Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023

scatman

About two weeks before my trip began, I kept a watchful eye on the weather forecast for Mammoth Hot Springs. As the days drew nearer and nearer to my departure date, the forecast became more and more ominous. When I finally started to pack my gear, it definitely looked like a rainy trip was in store.

001.jpg
Getting ready to load our packs

Day 1 - Drive to Yellowstone

Cameras used on this trip:

- Canon Rebel T7i
- Canon PowerShot SX730 HS
- Canon PowerShot D20 (Waterproof)
- Canon PowerShot SD780 Is

Camera taken but not used: (Ask Bob) :)

- Olympus Tough TG-6 (Waterproof)

On June 2nd, we loaded the Subaru and headed north to Yellowstone. We had reservations at Madison Campground for the night, and we planned on stopping in Island Park to say "Hi" to Bob before heading on to West Yellowstone to pick up our official permit for the trip.

Now as you probably know, I usually do a short family trip to the Park to help me warm up to more serious trips later in the summer. This time I opened up the family trip to anyone on BCP who might want to join us for a short stay in the backcountry. @Bob, @ImNotDedYet, and @Dreamer all replied to my invitation, and joined us for the three day trip. @Pringles tried to work around her schedule, but it became impossible for her to find time to join us.

Now where was I? Oh yes, forecasts and such. We stopped by Bob's house and chatted for about thirty minutes, and then we were off to get our permit. We arrived at the Visitors' Center in West Yellowstone and were able to get right into the Backcountry Office, where the gentleman looked us over and decided that we were worthy of a Yellowstone backcountry experience. I added the three to our permit, and then we were on our way to the Park.

Up to this point, we had experienced heavy rain just north of Malad, Idaho, and then a few light sprinkles before Idaho Falls. Other than those two incidences, the weather seemd pretty reasonable to me.

We arrived at Madison Campground, and while I was checking in, it began to rain. We drove to our campsite and waited about an hour and a half in the car, hoping that the rain would stop, but it only seemed to get worse. At 4:30 pm, we said to hell with it and set up our tent in the pouring rain, which I'm sure was a sight to those camped around us.

We then waited calmly in the tent for another hour, without any let up from mother nature. I said, "Let's head to Old Faithful and get something to eat because I don't want to fix dinner in the pouring rain. So off to Old Faithful we went, and enjoyed a meal at the Old Faithful Lodge cafeteria. By the way, as soon as we got about five miles up the Firehole River towards Old Faithful, the rain stopped. On our return, once we dropped into the Madison River Valley, we were right back in the rain. It ended up raining through the night, and I thought that my worst fears were coming true.

01.jpg
Bison on the drive to Old Faithful

02.jpg
Red dogs too

03.jpg
Our tent at Madison Campground

Day 2 - Drive to Blacktail Creek Trailhead, Hike into Campsite 1A2 on Rescue Creek, Day hike to the summit of Turkey Pen Peak

We woke up to more rain on Saturday the 3rd, but it was more of a constant drizzle than a heavy rain. Of course, this meant that we had to pack the tent away wet, and I was afraid that it might mildew while sitting in the car for a few days before I could get back home to dry it out. Fortunately for us, that didn't happen.

So we ate our oatmeal in the rain, and then packed up and headed north towards the trailhead.

03b.jpg
Rise and shine sleepyhead!

Now, we had agreed to meet Bob, ImNotDeadYet, and Dreamer at the trailhead sometime between 10:00 and 11:00 am, and since we left a little early from the campground for that timeframe, we stopped along the way to do the touristy thing as to not be too early to arrive at the trailhead.

Our first stop was Gibbon Falls, and of course it was still raining.
04.jpg
05.jpg

Now there is a story about Gibbon Falls from a previous trip that I'm sure I've told here before. I lost a can of bear spray scrambling down the east side of the falls, after exploring the old stagecoach road and Howard Eaton Trail that does a U turn above the falls. I did I thorough visual search this time to see if I could locate my sixteen year old can of bear spray, but to no avail. :(

The next stop for us was to visit @Pringles at the service station at Mammoth. Just before arriving at Mammoth, the rain/drizzle stopped. So we pulled into the gas station, topped off the tank, and then went inside to say hello. Of course, I had to be a smart aleck and ask if she sold Lays potato chips. :) I already knew what her answer would be. I introduced Sheila and Katie, and after chatting for a few minutes we said our goodbyes and were on our way again.

06.jpg
No, that is not a smile you see on my face. :D

From Mammoth to the trailhead, they are doing some repairs to the bridge over the Gardiner River, so we had to wait a couple of minutes before it was the east bounds' traffic turn to cross the bridge. About ten minutes later, we arrived at the trailhead where Dreamer was already waiting for us. Not soon after Bob drove in. ImNotDeadYet had to stop on his way to the trailhead to pick up his permit for Slough Creek, which he, Dreamer and Bob would backpack right after our trip was done. So we all started to get ready to hit the trail until ImNotDeadYet showed up.

Once we had everybody, and introductions were made, we were off to Rescue Creek.

07.jpg
Bob and Dreamer discussing past and future trips to the Wind Rivers at the trailhead

08.jpg
ImNotDeadYet excited for his first time camping in the Yellowstone backcountry

Rescue_Creek_to_Campsite_1A2.jpg
Map overview of the backpack into 1A2 - it's about 2.7 miles to camp from the trailhead.

09.jpg
Picture at the backcountry information sign. We called ourselves the @Rockskipper Gang. The meanest, orneriest, most trifling
bunch west of the Mississippi! Or at least west of Blacktail Deer Creek. :p

10.jpg
And we are off! Notice who is bring up the rear? Me of course. :scatman:

11.jpg
I cannot resist taking a picture of a trail sign, with the hill climb in front of us. Of course, it is possible that the others are already up
and over the hill at this point.

12.jpg
I would be remiss if I didn't point out the old Howard Eaton Trail that runs to Tower
from here. I can still picture the old horse and mule trains making their way along
this old trail.

13.jpg
Halfway up the hill there are a couple of fenced off areas that are used for research, where no grazing is allowed.

14.jpg
First wildlife of the trip

15.jpg
Ooh, another sign. We will be heading left.

16.jpg
Pretty wide open country

16b.jpg
Hairy Clematis

17.jpg
Bob has found the motherlode! I think he slipped this into his fanny pack and snuck it out after dark. ;)

18.jpg
The @Pringles conundrum. :) Unstable log at stream crossing.

19.jpg
Strawberry flower

20.jpg
Geranium

21.jpg
Canary violet

22.jpg
Our campsite is located just up the draw and around the corner.

23.jpg
Arriving at camp.

24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
A visitor right off the bat. The fox had caught a vole, and was taking it back to its den for the kits.

27.jpg
Hmm ......................... I guess you now know what Scatman attracts. :poop:

28.jpg
The Rescue Creek Hilton is open for business :)

29.jpg
Parry's townsend daisy

After setting up our tents, it was time for those who wanted to go, to hike to the summit of Turkey Pen Peak.

Campsite_1A2_to_Turkey_Pen_Creek.jpg
Overview map of day hike to Turkey Pen Peak, about 7 miles roundtrip

30.jpg
Some nice colors to the hill to the north of us on our way to Turkey Pen

31.jpg
Slender woodland star

32.jpg
Larkspur

33.jpg
Western labrador tea

34.jpg
View to the north. The Yellowstone River is down below

35.jpg
Arrowleaf balsamroot was prevalent

36.jpg
Western blue clematis

37.jpg
Deer skull?

38.jpg
Heart leafed arnica

39.jpg
A bumblebee enjoying a wildflower

40.jpg
View to the north from the trail

41.jpg
First good look at Turkey Pen Peak. We will curve around to the north side for an easier approach, with Dreamer leading the way.

42.jpg
Stoneseed

43.jpg
Lupine

44.jpg
A view to the northwest at Rattlesnake Ridge, Turkey Pen Peak is also part of the ridge

45.jpg
With the town of Gardiner, Montana below

46.jpg
Biennial cinquefoil

47.jpg
Some steep talus to negotiate on our way to the summit

48.jpg
Working her way up

49.jpg
Some scrambling required towards the top

50.jpg
Katie, on the summit, with the Yellowstone River below

51.jpg
Another shot looking down on the Yellowstone River

52.jpg
View off to the north towards Monitor Peak. Still a bit of snow up top.

53.jpg
Scatman down! On our descent from Turkey Pen, I stepped in a hole, and faceplanted into a shrub. I don't remember if Dreamer
told us before or after this that he had found a tick crawling on him. Ticks would soon become part of the trip.

54.jpg
@Dreamer, making his way up the long draw.

55.jpg
A grouse that scared us to death

56.jpg
The dreaded tick. This trip was full of them. The final count that I know of is:
Katie - 12
Scatman - 8
Dreamer at least three
Sheila - 2
Bob - 1
ImNotDeadYet - unknown at this time.
I might add that in over thirty years of backpacking Yellowstone, I had never seen a tick before.

57.jpg
Back at camp, and time for dinner

58.jpg
Lots of bear scat around camp. ImNotDeadyet had a nose for it. :)

59.jpg
1A2's water source

60.jpg
A little color in the sky at sunset.

The end of a good day, with just a light, late afternoon sprinkle since we left the trailhead.

Day 3 - Day hike to the summit of Mount Everts

Woke up to a sunny morning, ate some breakfast and got ready for our day hike to the summit of Mount Everts. It would rain off and on on us throughout the day.

61.jpg
Early morning visitor - three banded ladybeetle

Campsite_1A2_to_Mount_Everts.jpg
Overview map of day hike to the summit of Mount Everts - about 4.5 miles roundtrip, all off-trail

62.jpg
ImNotDeadYet exiting the steep forested section at the beginning of our day hike

63.jpg
Shooting stars

64.jpg
Hilly country on the way up. We are about to enter a small downfall section of our route

65.jpg
Lots of small marshy ponds too.

66.jpg
Raining now as we pass through a patch of glacier lilies

67.jpg
Coming down a draw and approaching a marshy area

68.jpg
And what do we have here? A black bear on the north side of the marsh.

69.jpg
Giving the @Rockskipper Gang a good looking over, now on the opposite side (west) of the marsh from us

70.jpg
And while we were watching the bear, the elk were watching us.

71.jpg
Still circling the marsh, but needed to sit down to take it all in.

72.jpg
It then proceeded to go straight through the marsh, back to its original location when we first spotted it

73.jpg
Still keeping an eye on us as it emerges from the water

73b.jpg
The summit ahead

73c.jpg
Katie and Sheila approaching the summit

74.jpg
Close quarters under a tree to get out of the rain

75.jpg
A Tony's Chocolonely will return moral to a high state! :)

76.jpg
The true photographer of the trip

77.jpg
Sepulcher Mountain, with the summit of Electric Peak behind in the thin clouds

78.jpg
Looking towards (R-L) Quadrant Mountain, Antler Peak, Dome Mountain, and Bunsen Peak

79.jpg
Looking down on Osprey Falls to the southeast

80.jpg
81.jpg
Mammoth

82.jpg
Caterpillar up top

83.jpg
Cutleaf daisies on the summit

84.jpg
Cushion wild buckwheat

86.jpg
Bob, taking some shots to the north, from the summit

87.jpg
The @Rockskipper Gang on the summit. We are actually being photobombed in this shot. Can you tell by what?

88.jpg
Bighorn sheep, that's what. :)

89.jpg
ImNotDeadYet gifted me another heavy spoon, so I felt obligated to take it to the summit. @TractorDoc, notice the burden that
it has put on me? :scatman:

85.jpg
Bob is going over Plan B at the summit. What is Plan B you ask? We'll let's start with Plan A. You see @Rockskipper was supposed
to meet us at the summit with a pack of mules, so that we could ride down the cliffs, probably on one of Bob's infamous horse
trails, and into the community of Mammoth, causing widespread panic to the visitors and townsfolk. Our insider, @Pringles, would
tell everyone that Lays were only available at Canyon Village. This would clear the town of anyone who dare resist our demands.
Amidst the confusion, we would present our demands for the superintendent. One, no more recreation.gov, back to the old
reservation system. Two, restore the Howard Eaton Trail to its Historic Trail status. I'm guessing Skipper must have been shopping
for a camper to not have shown up on such an important mission. :) Plan B was to return to camp and take a nap. After some
deliberation, we decided to take Bob up on his secondary plan. :sleepy2:

90.jpg
A bald eagle spotted on our way down

91.jpg
Our old friend is still at the marsh.

92.jpg
This time it ran up the draw that we had come down earlier

93.jpg
Starting to rain a little bit again - one of the ponds on the ridge.

94.jpg
More glacier lilies

95.jpg
Another shot of the elongated pond.

96.jpg
Raining pretty god at this point. Can you make out the two black bears ahead? One is a cinnamon phased black bear.

97.jpg
Red baneberry - don't eat the berries!

98.jpg
On our return to camp, our friend the fox was back, with another vole in mouth.

99.jpg
Now the day before, when we were hiking up Turkey Pen Peak, ImNotDeadYet noticed that there
was a bison carcass not far from our campsite, so after our hike to the summit of Mount Everts,
Katie and I made our way over to it to check it out.

100.jpg
While at the carcass, our friend the fox came to visit

102.jpg
Just about dinner time

101.jpg
I took this shot just before I went to my tent. I had just finished my dinner, and it had begun to rain again. I was a little cold from
the rain on our hike, being in a kilt and all for the duration. After getting inside my tent, Bob, Dreamer and ImNotdeadYet saw a
grizzly bear down by the pine trees at the bottom of the shot. It took off into the trees on the right when it got wind of them. I
wish that I had stayed out just a little longer so that I could have seen it too. :(

Day Four - Back to the trailhead and drive to Jackson

103.jpg
Soaking up some sunshine for breakfast

104.jpg
Is all that going to fit in my pack?

105.jpg
Sheila, ready to hit the trail

106.jpg
Yep, she fit. I call this my Tom Joad backpack. :)

107.jpg
Bye, bye 1A2

108.jpg
Some horse riders avoided us as we returned to the trailhead. Smart move, you don't want to mess with the @Rockskipper Gang! :D

109.jpg
More clouds moving in

110.jpg
Beautiful country

111.jpg
Blacktail Deer Creek

112.jpg
A look to the west towards the Blacktail Ponds

113.jpg
Bob approaches the trailhead.

114.jpg
Time to divvy up the rest of the Tonys Chocolonely for a successful trip.

115.jpg
On our way to Jackson now. Looking back up the cliffs from Mammoth towards Mount Everts and where I took the pictures from
the day before.

116.jpg
A black bear between Mammoth and Norris

117.jpg
And a grizzly sow with three cubs

118.jpg
A quick stop at the Bear Pit at Old Faithful

Now it is time for a little Scatman gripe session, so put your earplugs in if you don't want to hear it. Let me start off by saying that I like tradition. When I've finished with a backpacking trip in the Park, and within reach of Old Faithful, I like to stop in at the Bear Pit for and appetizer and a brew. My brew of choice is Cold Smoke, a Scotch Ale, brewed by Kettlehouse Brewing out of Missoula, Montana. I can't get Cold Smoke in Salt Lake, so I really appreciate getting it on draught at the Bear Pit. The Pit has been closed the last few years due to Covid, so I was stoked to see that it was open again. As soon as I sat down though, I noticed that they had a new menu. And when I opened the menu, to my horror, there was no Cold Smoke! :timebomb: Instead of Cold Smoke, they had something called Copper Johns Scotch Ale instead. So I ordered a pint of Copper Johns only to have the waitress tell me that they were out. What in the bloody hell is going on? :mad: I had to fall back to my second choice, a Moose Drool. I then asked if we could still order food from the restaurant next door to the Pit. She proceeded to tell me that the restaurant was only buffet style now, and I couldn't order appetizers anymore, but they did have chips and salsa available. Okay, lets have some chips and salsa. As she goes to get the drinks and food, she returns and says that they do have Copper Johns, which was nice. I'll admit that the Copper Johns was rather good, not Cold Smoke, but a reasonable substitute. When the chips and salsa arrived, the chips were all broken into tiny pieces. It was like a herd of stampeding bison had crushed them. Now if I'm going to order an eleven dollar order of chips and salsa, I want whole chips so that I can actually scoop up some salsa. And speaking of the salsa, it tasted more like some fancy ketchup than salsa. Yikes! All I wanted was to sit back and relax, contemplating the trip that had just been completed, chewing the fat with friends (not this time) and family, thinking that this is what life is all about. So members, I am asking you all to write your congressman or congresswoman and ask that they get Cold Smoke, and appetizers back at the Pit for me. I'll get off my Hyde Park soap box now, but Scatman does need his traditions. :)

119.jpg
Enjoying a Copper John Scotch Ale

119b.jpg
Crushed chips and salsa(?)

120.jpg
Now this cheered Scat right up as we headed to our car. She is living life right my friends. :thumbsup:

We were then on the road to Jackson, and an Oreo dark malt from Moos was in my future. But first, when reaching Jackson, we stopped off for dinner at Sidewinders American Grill.

121.jpg
How can you go wrong with an English Bulldog smoking a stogie?

121b.jpg
A ranch burger and fries

122.jpg
And they had Cold Smoke!

123.jpg
Moos on the other hand was closed for what the sign said was computer maintenance. :cry: One needs a computer to scoop
ice cream?

Day 5 - Home to Salt Lake

We woke up early, headed to the Virginian for breakfast, where I ordered a nice spinach and jalapeno with pepper jack cheese omelet. I donated the heavy spoon to the restaurant, as it had grown in sized and could no longer fit into my pack. o_O And we were seated by the Table of Knowledge, which is always a good thing. The table is made up of old locals who know their beans so to speak.

124.jpg
The gifted heavy spoon

125.jpg
The Table of Knowledge

We were then off for Star Valley, and the Shumway Farms. We stopped at the Farm and got some ice cream. I ordered the Oreo Latte - two scoops. It was delicious! If you ever find yourself passing through Star Valley, check out Shumways. Though they open at 8:00 am, they usually don't start scooping until 11:00 am. They made an exception for our 9:30 am arrival.

126.jpg
Their new store is under construction, but you can still get ice cream, or perhaps some raw chocolate or whole milk.

We then were off for Montpelier, Idaho then Bear Lake, Logan Canyon, and Logan.

127b.jpg
Where of course we had to stop in at Utah's best creamery.

128.jpg
I'll expect everyone to have the Aggie fight song memorized by my next report. :D

129.jpg
Oh, just look at it, a work of art. An Oreo malt. The gentleman who made this did an excellent job of mixing the Oreos throughout
the malt.

After indulging in ice cream for a second time that day it was off to Salt Lake and home sweet home.

Thanks to Bob, Eric and Terry for a great trip, and to my family too for that matter for putting up with me in the backcountry.

The End.

Last edited:
It is not a true @scatman trip report unless there is discussion (and in this case a visual) of the Howard Eaton Trail. :)

Glad you did not get rained out and I'd say you had a spectacular wildlife experience! Tell some of those critters to make an appearance later this year. Except the ticks. . . those can stay at Rescue Creek.

So many good pictures in this one, but my favorite is "Scatman Down." I think you should publish a coffee table book with all such images from your trips. You'd make the best-sellers list the first week!

I got Scat to really smile
Details Bob, we need details. What does it take to make this happen? Did you give Hugh the Tony's Chocolonely? He seems very fond of those.

We called ourselves the @Rockskipper Gang.
That is so totally cool. It made me tear up with happiness. The last time I felt like that was when I was sitting in the front of a cop car. The cop asked me why I was smiling, and I said because it was the first time I ever got to sit in the front, they always made me ride in the back.

Some additional pics......

Scat leading us into the deadfall
IMG_0132.JPG

Along the way to Mt Evertts..... in between rainshowers ....

IMG_0144.JPGIMG_0149.JPGIMG_0153.JPGIMG_0154.JPGIMG_0175.JPG

I'll add my few pics from Slough Creek... 1 night along the shore of Slough Crk.... Nice hike in, about 5 miles and pretty nice sunset from camp.IMG_0198.JPGIMG_0200.JPGIMG_0202.JPGIMG_0204.JPGIMG_0216.JPGIMG_0222.JPG

You see @Rockskipper was supposed
to meet us at the summit with a pack of mules, so that we could ride down the cliffs, probably on one of Bob's infamous horse
trails, and into the community of Mammoth, causing widespread panic to the visitors and townsfolk.
I couldn't find a pack of mules - I looked everywhere, but all I could find was a herd.

I tried.

View attachment 121769

View attachment 121770View attachment 121771View attachment 121772View attachment 121773View attachment 121774

I'll add my few pics from Slough Creek... 1 night along the shore of Slough Crk.... Nice hike in, about 5 miles and pretty nice sunset from camp.View attachment 121775View attachment 121776View attachment 121777View attachment 121778View attachment 121779View attachment 121780
They'e all nice, but love the last one best.

And....... I got Scat to really smile ....... Had 2 other witnesses but no one had their camera out.

I think if no photo is taken, then you need three witnesses, or it didn't happen. :D

It is not a true @scatman trip report unless there is discussion (and in this case a visual) of the Howard Eaton Trail. :)

Glad you did not get rained out and I'd say you had a spectacular wildlife experience! Tell some of those critters to make an appearance later this year. Except the ticks. . . those can stay at Rescue Creek.

So many good pictures in this one, but my favorite is "Scatman Down." I think you should publish a coffee table book with all such images from your trips. You'd make the best-sellers list the first week!

Details Bob, we need details. What does it take to make this happen? Did you give Hugh the Tony's Chocolonely? He seems very fond of those.

Bring back the Howard Eaton! :)

I'm saving the big ticket items, grizzlies and moose, for our August trip.

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode. No way a book of Scat embarrassments could sell, though I'm sure I could fill a book.

As for the details: I believe @Bob asked if I was going to bring my camp chair on the Wyoming Range trip in a couple of weeks, to which I replied "No!" Somehow the question caught me off guard and I might have had a small chuckle you see.

That is so totally cool. It made me tear up with happiness. The last time I felt like that was when I was sitting in the front of a cop car. The cop asked me why I was smiling, and I said because it was the first time I ever got to sit in the front, they always made me ride in the back.

Happiness is what the Scat is all about. I know you were there in spirit.

View attachment 121769

View attachment 121770View attachment 121771View attachment 121772View attachment 121773View attachment 121774

I'll add my few pics from Slough Creek... 1 night along the shore of Slough Crk.... Nice hike in, about 5 miles and pretty nice sunset from camp.View attachment 121775View attachment 121776View attachment 121777View attachment 121778View attachment 121779View attachment 121780

Great shots Bob! Thanks for posting them. Is that Slough Creek in your last picture?

The downfall wasn't too bad. I think I struggled with the steepness more than stepping over the logs.

That footprint on your head explains a lot! And BTW, nice TR.

Yeah, that I was cold in the night and had to put a beanie on. :) And thanks.

I couldn't find a pack of mules - I looked everywhere, but all I could find was a herd.

I tried.

A herd would have done the trick. We may need to come up with a Plan C for next time. Give it some thought. :thinking:

They'e all nice, but love the last one best.

That is a good shot.

Well documented my friend! You turned that around fast!

You are definitely "almost smiling" in that picture with Pringles!

There were also some Direwolf tracks on the way in... (you may only get this reference if you were a Game of Thrones fan)

No ImNotDedYet ticks at this point, unless they've crawled deep into a crevice that only a doctor should peer into.

As a Chicago Bears and Cubs fan - teams whose athletic performance has often resembled bear scat through the years, it's easy to see how I'd have a nose for the real stuff.

I was just trying to get you into summer backpacking shape by providing you with another heavy spoon!

That Tonys Chocolonely is great at keeping the morale high! Hopefully you doled some out to the Turkey Pen Peak crew, as that hike sounded like a doozy!

You almost had me convinced to bail on the Slough Creek trip to go to Moos for a malt, as ice cream is my only food group. Alas, it's a good thing I didn't cave. Sorry you had such a hard time getting your malt, but happy you did, along with the Cold Smoke. I'm quite familiar with tradition on trips!

I solemnly swear, as a witness to the fact that Bob did indeed get a chuckle and a pretty big smile out of the perma-frowner we all know as scatman.

A big thank you again to you, Sheila and Katie for letting me come along and experience the backcountry of Yellowstone! It was beyond an enjoyable experience!

I love when the Scatman Yellowstone trip reports start rolling in! This was awesome. You don't see many (any?) from this area on here! I'm devastated to learn about the ticks though. I haven't done much hiking yet this season, so I'm hoping it's not like that over here too.

I love when the Scatman Yellowstone trip reports start rolling in! This was awesome. You don't see many (any?) from this area on here! I'm devastated to learn about the ticks though. I haven't done much hiking yet this season, so I'm hoping it's not like that over here too.

I wouldn't get too concerned yet. The Yellowstone Situation Report singled out this area as "ticks are out", but I didn't see ticks mentioned for any other parts of the park at this point. Bob and I didn't do the Turkey Pen Peak hike and were relatively tickless, and I don't believe Bob, Dreamer or I wound up with any for our hike in Slough Creek. I vaguely recall Dreamer finding another tick while we were in Slough, but we weren't positive that was from Slough, or caught a ride...

That part of Yellowstone is notorious for ticks in the spring.... fall not so much

Well documented my friend! You turned that around fast!

You are definitely "almost smiling" in that picture with Pringles!

There were also some Direwolf tracks on the way in... (you may only get this reference if you were a Game of Thrones fan)

No ImNotDedYet ticks at this point, unless they've crawled deep into a crevice that only a doctor should peer into.

As a Chicago Bears and Cubs fan - teams whose athletic performance has often resembled bear scat through the years, it's easy to see how I'd have a nose for the real stuff.

I was just trying to get you into summer backpacking shape by providing you with another heavy spoon!

That Tonys Chocolonely is great at keeping the morale high! Hopefully you doled some out to the Turkey Pen Peak crew, as that hike sounded like a doozy!

You almost had me convinced to bail on the Slough Creek trip to go to Moos for a malt, as ice cream is my only food group. Alas, it's a good thing I didn't cave. Sorry you had such a hard time getting your malt, but happy you did, along with the Cold Smoke. I'm quite familiar with tradition on trips!

I solemnly swear, as a witness to the fact that Bob did indeed get a chuckle and a pretty big smile out of the perma-frowner we all know as scatman.

A big thank you again to you, Sheila and Katie for letting me come along and experience the backcountry of Yellowstone! It was beyond an enjoyable experience!

Responses to your statements:

Almost! :)

Yeah, I forgot to mention all the wolf tracks along the Rescue Creek Trail.

Lucky you on the ticks, unless of course a doctor is needed.

I think my teams have gone longer without winning the big one than yours - Dolphins and Orioles

The heavy spoon lives!

I didn't take the Chocolonely with us to the summit of Turkey Pen. If I had, there wouldn't have been any left for the summit of Everts, and the trailhead at the end.

Good thing you kept your Slough Creek plans. I was really disappointed that Moss was closed.

@Bob tricked me! :D

Glad you had a good time.

I wonder if the conditions were just right for an explosion of ticks in that area. Why else would they only be a problem in that area of the Park? When I was there 15 years ago in early June with Sheila and the kids, we had no problems whatsoever with them. Of course, Bob says that it is normal for that area to have tick issues this time of year.

@Rockskipper, remember a couple of weeks ago when I was complaining about my camera strap catching on all the scrub oak branches, hindering my progress along the route along Parley's Ridge? :mad: Well, the strap saved my bacon on this trip. You see I forgot to take the plate off the bottom of the camera that I took on the Ridge hike and transfer it to the Rebel I took on this one. So when I got to the trailhead and tried to clip in the Rebel, there was no plate on the bottom of it to clip in. I just slung the camera across my shoulder and went instead. Of course, I swore a bit and let everyone know how stupid I was to forget such an important item.