Running Shoes vs Boots

Yup, I'll definitely test them on dayhikes before trying to take them on longer trips. And there are certain rocky trails around here I wouldn't hike in anything but boots. Also @steve even though they are zero drop my superfeet copper insoles have slightly raised heel cups, so I don't think they'll feel all that different, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Bob
The research on ankle support has been focused on basketball, not hiking.

I bought my first low-top hikers a few years ago. The first trip was so liberating I'll never wear boots again unless deep snow or lumberjacking are involved.

As for the article referenced, I completely agree that light, non-goretex shoes stay dryer than waterproof boots. I'd rather walk light shoes dry in an hour or two than have wet (and heavy) boots for the whole trip.

I disagree about ankle support - I had weak ankles before I got in shape (which took several years) and hi-top boots made a difference.

There are big differences in low-top hikers/trail runners/etc. I have a pair that was more like running shoes, allowed my feet to get bumped & bruised on a trip, and had big chunks fall off the sole on rocky trails. I'm on my second pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D and they have a shank in the sole and are designed to prevent stubbing your toes. These are great with loads and rough terrain.

I've worn out 3 pair of low-tops in the last 3 years. Consider them disposable.

I was looking at the Saucony xodus 5.0 trail runners for the up coming season. Anybody wearing these? I know it's a quality shoe and has a vibram sole. I need a little firmer sole. My last pair of NB trail runners I used last season just did not cut it for me(no vibram sole).The bottoms of my feet would get sore and tired when I used them for backpacking. In all my shoes/boots I will put in a new comfy sole insert. I find this adds a ton more comfort.
Trail runners are not meant for running on hard surfaces or in the gym. Found that out last year. Bought a good pair of regular NB running shoes for that.
Otherwise I've been wearing Merrell low hikers for the last several years. I don't need the ankle support. I did purchase last year a pair of Salomon low gaiters. Seem to give me a little support in the ankle. First time wearing gators and I will never go hiking without.
I also think It's nice to have different choice of shoe/boot for all different terrain/seasons.

The most important thing about footwear to me is, wear them. Wear them around the house, getting groceries, doing yardwork, whatever. I never hit the trail with shoes that aren't proven to be comfortable and good for the trail I am on. I will wear a pair for a few months on and off before ever setting out on a overnight or long hike in them.

I normally keep a few pair of shoes in different stages of wear on hand.

I switched last year from boots to trail runners and for the first time I'm really happy. I always rolled my ankle in boots !!! and my knees hurted more in boots than in trail runners. THis year will be the first year to do all my mountain trips in trail runners and I'm super exited.
I have a pair for desert trails without goretex and then the goretex trail runners for the mountains with expected wet conditions at some point. So far I have used both pairs only on local hikes and they are super comfy.
THe funny fact is that my ankle appreciates the trail runners way more than boots and I have never rolled it so far.

Me too! I used to think I needed mid-height boots because I would roll my ankles so much, but it hardly ever happens in shoes. :confused:

this is funny!!!
I thought I was pretty alone with this weird behavior of my ankles.

Did you feel any difference on your knees while hiking in trail runners? For me the trail runners work and I had less knee pain when wearing them.

I was looking at the Saucony xodus 5.0 trail runners for the up coming season. Anybody wearing these? I know it's a quality shoe and has a vibram sole. I need a little firmer sole.

I've got some saucony xodous 4.0 which don't look any different. They're narrow and run small. The lugs have great traction, but for some reason I don't like hiking in them. Maybe they just don't fit my foot well, or maybe they're too narrow. Regardless, they're not the trail hiking shoe I had hoped they would be. Maybe your luck will be better. They don't breathe very well at all in my opinion.

They're narrow and run small
Thanks Steve. That's exactly what I my feet need.
They don't breathe very well at all in my opinion
Dang it. I was gona order some online maybe I'll wait and do some more looking.
My other 2 choices are the Merrell Moab and the NB Leadville 1210 V2.
I might just have to buy both. Try both out and see what my feet like.

have you considered the brooks cascadia? I've heard great things about those.

Thanks Steve. That's exactly what I my feet need.

Dang it. I was gona order some online maybe I'll wait and do some more looking.
My other 2 choices are the Merrell Moab and the NB Leadville 1210 V2.
I might just have to buy both. Try both out and see what my feet like.

I liked my Merrell Moab until I tried the La Sportiva wildcats. I would like to try the Brooks and Altra's

No but it looks like there's another shoe I need to go try on. thanks

For me I run in Altras, love zero drop but I am not sure I would want it hiking. I think some heel rise is nice especially when gaining elevation. I haven't tried it though and am thinking about getting some lone peaks to test out (I just really love my Altras when running).

As far as day hikes, I love low top none waterproof hiking shoes.

Backpacking... I like my Vasque breeze 2.0s, they are gore tex and I would say I have not experienced the sweaty foot problem. I have slipped into some creeks I LOVE the waterproofing personally. They have a ton of vents in them (hence the name breeze) so if they do get wet they dry almost as quickly as my low tops. For me the nice sturdy bottom and waterproofing is important for all the creeks, rocks, logs and mud bogs that plague Uintas. not sure I would ever want one of those heavy duty backpacking boots but I do like a good higher top waterproof boot.

I really think it is different for everyone though ,what works for some doesn't for others. Not sure my pack has ever been below 30 lbs, but I can see the logic of lighter shoes for those that can do that!

Also as Steve warned it is wise to ease into zero drop footwear. It can put a lot of strain on your achilles if you are not used to it. I eased into the switch and I won't go back now!

Tons of people love their moabs, I think that's a very safe bet.

Where is a good place in the Salt Lake valley to try on some different shoes? I am looking to try some Inov8 Roclites and maybe FiveTen Campfours. I did try on the Merrell Moabs and liked them but the store I went to no longer has them.

Scheels has the best selection of trail runners that i've found. I've heard running specific stores have a lot of trail runners too.

I haven't found a store with a wide selection of brands of low-top light "boots" or FiveTens yet.