. He'd jam a needle through it and then pull it through with his teeth. He brought it home to his wife. So yeah, maybe they collect mountain goat poop?
But, @Ben, why did they all poop in that plastic box:?:cool:
I am working up the courage to bite into it so see if it is gold-like like the old time prospectors did. But, then again, maybe there is a more scientific way...

Right, and you thereby also know it fizzes in vinegar. That's pretty important knowledge if you're a cook or cleaning person (or a geologist).

Actually, vinegar is a dilute acetic acid that reacts with calcite or aragonite, so if it fizzes, you know it's either one of those or the critter eats rocks (assuming it's from a critter).

I think your theory from your trip report is probably right on.

Last edited: