Snowshoeing to Castner Glacier Ice Cave, Alaska Range

Outdoor_Fool

This is actually from November 2019, Thanksgiving weekend. We were in the midst of a warm spell so I decided to go visit an easily accessible ice cave in the Alaska Range with my son. All the pics were taken with my phone so I'll apologize now for any pixelated images.

The ice cave is a little over a mile from the road; in summer it's a fairly straight shot up the floodplain along a trail/old road. In winter, there's a bit more meandering. The ice cave actually sits in what appears to be one of the terminal moraines of the glacier. The active front edge of the glacier is another few miles upstream.

There was a couple that tried to hike to the glacier earlier than us but without snowshoes. Some of their post holes were 3-4 feet deep and apparently took some digging to extricate themselves. We caught up to them at the vehicles. They had a fun day but were whipped; they ended up turning back about 300 yards from the entrance.

There were a couple spots along the creek where running water was exposed, the snow depths there were about 4 feet. The creek was, as expected, running low and was only a foot deep or so.

Riley at the outset.
IMG_0878.JPG

Our mutt Willow enjoying the fun.
IMG_0880.JPG

Riley working on his snowshoeing skills.
IMG_0888.JPG

Nearing the ice cave.
IMG_0894.JPG

Riley and Willow on final approach.
IMG_0896.JPG

About to enter the gaping maw.
IMG_0902.JPG

At the entrance. Riley wants to go running in he's so excited.
IMG_0904.JPG

We thought the bands of rock and dirt were interesting.
IMG_0905.JPG

Looking out. The trails on the right side are willow ptarmigan.
IMG_0907.JPG

We are about 80 yards in, I think we went as deep as 100 yards in but was having too much fun checking things out to keep tracks of my paces.

IMG_0924.JPG

A better view of the inside.
IMG_0929.JPG

I'm not sure why there are all these bubbles in the ice but it was pretty cool to see.
IMG_0930.JPG

We're heading back out the way we came. Some glaciers/moraines have tunnels to walk through and out, but this one is just a cave, that we know of. I've never heard of anyone talk about walking through this to a back opening though. We were turned around by a channel of flowing water. The cave was still large enough to keep walking but the water was deeper than we were prepared for.
IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

At this point on our way in, there was a loud crack which sent me lurching for the exit. Riley thought it was cool but didn't seem to respond. Not sure what caused it as we were standing still at the time, unless Willow stepped on a weak spot.
IMG_0945.JPG

We spend about a half hour in the cave, which gave us plenty of time to explore it. I may take my hip waders next time to see how far back we can go.
IMG_0950.JPG

Ice_cave_RC&Willow.jpg

I put this one in for @scatman I'm not real big on photos of myself.
IMG_0946.JPG

Riley making an exit.
IMG_0969.JPG

Some scenes from the way out to the highway.
IMG_0973.JPG

Moose tracks through the snow.
IMG_0978.JPG

IMG_0981.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

Riley grabbing some water. The temps were almost too warm, right around 32 F. I was down to my shell and a thin layer underneath and was sweating mightily.
IMG_0989.JPG

Happy girl. Hanging with her peeps.
IMG_0990.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    309 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 9
Wow this is so cool! I would have been ready to hit the exit after I heard a loud crack too!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kwc Adirondack Snowshoeing on a sunny day Winter Sports 0
kwc A Frosty Snowshoeing Adventure in the Southern Adirondacks Winter Sports 0
kwc Adirondack Snowshoeing Hiking & Camping 2
pstm13 Snowshoeing With Kids: So Much Fun it “Yurts.” Winter Sports 11
kwc Sunday Snowshoeing in the southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 3
Miya A First Attempt at Snowshoeing - Now I am Hooked Winter Sports 12
Outdoors24 Snowshoeing Cedar Breaks National Monument Winter Sports 2
Yvonne Snowshoeing Northgate Peaks, Zion NP, December 2018 Winter Sports 10
kwc some Adirondack snowshoeing ... Winter Sports 2
Shirt357 Winter hikes/snowshoeing near Fort Collins Trip Planning 8
kimbur96 Brainard Lake, CO snowshoeing Everything Else 0
swmalone Perry Canyon Snowshoeing Winter Sports 2
swmalone Looking for Softshell/snowshoeing pant suggestions Gear 6
danger02ward Snowshoeing Lewis Peak and Ben Lomand Peak Winter Sports 4
Lucas Erickson Winter Camping/Snowshoeing in Utah? Trip Planning 6
Howells Outdoors Snowshoeing the Old Sorrel Trail Hiking & Camping 11
IntrepidXJ West Bench Snowshoeing Winter Sports 2
steve Snowshoeing American Fork Canyon - Pine Hollow to Tibble Fork Res Hiking & Camping 10
steve Snowshoeing AF Canyon Winter Sports 15
steve Invite Snowshoeing/Hiking up AF Canyon Sat, 12/14/13 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Yvonne Snowshoeing near Wildcat Trailhead, Kolob Terrace Winter Sports 5
Dave Invite January full moon snowshoeing Meet Up (Members Only) 26
pixie1339 Snowshoeing For Dummies Gear 23
IntrepidXJ Black Canyon Snowshoeing Winter Sports 2
Dave Invite Moonlight snowshoeing Meet Up (Members Only) 2
IntrepidXJ Snowshoeing to Water Dog Reservoir Winter Sports 3
IntrepidXJ Christmas Eve Snowshoeing on the Mesa Winter Sports 4
JamesM Snowshoeing Cedar Breaks National Monument Hiking & Camping 0
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
Rockskipper Did someone put another monolith on Mt. Wilbur in Glacier? General Discussion 14
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - "The Collector" Hiking & Camping 7
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - BCP Fix Hiking & Camping 11
westy Invite Glacier Peak, Washington Meet Up (Members Only) 2
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
ram Glacier Peak July 2021 Backpacking 9
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
chandlerwest Glacier Nat'l Park - August 2021 (Fulfillment of a Dream) Hiking & Camping 9
chandlerwest Glacier National Park - June 2021 Hiking & Camping 8
zionsky Glacier NP to Implement Ticketed Entry for Summer Season Trip Planning 29
forest dweller Invite update / edit - have off second and third week in August - wanting to backpack in Glacier, Olympic or Yellowstone, hinges on finding companions. Meet Up (Members Only) 37
travel2walk trip report: Wind River Range – Ross Lakes, Bear Basin, Grasshopper Glacier, & Dinwoody Creek loop, Aug-Sep 2020 Trip Reports 41
marquiri Anyone Submit Their Application for Glacier Yesterday? Trip Planning 3
Outdoor_Fool Gulkana Glacier Re-visited Backpacking 4
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
E Glacier National Park in Mid July Trip Planning 0
Dave Sperry Soaker (Glacier NP, 2019) Backpacking 10