Shaman's Panel

Ha ...... got bored and was looking thru old disks....

Most of this others have posted good reports. Just thought everyone would like to look at different pics for the winter...

Great Bob! I have a permit to see it and walk by in March. Stoked. Thanks for the preview.

Last edited:
Oh, don't underestimate the Trailmaster. He has been around the block a time or 300. Now we just have to get him to write more prose :p

Reactions: Ben
Great Bob! I have a permit to see it and walk by in March. Stoked. Thanks for the preview.
Art are you joking, or do you really nead a permit fot that area these days?
I would be a bit hesitant to go there again in one of the current rental SUVs, that only have a "donut" as extra tyre.
The BLM part was OK, but i remember the last bit of the road inside the NP as a potential tyre wrecker.

Did you just do this hike? Roughly, 7 miles round trip; correct? Thx

Art are you joking, or do you really nead a permit fot that area these days?
I would be a bit hesitant to go there again in one of the current rental SUVs, that only have a "donut" as extra tyre.
The BLM part was OK, but i remember the last bit of the road inside the NP as a potential tyre wrecker.
Henk, you don't need a permit to day hike to it which is the most common way in and is only about a 7 mi. round trip. You need a permit to overnight as we do for a four day trip.

The whole road in from the highway, variously called the Mt. Trumbull Road, the Tuweap Road or the Toroweap road is pretty much two wheel drive and no high ground clearance necessary. The last little bit on the spur road up to the GCNP campground requires a high clearance vehicle.
The crux of the road, as you alluded to, is traversing it without getting flats. I've traveled it and gotten no flats, single flatted, double flatted and in one case triple flatted. That was an adventure caused by my buddy not having decent steel belted radials and a donut spare. the north half of the road is just as likely to flat your tires due to the fresh, sharp limestone gravel laid down by the uranium mining company for its big trucks up on the north rim as the lava based gravel farther south. Fix a flat is really your friend and works well. You can all bring/buy a flat repair kit (rubber plugs and tools). I have one of these but have never had to try it. People here report it isn't that hard and works well. Then you use an air compressor or fix a flat to pump the tire back up. Long answer.

Art, I remember a nice truck road........just don't do it wet. It's really bad. The main Toroweap road was worse with the loose gravel, cause you could go 55mph.

Easy day hike...................... or stealth.

I'm totally blown away. Please tell me where we are and describe picture #3.

Yep, right off the Tuckup trail.....on rocks all over the place.