Short(ish) Yellowstone/Tetons Road Trip suggestions?

Getting pretty pumped for the trip in just over 5 weeks.
Looking for some photo ideas especially

Stuff on the way between SLC and Idaho Falls (where we're staying the first night)
Sunset and Sunrise spots near Idaho Falls
Stuff on the way between Idaho Falls and West Yellowstone. (I think we're going to swing through Bear World, and I'd like to see Upper Mesa Falls, what would be best time of day to photograph Upper Mesa Falls?)
Sunset and Sunrise spots in Yellowstone National Park? (I'll be there Monday afternoon until Thursday morning)
Sunset and Sunrise spots in Tetons (Mormon Row Barns for sunrise?)

I'd also love suggestions for places to try out some night sky photography....

Reactions: DAA
The river in downtown Idaho Falls is a good spot to spend time with your camera. There is not much between SLC and IF without taking a major detour IMO.

Just a thought...If you really want to get ambitious near IF with a sunrise shot you could hike up the north Menan Butte just before sunrise and get shots as it rises over the Tetons. I use the trailhead on the west side of the north butte but there may be other trailhead with a more direct route to the east side.However, the west side trail is established and marked. The hike is short but semi-steep.

Mesa Falls both upper and lower down in a canyon if I remember correctly so consider that with regard to lighting. It's a good spot. Cave falls is another local favorite in that area but the cave collapsed a few years ago and the drive is out of the way so I would probably suggest you skip it unless you had extra time in the area.

If you plan to fish or camp on the Idaho side near Ashton/Mesa Falls let me know. I'll IM you a good spot.

Upper Mesa Falls is definitely worth the stop. The Lower Falls aren't nearly as impressive as the Upper Falls, but since you're right there you might as well see both. Mid morning is the best time to be at the Upper Falls to get rainbows in your shot. There's also a nice overlook along the Mesa Falls Byway of the Tetons from the backside. This would make a nice sunset location. More info here:

http://www.visitidaho.org/scenic-byways/mesa-falls-scenic-byway/

Grand Teton N.P. is primarily a sunrise park because of the orientation of the mountains. Last summer I did sunrise shots at Oxbow Bend, Moulton Barn, and on my last morning Snake River Overlook followed by a hike down to Schwabacher Landing immediately after sunrise for reflection shots. All are great sunrise locations, but Moulton Barn was the most crowded, so get there early if you go to make sure you get the spot you want. Another place that I haven't been at sunrise, but I'll bet would be nice is the Signal Mountain Overlook. With a moderate zoom lens you could get some nice shots of Jackson Lake backed by the Tetons.

check the park website in your planning. There is a lot of road construction and temp closures this year.

If you want a really good view of the area, drive to the top of Sawtelle Peak in Island Park. It's a decnt gravel road. Gate should be open then. On a clear day you can see 100 miles, 360 degrees.

The river in downtown Idaho Falls is a good spot to spend time with your camera. There is not much between SLC and IF without taking a major detour IMO.

Just a thought...If you really want to get ambitious near IF with a sunrise shot you could hike up the north Menan Butte just before sunrise and get shots as it rises over the Tetons. I use the trailhead on the west side of the north butte but there may be other trailhead with a more direct route to the east side.However, the west side trail is established and marked. The hike is short but semi-steep.

Mesa Falls both upper and lower down in a canyon if I remember correctly so consider that with regard to lighting. It's a good spot. Cave falls is another local favorite in that area but the cave collapsed a few years ago and the drive is out of the way so I would probably suggest you skip it unless you had extra time in the area.

If you plan to fish or camp on the Idaho side near Ashton/Mesa Falls let me know. I'll IM you a good spot.
Not much of a fisherman, and won't have more than a half day or so (we'll get to IF in early afternoon and take off in the morning for West Yellowstone), but I appreciate the response, North Menan Butte looks like a really cool spot, possibly for another visit more hiking/photography intensive :)

Upper Mesa Falls is definitely worth the stop. The Lower Falls aren't nearly as impressive as the Upper Falls, but since you're right there you might as well see both. Mid morning is the best time to be at the Upper Falls to get rainbows in your shot. There's also a nice overlook along the Mesa Falls Byway of the Tetons from the backside. This would make a nice sunset location. More info here:

http://www.visitidaho.org/scenic-byways/mesa-falls-scenic-byway/

Grand Teton N.P. is primarily a sunrise park because of the orientation of the mountains. Last summer I did sunrise shots at Oxbow Bend, Moulton Barn, and on my last morning Snake River Overlook followed by a hike down to Schwabacher Landing immediately after sunrise for reflection shots. All are great sunrise locations, but Moulton Barn was the most crowded, so get there early if you go to make sure you get the spot you want. Another place that I haven't been at sunrise, but I'll bet would be nice is the Signal Mountain Overlook. With a moderate zoom lens you could get some nice shots of Jackson Lake backed by the Tetons.
Thanks for the suggestions and info! I think we'll hit up the Mesa Falls byway on our way up after visiting Falls Creek Falls earlier in the morning. Getting psyched for this trip (and trying not to get overwhelmed!)

Best breakfast in W Yellowstone....Running Bear Pancake house on Madison.
Big Springs Loop road in Island Park, nice drive, nice springs, old cabin

I'm thinking about Teton next week for 2-3 nights.

Any good primitive camp grounds in the area? BLM land close by?

Any hikes you would recommend in the 4-6 mile range (taking the wife).

Grassy Lake road, w of Flagg Ranch....see my post in resources. West side on the Targhee up Teton canyon