Snake River Petroglyphs, Swan Falls Dam to Wees Bar

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Ben

On sunday we went out to the Snake River at Swan Falls Dam. We walked across the dam and then down the river for three and a half miles to Wees Bar where i had read there were some good petroglyphs. We only saw a couple other people on the side of the river we were walking on, but on the other side there is a gravel road that is well used for access to the river.

Some big fish below the dam.
DSCF3128.JPG

Small rapid on the Snake.
DSCF3132.JPG

Giant gravel left by the Bonneville Flood.
DSCF3133.JPG

An other giant gravel bar down canyon.
DSCF3136.JPG

Brittinei said she saw a tail indicating this was a beaver.
DSCF3137.JPG

Looks like an old oven at the Priest Ranch site.
DSCF3141.JPG

And an old foundation.
DSCF3144.JPG

DSCF3145.JPG

An other rapid.
DSCF3148.JPG

Remnants of an orchard. From the other side the trees are in rows.
DSCF3150.JPG

DSCF3151.JPG

There's a big pipe coming down from the canyon rim to the river.
DSCF3155.JPG

The rounded boulders left from the Bonneville Flood is referred to as 'melon gravel'. This is the start of it at Wees Bar.
DSCF3159.JPG

I wasn't certain that i'd even find any petroglyphs here. I'd never been before, i didn't know what to expect. But i found them. This one looks like a chinese character.
DSCF3163.JPG

Once i found it though, i could barely turn around with out finding an other rock covered. All of the glyphs were on southern faces in the rocks that the sun keeps from being covered by lichen.
DSCF3164.JPG

All abstract shapes. No sheep or anthropomorphs here. Suns were identifiable. Lots of dots, geometrics, and squiggles.
DSCF3169.JPG

DSCF3174.JPG

DSCF3175.JPG

DSCF3178.JPG

DSCF3182.JPG

DSCF3183.JPG

In the distance you can see the Owyhee Mountains.
DSCF3184.JPG

DSCF3185.JPG

DSCF3192.JPG

Closest thing i found to anthropomorphic.
DSCF3195.JPG

DSCF3198.JPG

DSCF3199.JPG

DSCF3200.JPG

DSCF3206.JPG

DSCF3209.JPG

This rock was probably my favorite.
DSCF3213.JPG

DSCF3218.JPG

DSCF3220.JPG

DSCF3226.JPG

Different rock than the one above. Just similarly shaped.
DSCF3230.JPG

DSCF3231.JPG

You can't really tell, but this is probably the biggest lizard i've ever seen in Idaho.
DSCF3236.JPG

DSCF3240.JPG

DSCF3246.JPG

And then we walked back. I probably was only out there for about a half hour, but we got a late start, about five, and we barely made it back before it was actually dark.
DSCF3259.JPG

DSCF3260.JPG

DSCF3262.JPG

Dinner.
DSCF3264.JPG

We turned around at just the right time.
DSCF3266.JPG

Swan Falls Dam at night.
DSCF3271.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Nick

Spiral out.
Cool petroglyphs. I love seeing them places like that.

Love the petroglyphs. I'm amazed at how prolific those Anasazi were in graffiti-ing up the whole southwest. Seems like they're all over the place out there.

Reactions: Ben

southernlady97266

RAWarrior
Gorgeous photos! Is this over in terms Hells Canyon area? I've been there once many years ago and would love to go back.

I have a picture of some petroglyphs I found over in central Oregon a couple of summers ago over around Cove Palisades Lake Billy Chinook area. Am going to try and get back to that area in the next month or two.

Ben

Not near Hells Canyon, these are south of Kuna, Idaho.