Album Snow and Winter Shots

After a crazy mild winter, we finally have had some cooler temps in 2019. Saturday morning, we reached this milestone for the first time in 3 years.

View attachment 74171

:cold::cold::cold: Ok, you win @Outdoor_Fool - How warm is a "crazy mild winter" where you are ?
I grew up with Celsius and -40F is the only Fahrenheit temperature, that I don't need a calculator for.;)

Lunchtime Whiteout today... the new 12-14" or so made for knee deep post holing. Combine that with the wind. It was a short lunchtime hike, and oddly my feet are still wet?
:rolleyes:
Snowshoeing is on the docket tomorrow.
IMG_5634.jpg

and oddly my feet are still wet?

@Ugly - Do you use snow gaiters? We got a foot of snow here yesterday too, but the wind chill was -20 to -30F this morning. The wind and temperatures are crazy now. Glad you got outside! I might have to dig out the goggles and full face mask for hiking tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
@Ugly - Do you use snow gaiters? We got a foot of snow here yesterday too, but the wind chill was -20 to -30F this morning. The wind and temperatures are crazy now. Glad you got outside! I might have to dig out the goggles and full face mask for hiking tomorrow, I can't sit inside two days in a row.:rolleyes:

when going on a serious hike, yes... last minute lunch excursions of the unprepared type? no.
I think I am leaving work now for another romp in the wind and snow. Lucky we are not too near your New England temps.

Last week we helicoptered into the Campbell Icefield Chalet in the backcountry north of Golden, BC, for the first of our 3 weeks of looking after lodge operations over the course of the winter. While it's not all fun and games- I had to troubleshoot an issue with the micro-hydro system, for example- we were also there to ski every day.
P1050110 copy 3.jpgWith the lodge in the background, I broke trail for Jo and I across vast alpine meadows filled with wildflowers in summer, and then over a col for powder turns on sunny slopes. On the way back in late afternoon as the blue hour began to descend, the moraines adjacent to the icefield- which lies hidden beneath the peaks in the photo below- were illuminated with a silvery glow.
P1050117 copy 3.jpg

Always love to visit the Maybird gulch and see the spectacular views of the mighty Pfeifferhorn in the winter.
5C1056CC-7D94-4D45-A579-3CB0BF795807.jpeg

The beautiful maybird gulch.
379457EA-3309-4452-BF39-D2FD5F321D97.jpeg

The beautiful view of white baldy from the ridgeline between maybird gulch and red pine.
8C014D86-D656-459D-9D3B-8C2A02166699.jpeg
The beautiful thunder ridge.
23C4829F-67DF-4782-8434-7ADE43499A53.jpeg
The mighty Pfeifferhorn and its impressively rugged northern ridge.
76EEB475-1D33-4DBA-9EED-FA304BDD211A.jpeg

A few days of arctic air with light snow and calm winds had frosted the aspen groves at Nose Hill Park in Calgary, which claims to be Canada's largest urban park. It was still -23C as I headed out yesterday with the camera, which presented some challenges keeping hands warm, and called for quick shooting before stuffing my fingers back into the cozy confines of my down jacket. Nonetheless it was a great morning for a walk in the sun, with some decent results:
_1000177 copy 3.jpg
Gallery-Frosted Trees

Always love to visit the Maybird gulch and see the spectacular views of the mighty Pfeifferhorn in the winter.
View attachment 74808

The beautiful maybird gulch.
View attachment 74809

The beautiful view of white baldy from the ridgeline between maybird gulch and red pine.
View attachment 74810
The beautiful thunder ridge.
View attachment 74812
The mighty Pfeifferhorn and its impressively rugged northern ridge.
View attachment 74814
@danger02ward, did you climb that north ridge?

Last edited:
Bryce after a snowstorm

i-BgTXsnL-XL.jpg

i-V4cjWJc-XL.jpg

i-PT7hP3H-XL.jpg

Seems winter waited to the end to give us the business here. Another ~6 inches last night. Spent a couple hours clearing my driveway (1/4 mi long and kind of a complicated mess in the building site itself) today. Calm, clear winter day, the kind that's been rare this winter. Lots of grey skies this year, it seems.IMG_20190220_174347_679.jpg

Seems winter waited to the end to give us the business here. Another ~6 inches last night. Spent a couple hours clearing my driveway (1/4 mi long and kind of a complicated mess in the building site itself) today. Calm, clear winter day, the kind that's been rare this winter. Lots of grey skies this year, it seems.View attachment 75234
Tractor Man! Oh wait that is our other BCP supporter.... :cool: