Ribzz Front Back

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
Wondering if anyone wears a front pack with their
backpack and what your experience has been.

Watched this video today and I'm seriously considering.

If you ever backpack to climber-centric destinations like the Cirque of the Towers, you'll probably see people getting way crazier with front packs. I've seen guys with full size huge backpacks on front and back to accommodate their climbing gear on that trail.

I personally don't want more stuff on the front of me (the camera is plenty). Another issue is downward visibility when you're dancing through rocks. But I can see the logic in wanting access to a few things without stopping.

They're ok. I have one and have used it before. I have two main gripes about them

- the straps, once tangled (which happens the instant you remove the thing), are rage-inducing to straighten out

- they are hot. You will be amazed at the amount of sweat that area of your torso can produce if you are traveling anywhere warm/humid.

Thanks for the input. That is the kinda
real world experience I was looking for.

The guy in that video is a member of the forum. It's @Devin Ashby. I know he likes his Ribz pack for the quick access it offers him for some specific items, but it doesn't hurt to throw a mention his way to see if he's found any more cons to it since he made the video.

The guy in that video is a member of the forum. It's @Devin Ashby. I know he likes his Ribz pack for the quick access it offers him for some specific items, but it doesn't hurt to throw a mention his way to see if he's found any more cons to it since he made the video.
I know at one point you had some kind of personal set up
where you were able to attach a water bottle to your sternum strap.
How did you do that?

I do want some easy access to a few things, which is why
I was looking at the Ribzz pack, but even more, I'm looking
for some way to have easy access to my water bottle. I gave up
using bladders and haven't found a set up yet that I like for
a water bottle.

Thanks!

@DrNed If you’re looking for something simple for water bottles these might be of interest...

2dcb6357721c925edf7e8a7d2e119984.jpg

I think I bought them at Sportsman’s Warehouse for not very much $$.

They are elastic so they’ll even take the big Nalgenes...

a52ed83ce7ac2842b582c9dcd5aac605.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@DrNed If you’re looking for something simple for water bottles these might be of interest...I think I bought them at Sportsman’s Warehouse for not very much $$. They are elastic so they’ll even take the big Nalgenes...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perfect!

Do they work well? Where do you clip them to your pack?
I'm guessing you get a fair amount of bouncing?

Perfect!

Do they work well? Where do you clip them to your pack?
I'm guessing you get a fair amount of bouncing?

The worked well but they do bounce around a bit. I just clipped them on my pack straps where there is a little cross strap. I've not been using them so much lately as I have camera gear and my InReach up front these days so there just isn't room.

I know at one point you had some kind of personal set up
where you were able to attach a water bottle to your sternum strap.
How did you do that?
Thanks!

Years ago now, I saw something comparable to these for sale in the camping section in Walmart (they don't carry them anymore) but there's some YT vids that show how to make them like this one. I simply hooked the biner up onto my load lifter strap above my shoulder. You can also rig a DIY one up with lighter weight dyneema cord, or any other basic nylon cord, using a small biner and cord lock. To secure the bottom from bouncing around and dangling, I'll take a loop of shock cord with a cord lock on it and thread it through my shoulder pad and the strap that runs down the front of it, and then secure that loop around the bottom of the bottle. May not need to be shock cord for the bottom, but I think it helps take some stress off the cord-lock itself and helps to keep it from sliding loose. If anything, it just makes it so you can quickly stretch the loops on and off the bottom of the bottle without constantly engaging the cord lock.

upload_2018-2-3_17-39-43.png

WB03.jpg

Here's a video that demo's a real simple DIY setup comparable to mine:

And here's one that just employs a single loop on the shoulder strap and the center of the bottle without anything holding the neck of the bottle:

Honestly, there's quite a few vids on YT with people showing off comparable setups.

And if you want more options/possibilities, both commercial and DIY:

http://aquaclip.com/

https://www.99boulders.com/how-to-attach-a-water-bottle-to-a-backpack-strap

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paracord-Water-Jug-Harness/

Years ago now, I saw something comparable to these for sale in the camping section in Walmart (they don't carry them anymore) but there's some YT vids that show how to make them like this one. I simply hooked the biner up onto my load lifter strap above my shoulder. You can also rig a DIY one up with lighter weight dyneema cord, or any other basic nylon cord, using a small biner and cord lock. To secure the bottom from bouncing around and dangling, I'll take a loop of shock cord with a cord lock on it and thread it through my shoulder pad and the strap that runs down the front of it, and then secure that loop around the bottom of the bottle. May not need to be shock cord for the bottom, but I think it helps take some stress off the cord-lock itself and helps to keep it from sliding loose. If anything, it just makes it so you can quickly stretch the loops on and off the bottom of the bottle without constantly engaging the cord lock.

View attachment 61527

View attachment 61528

Here's a video that demo's a real simple DIY setup comparable to mine:

And here's one that just employs a single loop on the shoulder strap and the center of the bottle without anything holding the neck of the bottle:

Honestly, there's quite a few vids on YT with people showing off comparable setups.

And if you want more options/possibilities, both commercial and DIY:

http://aquaclip.com/

https://www.99boulders.com/how-to-attach-a-water-bottle-to-a-backpack-strap

http://www.instructables.com/id/Paracord-Water-Jug-Harness/
Wow!
Thanks Will.

@DrNed I happened by Sportsmans Warehouse the other day. They still have the bottle holders and pretty cheap I might add...

IMG_3047.jpg

I am late to the game here, haven't logged into this forum for a bit. But to give my 2 cents in addition to my video you linked. The biggest con of the ribz pack for me is how freaking hot it is. I sweat pretty bad with it and it makes it pretty uncomfortable in the summer. It however is very convenient and holds a lot of gear. Since I am filming my trips and hikes I like to have it for access to all that gear. But many times I feel that I can get away with not taking it and having a dry bag at the top of my pack with all that same gear.