Sandstone Romping for Fall Break

Ugly

Life really is better Here
Though I have a few reports that I could share. The most recent is always the easiest to get motivated to do the work to post.

Since I was up with the Aggies crushing Hawaii, and another trip is on its way next week... Well, I thought I would post this one.
I probably should have pared down the pics, but heck. Next time I will be more judicious. :rolleyes:

A couple of weeks ago we took advantage of a weekend without soccer. It was mostly on a whim. Thought about the week before, but not acted on until the week of. Weather was going to be cool or even cold, had some potential for wet, but mostly fell in the days between bands of rain.
I had contemplated taking all four kids, but the younger two were less interested in the cold nights. So it became just the oldest two, who were given some options, and chose a familiar place.

When the petrified sand looks like this. Even if it is a little chilly at night. Little wind. No bugs. No heat. Few people.
It is magic.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181375-recipe.jpg

The night before I actually took a pic of the food and car goodies, minus things like the salami and pastrami. Lately all I have time to do are short trips, and I have been fond of the heavier, non freeze dried foods. Especially in the shoulder season when a good meal is needed for a long, cool night. On an overnight it is almost always Pho ramen or something similar. If it is a couple or a few nights... something else is needed to go with my bad sweet tooth and snacking habit.
IMG_4734.jpg

Wherever the wind blows... Unknown first night destination.
The drive in the afternoon went by quickly. Singing a few songs. Talking about school. A little niggling concern about where to spend the first night.
Add in a few scattered snow squalls.
To avoid making dinner, I got the kids a footlong sandwich in Torrey. I had a couple cheesesteaks earlier that we had made for a work lunch, so I was good.

It was snowing on Boulder. So I wanted to see what we could find on the busy weekend on this side.
We drove out to Panorama Point, passing the at large campsites. Now that Fruita is reserved online, that place is always full and the growing crowds spread out to look elsewhere...
One of the little cabin places advertised $45 and vacancy. It was tempting... but no. Cheap was the word for this trip, not glamping.

The at large right before the entrance to CRNP was RV city. It looked like a sunbird trailer park in Lake Havasu or Kingman.

We drove past.
It did not matter.
The departing storm was beautiful.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180031-bw.jpg

We went back to a place I had seen that was empty, and passed time going on a hike that was equally empty and usually sees far less use.
It was beautiful.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180049-recipe.jpg

Still one of my favorites of the year.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180112-recipe.jpg

Snow squalls clearing off Boulder Mountain.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180125-proc-sh-small.jpg

We were getting muddy feet while the lifting mist started to let in the golden light.
Just before this pic I scraped my forehead really good on a dead juniper branch that I did not see. Had a gash from the middle of my forehead to my ear. Stupidly not watching where I was turning, but good thing it was not my eye. I pulled out this cheap muff thing and tied it off to stop the bleeding. It only would make me more beautiful for all those IG shots I take...
Death Hollow II Oct 20180174-recipe.jpg

As a kid I loved castles. These are sandstone versions that rise from the Chinle.Death Hollow II Oct 20180177-proc.jpg

Death Hollow II Oct 20180211-bw.jpg

As we hiked back the scene was fitting for it being nearly Halloween, or maybe as a scene from The Birds. Ravens were returning from the fields to roost by the literal hundreds. My son ran up to me all excited. "Dad, stop and listen. You can hear the swoosh of their wings."
I smiled. It is one of my favorite sounds. Especially in a canyon.

We stayed the night a bit uncomfortably in the back of the jeep. The mud was frozen by midnight, but the thought of setting up a tent might take away the possibility I had of sunrise from one of the Boulder Mountain overlooks.
By 6am windows were defrosted and we were cruising up Highway 12 alone.
We pulled into the main overlook.
I put up my tripod as red light spread beyond the Henry's and La Sals.
Mice ran around across my feet in the near darkness. My kids stayed in the jeep and played a game.
A group of photogs with camera gear and lenses that would pay for most of my house pulled in and setup noisily.
The light got better.
Younger kids pulled up and took videos and selfies with their phones. I laughed quietly, occasionally reframing or pressing the remote shutter every once in a while.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180274-proc.jpg

As soon as the sun started to crest the Henry's, the photog group clambered back into their vehicles and were gone. I wandered off into the boulders smiling. Sure, I wished for a better setup and longer lens, but I was there for the joy of it. They missed some of the best stuff. imho
Death Hollow II Oct 20180333-recipe.jpg

First night and side trip were out of the way. Now the real trip could begin.

Except for one couple who we passed us a few miles in and leapfrogged the rest of the way. We did not see anyone for hours. My son and daughter did not squabble much, exception being my daughter complaining about my son, who was leading, and his tendency to stop suddenly to look at a rock or for no reason.

We had almost two miles down before a poptart and granola breakfast.

The juniper, pinyon and sage flats were frosty. Mist was rising as the wet sand and frost met the sunlight.
The crypto was blooming green and yellow in places. The sand being frozen in spots made it all a dream.
Still I smiled.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180411-proc-sq.jpg

Views got better.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181570-proc.jpg

and Better.Death Hollow II Oct 20181595-proc.jpg

My kids oooed and awed at the view. Contemplating it briefly. Which is a long time for teens and preteens.
We lingered in the sun for a couple of hours. Shoes off. Half in sunshine, half in shade.
We ate pastrami and salami.
My son climbed up everything he could.
A gentle breeze blew.
Still high in the top 5 favorite views.
I smiled.

Eventually we made our way down. Our only distraction was a good sized Racer that I almost stepped on very near the bottom. My son chased it for a little while and had it snap at him, but I never could get a picture of its head. It was too fast. I finally convinced him to let it be.
The canyon bottom proved the only sore point of the trip. As we did an out and back, it would be a sore point both ways.
This disappointed me some.
In my childhood, the canyon bottoms were a wonder. I loved the stream crossings, the smell of decaying leaves, wet sand, the bouquet for the senses. The living things all fighting for the precious wet, damp, cool place.
My kids mostly complained.
It did not matter. I still love it.
I still flashed my pearly whites at the views.

We did the nearly dozen crossings and pushed through the poison ivy.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181663.jpg

The colors in places were amazing.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181623-recipe-crop.jpg

Once we hit our exit, they both dutifully washed their legs and ankles while I filtered some water for the evening, and then we pushed onward and upward.
They were tired. My normal pains were there, but no matter. Today's goal was in sight.
I found a place.
We setup the tent. Wandered. Talked. Took naps.

Dinner was eaten just before the bluebird sky started to go violet with the belt of Venus.
Hot Ramen with some torn ham for the kids, and Tom-Yum Ramen with ham for dad. It tasted great and warmed cold hands.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180501-proc.jpg

So here is one question.
The spirals in the pic below.
It seems these are likely just "recent" work.
Does anyone know what gives?
I have looked online, but do not see any mention.
I forgot to get a closer picture of them, because I did not have my camera the first time we went down by them to check them out. But look at the spirals in the 4 o-clock below.
They took a fair bit of effort. Those lava boulders are heavy. Especially the ones in the lefthand circle.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180488-proc.jpg

As night fell we played a few games, and talked under a cloudless sky that was filling with stars. It was silent but for an occasional breeze and a few songs we played.

The next morning I was out early. I do like the very early, predawn shots.
No tripod, but a couple rocks helped out.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180540-sh-n-small_1.jpg

The rising sun, potholes, reflections, tell-tale clouds.
Spectacular!
Death Hollow II Oct 20180641-recipe1.jpg

Death Hollow II Oct 20180654-proc.jpg

Death Hollow II Oct 20180670-recipe_1.jpg

You know that scene in The Holy Grail? where Lancelot is charging Swamp castle?... These next few are like that.
It's for fun.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180681-recipe-s.jpg

Getting closer to these fantastic Ponderosas.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180698-recipe.jpg

Death Hollow II Oct 20180696-bw.jpg

Then in your face. Bam!
Death Hollow II Oct 20180709-proc.jpg
"It would not be good for my... my...."
"Your idiom sir?"

The rim views were great. Even as it clouded up and produced a few morning sprinkles.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180762-recipe1.jpg

I waited a long time for this chiarascuro. Leaving my kids as I sat high on the rim watching clouds.
Smiling and then beaming when it finally came.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180774-recipe.jpg

Later...
Death Hollow II Oct 20180828-bw.jpg

Eventually we packed up as the clouds started to clear out. The kids were not interested in going farther. Which was sad, no new ground this trip. I had gone a quarter of a mile in during the morning and tried to talk them into it, but no luck.
Back down into the canyon we went.

More color.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180850-recipe.jpg

The climb out had my son's largest flare up. He was a little cold, wet and tired.
I tried to be patient.
The bit of anger fueled him up on the climb. He is funny to follow because he does not pay attention and misses the cairns and trail that seem so easy for my daughter and I to see. So I would let him take some wrong turns and wait patiently for him right where he left the trail, until he cliffed out or went the hard way. Sometimes he growled at me, but as we neared the top, the climb beat it out of him and soon he was smiling again.

Just like his dad.

One of the times at the end where he kept his own space.Death Hollow II Oct 20180906-proc_2.jpg

We lunched on tuna and crackers, then napped in the same spot as the day previous. It was much warmer. We wandered about barefoot on the cool sandstone.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180958-proc.jpg

Death Hollow II Oct 20180990.jpg

Eventually we wandered off to find a spot for that night. I had a spot in mind, and with only a couple of complaints we were there with just a bit more effort.

The scenery was still beautiful along every turn.
Death Hollow II Oct 20180992-bw.jpg

For some reason these little enclaves amaze me. Little micro ecosystems in a sea of harsh, desert stone. Lit by wonderful golden light.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181026-recipe.jpg

We found some lithic scatter. My son was there for a half hour. One of the places had far less than a previous visit. Sadly.

Back at camp. The Sunset was worth it.
More smiling as I ate my pouch of Fish People Bouillabasse and the kids had Lipton Teriyaki. We laughed about stinky farts caused by canyon water and junk food.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181069-recipe.jpg

Blue Hour... or Lavender.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181120-recipe.jpg

My son thought he could still enter Reflections at school. So we talked about what he wanted to do. Turns out they were due the week before we left, but not knowing that, he came up with and took this shot of me. In the dark I hit the ground a bit harder than I would have liked and smashed my fingers on the sandstone. Now the tips of two of my fingers were bleeding and throbbing.
I still had blood in my ear from day one.

We smiled.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181126-n.jpg

We enjoyed another peaceful night. It had cooled so much when the sun went down, I had thought we were in for a cold one, but it turned out fine. As we were talking geese flew over, honking. Then came back again. We laughed that they must be lost and the wife was probably honking at the husband.
It was a wonderful night with just a little sprinkling of rain in the wee early hours.

I woke up early again. Going to bed at 10pm does this to me. So after an hour or so of headphones... at 6am I snuck out and wandered.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181182-recipe.jpg

"I don't know why, but it looked like a tiger striped sky..."
Death Hollow II Oct 20181241-proc.jpg

Death Hollow II Oct 20181307-recipe.jpg

Crocodile... or Alligator. From here, I cannot tell the difference. Just like chipmunk or squirrel...;)
Death Hollow II Oct 20181412.jpg

The golden light and sandstone.
Sorry, but I just had to indulge in multiple photos here. For those who are still paying attention.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181419-recipe.jpg

Death Hollow II Oct 20181450-bw.jpg

Death Hollow II Oct 20181479-recipe.jpg

Death Hollow II Oct 20181492-recipe.jpg

Last one.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181505-proc.jpg

The hike out again was peaceful. The mileage was fairly easy. The sky steely gray. The rain started to drizzle the last hundred feet.
Still, I was smiling. But sad to have to leave.
Death Hollow II Oct 20181510-proc.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful report- the sunrise pictures are incredible! Sorry about the injuries... Both to fingertips and ear, wow. I walked into a juniper tree on Upper Muley twist Friday, also wondering how I didn't see that. Probably because we are looking at the wonderful scenery here.
It's pretty amazing to read about kids that age even have the desire to go backpacking and sleep outside when it's cool, congratulations @Ugly .

Could have used a few more pictures!

Great style and great kids, not only a hike with dad, willing to backpack in the cool season! Great job.

Thanks. I actually partially mispoke, because I had forgotten.
The six year old daughter who I didn't tell that she wasn't going until the night before, because I had assumed about the cold, cried because she wasn't going.
But no way she could quite do the mileage yet, and she's just too big for me to put on top of my shoulders and sit on my backpack like I used to.
She says she loves nature, but hates when her legs feel tired... ha ha ha

Annoyed at myself that I'm not sure where this is. I think this general route is in an Allen book, mind saying if that's correct?

Thanks. I actually partially mispoke, because I had forgotten.
The six year old daughter who I didn't tell that she wasn't going until the night before, because I had assumed about the cold, cried because she wasn't going.
But no way she could quite do the mileage yet, and she's just too big for me to put on top of my shoulders and sit on my backpack like I used to.
She says she loves nature, but hates when her legs feel tired... ha ha ha

@Ugly ..... Right now I feel like your 6 year old daughter, we just came back from hiking the Navajo Knobs. I love nature but my legs are tired. Accumulated mileage from this week I suppose.... We are in Torrey right now and I read your report several times and searched satellite images at 4:30 am this morning to see if I could figure it out. Guess thats what I will be doing this evening too. Let me know if you have any hints? you can always delete the hint in a few hours ....

@Ugly ..... Right now I feel like your 6 year old daughter, we just came back from hiking the Navajo Knobs. I love nature but my legs are tired. Accumulated mileage from this week I suppose.... We are in Torrey right now and I read your report several times and searched satellite images at 4:30 am this morning to see if I could figure it out. Guess thats what I will be doing this evening too. Let me know if you have any hints? you can always delete the hint in a few hours ....

For you and @regehr ... although I was purposely ambiguous in this report. It was not perhaps for the reason it would seem.
I was in this same area last year, so left out the actual name of the place just because I do know many are familiar.

Here was last year:
https://backcountrypost.com/threads/in-and-out-boulder-mail-trail-to-dh.7161/

Navajo Nobs is a fantastic hike, and those views... I am sure with the golden cottonwoods it is special.

For you and @regehr ... although I was purposely ambiguous in this report. It was not perhaps for the reason it would seem.
I was in this same area last year, so left out the actual name of the place just because I do know many are familiar.

Here was last year:

Navajo Nobs is a fantastic hike, and those views... I am sure with the golden cottonwoods it is special.

Thanks! My guess (Deer Creek area) was wrong anyway.

Lovely, lovely, lovely. I would have disassembled the spirals. That kind of vandalism (yes, it's vandalism) drives me nuts.

I figured, but I also would have thought someone might have posted something somewhere that I could have found with sleuthing. They are visible from space, so easy to find and destroy...
37.8403699, -111.5228526

Here was last year:

@Ugly - that's funny! Glad the mystery is solved, now I can sleep tonight.
The Cottonwoods are just past peak, it's been very windy all week, but the trees are still very showy. Will post some pictures tomorrow from the Navajo Knobs hike.

Nice photos and Trip Report! Thanks for posting! So much enjoyed it. How much do I love that good canyon country. Wishing You the Best!

Stunning! Kudos to your kids! As I tell mine, when they're a little older, they'll be sharing pics of themselves in such places with their friends and their friends will probably envy them a bit.

Beautiful pictures. So cool that your kids want to go with you. My 10 yr old has interest, but has the same tired leg issue and he gets eaten alive by bugs. My 17 yr old doesn't understand why I would walk in the woods for hours for no reason.

Mmmm pho...

Beautiful share! I always love seeing your trips! The crocodile/alligator rock, I just imagine someone using their hand to pretend they are a predator, like a puppet! :)