Sams Mesa/Twin Corral Box Canyons Loop from Burr Point

Joey

walking somewhere
This is a 4 day backpack I did earlier this week. We started at Burr Point, dropped down to the Dirty Devil River, and headed up Sams Mesa Box Canyon. We climbed out of that, and dropped into Twin Corral Box Canyon. Then we headed back down to the Dirty Devil, and climbed back up to Burr Point.

For a look at the route, check it out here: Click here to view on CalTopo
Here is the trip video:

An overview look:
burr point loop red.png
burr point loop terrain.png

Day 1 we hit the trail about 8:30 in the morning. Overlooking the Dirty Devil River, we drop down several hundred feet.
DSC_0395.jpg DSC_0403.jpg DSC_0411.jpg DSC_0417.jpg

We reach a shelf, and follow the edge around for a few hours.
DSC_0424.jpg DSC_0428.JPG DSC_0436.JPG

Soon we have our first views of our canyons. Looking out at the Dirty Devil, with Twin Corral heading off to the right:
DSC_0443.JPG

Looking towards Sams Mesa Box Canyon. You can make out an old miner's road along the river.
DSC_0444.JPG DSC_0445.JPG

Another view of Twin Corral:
DSC_0448.JPG

After passing a spring, we drop down steeply to the river:
DSC_0458.JPG DSC_0460.JPG

Next we crossed the Dirty Devil:
DSC_0466.JPG DSC_0470.JPG DSC_0475.JPG DSC_0476.JPG

We followed the old road bed towards Sams Mesa:
DSC_0481.JPG DSC_0488.JPG DSC_0494.JPG

Lots of petrified wood:
DSC_0496.JPG

DSC_0497.JPG

Finally we reached the canyon:
DSC_0502.JPG

We took a short cut, which cliffed out. We found this crack to drop down:
DSC_0506.JPG DSC_0509.JPG DSC_0510.JPG

Then we headed up the canyon:
DSC_0517.JPG DSC_0525.JPG DSC_0530.JPG DSC_0542.JPG

There was plenty of water. We set up camp down in the wash:
DSC_0543.JPG DSC_0550.JPG

Day 2 is in green:
day 2 green.png

Our plan was to head up the main wash, staying to the right. Then we were going to try climbing a non technical route out. We started off around 8:30am, and quickly ran into a lady hiker. She was part of a NOLS group of 12, who were on a 21 day backpack down from Horseshoe Canyon. Very talkative, she informed us that we couldn't get out without ropes farther up canyon. Their group had scrambled down boulders near where they camped, and we could easily get up that way. We thanked her, and continued on. The canyon was beautiful:
DSC_0555.JPG DSC_0559.JPG DSC_0564.JPG DSC_0565.JPG DSC_0572.JPG DSC_0582.JPG DSC_0587.JPG DSC_0600.JPG

We climbed above 2 dryfalls:
DSC_0612.JPG DSC_0616.JPG DSC_0621.JPG DSC_0627.JPG

The next part of the canyon requires ropes, so at this point we headed straight up:
DSC_0632.JPG

DSC_0634.JPG

DSC_0636.JPG DSC_0638.JPG DSC_0645.JPG

DSC_0646.JPG

These next 2 pictures are looking down the canyon, where we had come from:
DSC_0648.JPG

DSC_0649.JPG

We reached a great sheep trail, and took it both directions for a while, looking for our route out of the canyon. We knew there was a way, we just couldn't find it. Eventually, we decided to follow the sheep trail north.
DSC_0653.JPG

That ended up being the wrong way. We did climb up near the top, and came within a few feet of getting out.
DSC_0657.JPG DSC_0658.JPG

But things ended up getting sketchy, so we decided to keep walking along the shelf, hoping to find another way.
DSC_0661.JPG DSC_0665.JPG DSC_0668.JPG

Eventually, we realized there was no way out near us, so we dropped back down into the canyon. We had to navigate steep terrain and several pour offs on our way down.
DSC_0675.JPG DSC_0682.JPG

Back down in the canyon, we headed back to where the NOLS girl had told us we could scramble out. Of course, their entire group was standing in the wash as we passed. As we walked by, we could here the girl in the background saying "Hey, I saw those 2 guys this morning. I told them they wouldn't be able to get out that way". We both put our heads down, and continued on our walk of shame.
DSC_0690.JPG

Soon we reached the side canyon, and headed up the boulder field:
DSC_0694.JPG

Looking back down the canyon:
DSC_0693.JPG

It was almost dark when we finally made camp. I was worn out. But our camp overlooking the canyon was worth it:
DSC_0697.JPG DSC_0700.JPG DSC_0705.JPG DSC_0706.JPG

Day 3 is our route in purple. The yellow is where we dropped our packs, and hiked up canyon to explore:
day 3 purple.png

It rained briefly during the night, and was overcast when we set off to the top of the mesa:
DSC_0714.JPG DSC_0716.JPG DSC_0721.JPG

After a few hours, we started dropping into the south fork of Twin Corral:
DSC_0724.JPG DSC_0728.JPG DSC_0732.JPG DSC_0736.JPG

Then we dropped our packs, and headed up canyon for a few hours.
DSC_0744.JPG

I believe this is a bridge. You can see the light coming through behind it:
DSC_0749.JPG

DSC_0752.JPG DSC_0758.JPG DSC_0770.JPG DSC_0771.JPG DSC_0776.JPG DSC_0779.JPG

There was plenty of water in the canyon.
DSC_0782.JPG

DSC_0784.JPG

DSC_0786.JPG

A little waterfall.
DSC_0790.JPG

After a few hours we headed back to our packs, and then down the canyon before setting up camp:
DSC_0805.JPG DSC_0809.JPG

Day 4 we headed down the canyon.
DSC_0814.JPG

DSC_0820.JPG

DSC_0821.JPG

DSC_0831.JPG

DSC_0836.JPG

DSC_0843.JPG

DSC_0845.JPG

DSC_0846.JPG

We reached the Dirty Devil, which was a few inches lower than it had been the first time we crossed:
DSC_0848.JPG DSC_0849.JPG

Then it was few blistering hours back up to Burr Point. The end.

Last edited:
love backpacking in the roost. Thanks for some new ideas.

Awesome! Love it all.

BTW -- Kelsey does show a way out of Sams Mesa Box Canyon pretty close to where you were. But... some of his routes can be crazy (especially with packs.) Either way -- I wouldn't consider your exploration a failure and definitely not deserving of a walk of shame when passing the group!

Awesome! Love it all.

BTW -- Kelsey does show a way out of Sams Mesa Box Canyon pretty close to where you were. But... some of his routes can be crazy (especially with packs.) Either way -- I wouldn't consider your exploration a failure and definitely not deserving of a walk of shame when passing the group!
Thanks man! That was the route we were shooting for. I don't think we went far enough up canyon once we started climbing up above the second pour off. We hit the sheep trail, and started back tracking, which doesn't really match his map. Just gives me a reason to go back and find it:).

Keep Wyoming clean, dump your trash in Utah. What a singularly ugly place, reminds me of Mordor.

On a more serious note so much of Beehivelahnda is exquisite like this. Really beautiful, thanks for sharing man.

i read a report of these canyons a couple years ago. very interesting, you've got much better pictures.

that's pretty epic...big country...thanks for posting! hope you pounded some calories when you got back:) you deserve it!

that's pretty epic...big country...thanks for posting! hope you pounded some calories when you got back:) you deserve it!
Thanks man! We ate bacon blue burgers at Groggs in Helper on the way back. I should have mentioned that, because those burgers were pretty freaking awesome!

The fact that you and other people are able to find a descendable weakness in those Wingate cliffs surrounding the dirty is impressive to me. I know there's the Miner's rap south of Burr point but I didn't know there was a way down to the north. I'd love to use those routes from Burr Point as I find Poison Springs road and all those ancient uranium roads to be bad news driving wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joey
Thanks for the info. We made the loop thanks to your report and, of course, Kelsey. I wanted more info from both of you , however, on the Wingate bypass on the S. Fork. Omg. I about turned around but with some ball holding crept on down. Did you have problems with that? Or not? I would have said something.
I noted you guys as animals for doing the upper and lower exits on SMBC in ONE day!!
Join the fray @ my report.
I guess I ruffled some feathers.
dj

Reactions: Ben
Joey doesn't visit this forum hardly anymore........