Sawtooth Mountains (Iron Creek - Pettit Lake)

Chuck the Mauler

Formally known as "kcwins"
In 2015, I had the opportunity to hike in the Tetons with @Ben (along with a few other members here). It was the beginning of new friendships and new trails for me. In April I spent time in Canyonlands NP and on the Colorado River with Vegan and 2 others. We talked about a trip with Ben in the Sawtooth Mountains around Labor Day. But first I had to get a trip to Glacier in. Once all the “Glacier” pieces fell into place, it was time to book flights to Boise. @Vegan.Hiker was unable to join us….bummer. But the plans moved forward. I had talked with Ben a couple times on the phone and had sent messages back and forth regarding the trip, route, logistics, etc. Everything was set.

We arrived at the Boise airport and contacted Ben. He pulled up in his silver SUV holding a sign “Chuck the Mauler and friend”. We were off. After stopping to grab a few last minute supplies, we headed to the TH. It was a 3+ hour drive and it was beautiful. We arrived at the Iron Creek TH around 6:00PM as I recall. Loaded the packs, took a couple pics and off we went. There were 5 of us. Ben, Brittinei, Isaac (the black lab), Matt and I. The plan was to get just a couple miles in this day. We did just that.
DSC_0004.JPG

Day 2 started with piss poor coffee (because I left the espresso machine at home) comfortable temps and high spirits. We were all looking forward to the day. We wrapped up breakfast; broke down camp and up we went. The morning climb would take us past both Alpine and Sawtooth Lakes. From there we would start to head down the North Fork Baron Creek where we would stay for the night. After dinner it started to rain so we called it a night.
DSC_0022.JPG DSC_0033.JPG DSC_0039.JPG DSC_0040.JPG

Day 3 we would sleep in and get a late start out of camp. We had a long gradual uphill hike to Baron Lake. It was busy there. So we decided to see if we could find a good location to camp at Upper Baron Lake. Jackpot! Not only was it a great spot, but we had it all to ourselves. Views of Baron and Upper Baron Lakes, mountain peaks to the North and West….awesome! After dinner we were all a little chilled, including Isaac. From this point on I would cover him with my fleece and rain jacket each night in camp. We also shared the same nalgene bottle for the next few days. I decided to stay up and screw around with my tripod, DSLR and the stars. I didn’t have good luck for whatever reason. Perhaps because I didn't plot out or put together a plan when it was still daylight out.DSC_0069.JPG DSC_0078.JPG DSC_0083.JPG DSC_0087.JPG DSC_0100.JPG

Day 4 we woke to clear sky’s and cool temps. Packed up and….again, up we went. We made short work getting to the pass and took some time here to scramble to an unnamed peak. Matt and I pulled up short, while Ben made his way to the top. After getting back to the pass we took a group photo (I’m not hauling this DSLR and tripod around for nothing) and headed down to Alpine Lake. We continued down to Redfish Lake Creek where we would stop for lunch. It was clear and REALLY cooling off. So Matt and I decided to get a jump on Speedy Gonzales (Ben) and start heading up to the Cramer Lakes. We planned to stay at Middle Cramer. We arrived early again and when Ben, Brittinei and Isaac arrived we decided to keep going and stay at a tarn just above the lakes. For whatever reason, that 1 point whatever miles drained me. Perhaps I needed calories….don’t know. So we set-up our tents, grabbed some food and enjoyed another peaceful evening. The talk of a Vegan, Denali, Grand Canyon, Maroon Bells and Teton trip in 2017 where the center of the discussion.DSC_0101.JPG DSC_0105.JPG DSC_0107.JPG DSC_0109.JPG DSC_0114.JPG DSC_0119.JPG DSC_0125.JPG DSC_0130.JPG

Day 5 would start with the sun lighting up the mountain peaks as we ate breakfast and prepared for…..you guessed it, an uphill climb to the pass. Ben, Brittinei and Isaac would be the first ones out of camp and made quick work of the climb. Matt and I arrived a few minutes later only to find Ben off grabbing another unnamed peak. At this point we would head down past an unnamed lake and Virginia Lake. We decided to stop at Edna Lake for lunch. It didn’t disappoint. From here our planned destination was Imogene Lake, and it was mostly uphill. We made it to the first pass where we would turn and head back down….knowing that we would have to regain all of the elevation we were about to lose to get back up to the next pass leading to Imogene. Once we were at the pass leading down to Imogene we decided (without Ben because he was headed up to grab yet another summit) that we were going to camp elsewhere. It didn’t make sense to go down to Imogene just to have to backtrack the next morning. Life was good. Then we heard Isaac crying. Oh shit! I sure hope everything is OK. I spotted Ben and he said to “Call Isaac”. We did and he came down a few minutes later. He was visibly upset and his back leg seemed really sore. When Ben came back down we filled him in on the details and headed back down toward Edith Lake for the night rather than Imogene. It was a great call! We gathered wood for a fire (our first of the trip) and had dinner. After dinner Ben and I wandered away from camp to check out our surroundings. I was in awe. We had a clear view of the White Cloud Mountains, the valley floor and Salmon River that separated the two ranges. We sat there and watched what was probably the most incredible mountain sunset I had ever seen. It was a “moment” for me. I didn't want to leave. I didn’t want to go to camp and tell the others about it. I didn’t want to miss one second of it. I felt like I was looking at an old portrait. Ben informed me of a couple of fires in the area and I suspected the distant, thin level of smoke added to the pink, orange and red colors I witnessed as the sun set.DSC_0137.JPG DSC_0141.JPG DSC_0142.JPG DSC_0144.JPG DSC_0155.JPG DSC_0157.JPG DSC_0160.JPG DSC_0173.JPG DSC_0185.JPG

Day 6 would be a short day. But like many others filled with mountain passes, lakes and views. Ben told us early on that the direction we were headed would be saving the best for last. He wasn’t lying. Each day seemed to offer bigger views and prettier lakes. Out of camp we headed down then back up to Bowknot and Taxaway Lake. I was amazed at their size and beauty. Just beyond there we would head back up for the last time on this trip. We stopped for lunch at one of the unnamed lakes before continuing up to Snowyside Pass which offered jaw dropping views of Twin Lakes, Snowyside Peak and the range to the West and North of us. Again I took out the tripod and camera and insisted that we take a couple group pics. Everyone seemed to cooperate except for Isaac. He NEVER wanted to face the camera. Now we were headed down to camp at Alice Lake. We arrived in camp really early and took a nap. Reality and “the world” started to creep in to my thoughts. This was our last night. The talk of Pizza, burgers and onion rings helped to ease the pain of the thought of our adventure being over.DSC_0190.JPG DSC_0201.JPG DSC_0203.JPG DSC_0211.JPG

Day 7 we packed up for the last time and got an early start to Pettit Lake TH where Ben’s car had been staged for us. We made short work of the last 6.29 miles and were back to the TH in 2 hours and 5 minutes. We headed to Stanley to grab some fuel and snacks and headed back to Boise.

DSC_0222.JPG

Final thoughts:

I would hike with Ben and his crew anytime, anyplace.
The Sawtooth Mountains were tough but rewarding.
The amount (and size) of alpine lakes was incredible.
Hiking with dogs is cool. Even when you have to share the same water bottle.
Total mileage was 55.61 according to PDF maps. Elevation change was off the chart (kidding).
While accurate, never leave home with only a GPS. Not having a map was very frustrating.
There was a noticeable lack of wildlife. The ONLY disappointment.
There is still hiking to be done in 2016, but, it’s time to start planning a couple 2017 trips with Ben and Vegan.
Video to follow in a few days.

Last edited:
I love seeing when BCP members meet up for trips. This looks like it was an awesome one. I really liked that sunset shot looking over to the White Clouds. What a beautiful area!

So bummed I missed this. I vow never to miss a trip with you guys again! Everything about this looks amazing, especially those reflections and sunsets. So I assume Isaac was okay after his leg got banged up? Thanks for the great write up Chuck.

Isaac was OK. We feared we would have to exit a day early (which I would have done in a heartbeat) when he had a tough time walking on it that night. For the next 2 days, Ben carried his pack and food. He was exhausted after the trip. I was glad to have him with us! And I was glad I carried a 48oz nalgene bottle rather than the standard 36oz. Isaac and I shared the bottle. DSC_0140.JPG

John, lets get the talks for 2017 going soon. Would you entertain any of those options?

Jackson, thanks for the kind words. It is indeed a beautiful area! I'm a glass half full person 99% of the time and have always had positive experiences with other backpackers. Glad to have met both John and Ben (along with a few others here).

Thanks danger.

Isaac's mostly just a whiner. He was alright, but we did take his backpack off for the rest of the trip. It looked like the straps had been rubbing him a little too much. His biggest issue seemed to be being stiff, and exhausted, like the rest of us at that point.

He's completely back to normal now.

I know I'm leaving out a crap-ton of details, but I'm sure @Ben will chime in with the important stuff.

Last edited:
Looks like a great route with some great people. Awesome scenery. Thanks for the trip report and pictures!

are the last two pics Toxaway - I did the latter part of this trip a couple of weeks ago and was trying to recognise the lakes. However, Twin Lakes from the pass is earlier in your pics - maybe they aren't in the order you hiked past them......or my recognitions skills are poor!

After Day 6 there is a pic of Toxaway from the head of the lake, then Twin Lake from Snowyside Pass, then a group shot then 2 (1 at dusk the other at dawn) of Alice Lake. I wish I had taken more pics of Toxaway Lake. It is beautiful! I think the pics are in order. @Ben !? Where are you? Add some of your fine work to the thread when you have the time.

Great pictures! Did a short trip in the area several years ago - did Toxaway - Pettit Lake loop. Looks nicer now since a lot of the pine bark dead trees are fallen. When we went the trees were just dying and had lots of brown needles.

After Day 6 there is a pic of Toxaway from the head of the lake, then Twin Lake from Snowyside Pass, then a group shot then 2 (1 at dusk the other at dawn) of Alice Lake. I wish I had taken more pics of Toxaway Lake. It is beautiful! I think the pics are in order. @Ben !? Where are you? Add some of your fine work to the thread when you have the time.

I believe your first picture is from a small lake we went past a little down stream from Toxaway. And you're right, your final two pictures are from Alice Lake.

Great trip report with great pics!
I'm planning a sawtooth hike for the first week of September 2017 and I'm curious what were your day and evening temps like ?
Thanks!