Sky Pond (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023

TheMountainRabbit

"The mountains don't care."
As part of my resolve to get out for more day hikes locally, I'm going to try to post a few more trip reports. We'll see if I can keep it up. (Plus, @scatman does it and I think he's basically who I want to be when I grow up.)

Decided to take this past Saturday and do a little winter hiking in RMNP. Up until the last second I really wasn't sure where I wanted to go. Sky Pond is a fantastic summer hike that I've done on a few prior occasions, but I'd never been up during the winter. Decided to give it a shot. Fortunately in winter I didn't need to wake up at 4a to avoid the crowds, so I slept in a bit and got on trail around 9a. Bear Lake TH parking was maybe 1/3 full.

Conditions were fantastic and cold - pretty windy as I moved higher up, but not nearly as "bad" as many previous winter trips.

There was a pretty good trench all the way up to Loch Vale - only microspikes needed.
20230107_094909.jpg
Looking down from the canyon a bit below Alberta Falls. Not much to see of the falls this time of year.
20230107_100145.jpg
20230107_101619.jpg
Looking up towards Glacier Gorge.
20230107_102622.jpg
The sections below the Glacier Knobs were pretty windblown and dry - compared to the rest of the route.
20230107_102915.jpg
Approaching Loch Vale where the wind really began to pick up. The windblown snow obscured the track in places, but still easy enough to follow.
20230107_110109.jpg
Short video from the frozen Loch Vale.
Continuing up from Loch Vale. I was happy to have carried my snowshoes here - started postholing to my thighs w/o them. (Saw a couple people w/ only spikes making it up, but they didn't look like they were having as much fun.)
20230107_112642.jpg
Steep ascent of Timberline Falls. Snowshoes came back off and axe came out for this part - not necessary, but good practice anyway.
20230107_120153.jpg
Frozen main body of the falls. A couple guys were ice climbing this on my way down. Looked like fun, but so much gear...
20230107_120155.jpg
Windblown section above the falls. I chatted w/ the climbers and one joked that it looked like a snowmaker was running off the top of the falls.
20230107_121144.jpg
At Lake of Glass - hard to get a good picture w/ the sun reflecting off of everything.
20230107_121251.jpg
First look at Sky Pond.
20230107_122442.jpg
I've always loved The Sharkstooth. Very dramatic formation.
20230107_123433.jpg
Quick video from the middle of Sky Pond.
Looking back across Loch Vale on the way down.
20230107_133412.jpg

All in all it was a pretty nice day in the mountains. :)

As part of my resolve to get out for more day hikes locally, I'm going to try to post a few more trip reports. We'll see if I can keep it up. (Plus, @scatman does it and I think he's basically who I want to be when I grow up.)

Your day hikes are slightly more adventurous than mine. :thumbsup: And while I am honored to be considered worthy of your admiration, I think you should set your sights much higher than little old me. :) You're the real deal in my book. I may have to bestow the title of Honorary Scatman to you. :)

Also, I may need to pull you in on some of my trips this year since I now refer to you as the "Bear Magnet!" :D

Keep posting your day hike reports. I loved this one.

Last edited:
It looks like you should have brought some ice skates for the lakes :D
A nice report that brings back memories of our road trip to Colorado and Wyoming in September 2011, when we attended my nephew's wedding in Estes Park, and spent a week hiking Indian Peaks and RMNP, including Sky Pond:
ColoradoMedium003.jpgColoradoMedium016.jpgColoradoMedium022.jpg

Your day hikes are slightly more adventurous than mine. :thumbsup: And while I am honored to be considered worthy of your admiration, I think you should set your sights much higher than little old me. :) You're the real deal in my book. I may have to bestow the title of Honorary Scatman to you. :)

Also, I may need to pull you in on some of my trips this year since I now refer to you as the "Bear Magnet!" :D

Keep posting your day hike reports. I loved this one.
Well, if nothing else I aspire to your consistency. I've been enjoying your trip reports for many years.

I'm happy to serve as bear bait any time. ;)

Fortunately in winter I didn't need to wake up at 4a to avoid the crowds
...or t-storms, neither of which I miss about living in the Front Range.

W o w….80 here today……thanks for Collin it down some with th snow adventure!