Southern Wind River Range - Texas Pass on Aug 11th

Could be ghost writer ...........................

Could be. If he's really into it just to make money and came on just to save face, that would be sad. It would certainly change some opinions some people have of him if he became an active contributor here and interacted positively with others, shared some trip reports, or simply just gave an occasional comment or advice to inquiries from his wealth of experience with out always promoting himself or plugging his blog or books and didn't preach that ultra-light power-hiking was the only way to enjoy the backcountry.

My understanding is that his background is that he was a long distance cross country runner who got his start into backpacking by wanting to test his endurance and see if he could hike the full AT one summer in between semesters while at college. Apparently that experience hooked him and he's since endeavored to challenge himself in different ways with different routes and terrain ever since. I'm not sure when the profit-making venture came into play and who contacted who. Anyway, as one who has done some cross country running in my high school days and a couple marathons since then, I can understand the desire to challenge oneself with paces and distances. Being able to amp it up with great scenery along the way would only add to the experience. My assumption is that remains his primary motive, beyond the fame and any fortune he now has, to get out and challenge himself. He appears to be marketing himself as a guide for those who may want to get out and get a taste for challenging themselves in much the same manner but may not have the knowledge or the experience to safely engage in such journeys. Kudos to them.

While I like pushing the pace a bit myself at times when out hiking and backpacking, when I hit the more scenic stretches, like you and most everyone else here on BCP, I like to slow down and take in the views, stop for pictures from various angles, and often just stop for a good break to take it all in. For me, my motive to go out into the backcountry is less for the challenge and more for the beauty and serenity that can be found out in the wilderness. Then when not on the trail, it's nice to happily & freely share some photos, lessons learned, and other knowledge and experience gained with others while at the same time learning from others and enjoying their photos, reports, etc. However, if National Geographic or some big organization like that approached me and wanted to sponsor me or provide me with some money to publish me or schedule me at some speaking events, I'd have to consider accepting the offer. Especially if it provided more security for my family, or even just provided resources to get me out more and to more wilderness areas to experience. I don't envision that ever happening down the path for me though. In the mean time, I love what @Nick has put together here with BCP as a venue to share and learn from.

Last edited:
In consideration of the available terrain further south -- namely in the form of Wind River Peak -- I think Texas Pass is an anticlimatic finish. Don't get me wrong, it's a great pass, incredibly scenic, and perhaps the very first "off-trail" pass that I ever did, while on the CDT in 2007. But it's not a worthy terminus to "the" Wind River High Route.

Context is good. Now I agree with you, for the most part. So what would your ideal finish be then? Head over to Deep/Temple and up over 'Temple Pass' and out at Sweetwater Gap? Or maybe down the Popo Agie and up through Ice Lakes/Wind River Peak and out the same way? Or head further south to Worthen Meadows?

ANdrew, If you check my winds post in the resources section here, we were attempting a Wind River High route, to stay really close to the true divide.....not on the CDT trail which is pretty far off the real divide. Granted a lot is off trail. Unfortunately we got weathered out, which is so often the case in the Winds, we completed a little more than half of our desired route. Trip ended up at about 115 miles. An attempt to finish this year from Camp lake to Green River TH, on the east side failed as well because of extreme weather again.

I would be interested in seeing what route you were tackling for your trip. Feel free to PM me plotted on a map, gpx, google earth to bobb169 at hotmail dot com.

The NE section of the winds, off of the main divide is some of the roughest around. Hard to beat the view from WindRiver peak on a clear day.

Out Sweetwater......it's more on the end of the range and somewhat different scenery type. Check my route Nick.

Andrew, it's interesting you picked the trailheads you did. I figured Sweetwater and Green River lakes for start and ending was best.

Last edited:
Of course, @Andrew Skurka comes back on and interacts some more before I get to post my last reply. Noobie intro or not now, welcome aboard, Andrew!

Look what you started now, @jjmcwill. :cool: No matter what you decide on doing up there, I'll be jealous. My hope is to get a good Winds trip in come next year. It'll be my first time seeing them since I was a young scout.

Ha, now I have to dig out my maps and finish the north end for sure.

@WasatchWill - Sorry, but I really don't see myself becoming a big contributor here, or at any other online forums. Clearly, BCP is an active, knowledgeable, and passionate group, and I could see myself occasionally chiming in and/or picking up some occasional tips, but in general I already shortchange content outlets that are a lot closer to me (e.g. my blog, which on average probably only gets new content every other week) and it'd be unwise to spread myself thinner. If you deem that unsatisfactory and want to tune me out, that's your call.

@Bob and @Nick

Bob - Did you get caught in that late-August storm, when snowline dropped to about 11,000 feet? I was trying to get up there at that time in order to fix our mistakes from late-July/early-August but the weather forecast strongly suggested that I just stay home. I think that's a key lesson with this Wind River High Route: it's more like a climbing route in that it won't always go. You kind of need to block out a window of time, and then jump on the first good forecast. That is hard to do if you don't live locally or if you have a tight schedule, in which case your success or lack thereof will mostly be determined by luck.

Re the route, the southern terminus should be Wind River Peak, the range's namesake rock pile and from where there is a phenomenal view to the north of much of the range. To avoid odd routing from the Cirque to the summit and out, it's best to use the West Gully, which is a loose Class 3 route.

There is mostly consensus about the middle of the route, with the most notable exception being Photo Pass. From Sentry Col, it's very obvious that the route goes over it, and Buzz linked up a very nice route to Europe Peak and down the ridge to Haystack Pass. This puts you on the res, so you'll need a trespass permit. Not a big deal, and much better than the roundabout route past Harris Lake.

The route in the north end of the range is less clear. I think I know what it is (parallel to the Divide, starting at Blaurock or Bonney and ending at Downs Mountain). But this is pretty rugged terrain, and it might be possible piece together something a bit friendlier on the east side, north of Knapsack. Either way, it's consistently the highest, most exposed, most rugged, and most committing section of the route.

I don't think the north and south trailheads matter all that much. The meat of the route is Wind River Peak to Downs Mtn. How you get there is your call, and will depend on your travel logistics and resources.

@WasatchWill - Sorry, but I really don't see myself becoming a big contributor here, or at any other online forums. Clearly, BCP is an active, knowledgeable, and passionate group, and I could see myself occasionally chiming in and/or picking up some occasional tips, but in general I already shortchange content outlets that are a lot closer to me (e.g. my blog, which on average probably only gets new content every other week) and it'd be unwise to spread myself thinner. If you deem that unsatisfactory and want to tune me out, that's your call.

No worries. I understand about not wanting to spread yourself thinner. I feel pretty much maxed out with all the social accounts I have to follow and share through without neglecting other important parts of life.

I just want to say that your trips and routes are both insane, crazy, arguably wasteful to some and yet inspirational to others. Whether your motives for your trips are different or not, I respect what you've been able to do and have enjoyed reading and watching some of what you've shared from your trips. I'm looking forward to what you'll share from future trips, regardless of the medium. If you're ever looking for feedback or info on areas, especially in the intermountain west here, to aid with planning and preparing for any future treks, this forum is a great one to bookmark.

@WasatchWill -

You seem to have a very false impression of my backpacking philosophy and attitude.

Indeed, I get value out of pushing myself mentally and physically. In that sense, I share the mindset of an endurance athlete. That seems reasonable, given that I have been a lifelong runner and that still compete in ultras when it's convenient.

But if it were all about the internal challenge, I wouldn't be a backpacker. I'd still be racing around the track, or pursuing the ultra thing full-time. Instead, I have a profound appreciation for the environments that I pass through, and my connection with these landscapes is far deeper and more fulfilling than laps around a track ever were. Sleeping on the ground, drinking unpurified water, rising and setting with the sun -- I love it. Watch this video starting at 22:00:

Still think I'm just interested in seeing how tough I am?

While my backpacking style is right for me, I fully recognize that it may not be for others, and that I have no standing to say there is a "right" or "wrong" way to backpack. Unlike some elitists in the ultralight community, I fully respect those who backpack in a completely different fashion. If you want to hike in just a few miles and set up camp, where you will write in your journal, take great photos with your SLR, and play your guitar at night, I think you should.

That all said, based on your objectives, there is a right and a wrong way to hike. If would be foolish to attempt one of my itineraries with a huge pack loaded with a spacious tent, fresh vegetables, and a lantern. I started the Appalachian Trail that way, and it sucked. Similarly, if I went on a camping-inspired backpacking trip with my normal kit, I'd be pretty upset about not having a fishing rod or good book.

Finally, I'll raise this issue of "fame and fortune." If I really wanted either, do you really think that I would have chosen this career path? Throughout my 20's, my annual income was about half of the national poverty line. Some fortune. I was a dirtbag backpacker -- like a ski or surf bum, I made just enough money to avoid debt, and otherwise backpacked as much as I could. My financial situation is different now, but I credit it entirely to hard work. Have you ever written a book, started a service business (in my case, guiding) from scratch, or scheduled 55 slideshows in a year? My success did not fall into my lap -- I worked my tail off and I earned it. And I strongly dispute the belief that "fame" has resulted from what I've done. As I said in an earlier post, the cashiers at my local REI fail to recognize my last name or to even pronounce it correctly.

@WasatchWill -

We're both writing posts at the same time, missing the others remarks before adding something new.

I appreciate your comments, and thank you for relating to online fatigue. We're probably a lot less far apart than you'd think. Hopefully we get a chance to meet in person sometime.

Checking out for the night.

We were there late Aug. Andrew, were by perchance going up Indian Pass from Titcomb Basin late one day in the pouring rain. Some guys with really small packs stopped at our tents (three of them) about 2 miles below the pass by the stream crossing right on the trail.

I stay off the res ....... no particular reason, just less hassle.

I've been looking at the route from Blaurock up to Iceberg Lk on the east side....That's what we have tried to hit twice but no luck with weather. It's not a section to get caught in.

Last edited:
@WasatchWill -

We're both writing posts at the same time, missing the others remarks before adding something new.

I appreciate your comments, and thank you for relating to online fatigue. We're probably a lot less far apart than you'd think. Hopefully we get a chance to meet in person sometime.

Checking out for the night.

It's all good!:twothumbs:

I've been looking at the route from Blaurock up to Iceberg Lk on the east side....That's what we have tried to hit twice but no luck with weather. It's not a section to get caught in.

Is Iceberg Lk the unnamed lake below Pedestal Peak? If so, that's the exact route that we were eyeing. From there, climb to the Divide and work your way to Downs Mtn. Then get the hell down before the weather rolls in. As you said, it's not a place to get caught. I really think you have to wait for a weather window on this route. If you can't wait, you need to know some lower-elevation options so that you can keep pressing on even in bad weather.

Planning a trip in the southern Winds this summer and read through this old post. CLASSIC!

As for @Andrew Skurka and his advice...I have to admit that my pack has adapted over the years to resemble his style in many ways. I don't address him directly because it appears his account has gone inactive.

He is not on the Discovery Channel chasing Big Foot. Until that changes I'll continue to respect the guy.

Go from Sweetwater..... Bonneville basin, east fork

I have a GPS route in the resource section ...... But can't find it since the forum changed..... Hey Nick.....!!!

Reactions: Ben
Thanks for bumping this thread so I could re-live that one time @Andrew Skurka came on BCP to call out Joey for that whole balls thing. :D

Hehe......my route is more interesting....one of these days I'll add the northeast end from Ross Lake