Range Creek II

Udink

Still right here.
Last weekend I ranged into Range Creek for a second time, the first being nearly four years ago on the day after Thanksgiving. That late November day was cold and snowy, but right now it's still relatively warm at 6,800' elevation. The forecast temperatures were in the low-80s, so I drove in on Saturday evening and spent the night, hoping to get an early start on Sunday morning. I'd read about a petroglyph in Little Horse Canyon that I hadn't seen before, so on my way into Range Creek I drove slowly looking for it. It turned out to be very close to the confluence with Range Creek. Nearby I found what appeared to be a metate in a boulder. I slept in the Jeep that night, hearing a lot of unexplainable noises. Many times I heard what sounded like the antenna "boinging," and other times I thought I heard a distant car door closing. I slept fitfully all night, waking by 6:30AM.

New sign in Horse Canyon. How does one leave a dead-end road with no turn around areas?
7Pyo4oHXAIWAdOTJvVT6rsaoxivF510rT5t1ov90i6bU_NGkCpKYqlf6IrOQHYJzem1XzqFXG6TYCsUPCg=s800

I think I'll go left this time
STZctEF_sf5TS8YkarYnR1f32KH15izyFifFnB6j9rB1msksAQahpcwjjF2HaN3ASc4jS7kC4unCJwfFiA=s800

Climbing above the South Fork of Horse Canyon
4ETdx4nQfArE4zGOMxBF-SEmqURMtCDrzoeFAudZ1LvZhdTlEBqC2GOoFhIrAEdheZl5ziyHQrqw0wL-Cw=s800

At the pass, heading down into Range Creek
yJ2_CdlvznYrbzPbVJAQuBWbuwLCaeMNznQp9xdzlzlj9dn1RpqaPZax11czu_XtGKlPRCC-WG6uO9hz1g=s800

Tripod Man (or Woman?)
nsute_ov8TUUDDx_iXD7QysAP8nH7mh3m0ypFK23mYa4jhDPWatSlS5mje-8aRJHVjceEnMY_S1jB4FoRw=s800

Possible metate in a boulder
T9lK1dhP03U77CC6BQfPhPYr9Ofw8wbO1jN440BizX3NBZb5_ZIClJ7ohLnxHGXnu6TaoXiv51WCJL7v7Q=s800

Split-twig figurine
GQ7ULDtC4CTbvDH8C6C_ny5cSiE9zPllI7pd9ywWZKuvkkz_AZWrhy-_Ut33390_lLoNcLYRfeotckxMtQ=s800

Evening shadows ascending the canyon walls
bp8s6s9D-MIcdf611uTYrVjhlnGuuQO3Nsrm5gUpXbi13D9eL6OfyAozKLoi6PUFO6JyyZ_yW5oMNHrf2w=s800

Sleeping accommodations
OnoFh3EYsFNqT-5KHLUqaDrjdwEck6K7SoCHWFKTXaHZ6oYWjJAta_Ly6KanlLk8ZjXQ5Cl1ScOlORYI_Q=s800

Shortly after 7:00AM I entered the Range Creek property and began walking along the road. I first hiked north, reaching the TN Ranch property boundary and, finding nothing of interest in that direction, turned to the south. I passed up a number of sites that I'd seen on my prior trip. An alcove that I hadn't noticed before, even though it's visible from the road, called to me and held a couple of surprises. Under an overhang were some faint red fingerprint pictographs in rows and a partial circle. Near the rock art, at the base of the cliff, there was what appeared to be an upside-down metate. The edges were worked and it was just the right size and shape. I overturned the rock and saw that it was almost completely flat on the other side, with no tell-tale trough indicating that it had ever been used to grind seeds or grain. Perhaps there was pecking or other marks indicating use underneath the layer of dirt adhering to the rock, but I didn't want to disturb it further so I turned it back over and left it alone.

Entrance
T_VCRZXFjP13NozduMWtHOyHyzFwngr3d19FZ915Tqmkyt-4k7J-VYLGCXwbG3l5zxyzkDcsPXt-4a106w=s800

Sunflowers lining the road
768G5KAKQ0tuBaebEnqrAH62PUb5vHTvmh3PUIErgtdLILBZW1HItyc-MhZRAB3mUqurAfkM-foAhUDpRA=s800

TN Ranching sign
uIXvbjRQfPxH9u0GlqmsCDQs-2Aal-CJXVCW-4ZEhx9B3ziNVwYUxg-KV_9esiSreH4BGJilXgxVxldCMQ=s800

Range Creek north gate
JmdN37YLQ2Zeuyws1v3s_Mzmg6aVnaA1yutMZnEGUl46xdkXCHLNstiVt3N1HBpA-wv-JurW1X3oPpnm6A=s800

Just walkin' down the road as the sun rises
JcEOXsNKHeV_a6_5XQppebqbxm8B-znWKIxiaVqakAArLq5Q_hBuEpRqCfa9RHlVI71GcTZBr4x8Eqnzkw=s800

Locomotive Rock
ellVU9UTu2oGoY4vYapcHO_JO4GFcMjlpWh4uc63fAf7lvYSETXSExifZ-oqBDWtrKjlzUU-BOAPEkWT7g=s800

Rows of dots
NJKWdZfgzgLKmIRX2BQZaNnfnY5pDlPLpEFFKt8u4czk4qQMlwklUha1RDHHjDn8bGCMQFRN5ypehN_W7A=s800

Looks like an overturned metate?
58m3gNW60ZvAkFX3dq_1T-UlLLx_m-hifRU29yYIedtxBF9fNOJWiML5ZdHaokQEKK1fflcO0XdX-mnXaQ=s800

Hmm...maybe an unused metate?
JP6Y-fejg3hwyaq9CYUFKaMJf83yVcMdQ04QhorF4Z4qjJjwCLBEKTtTeYuVLraAXxx5NjGGmKB5Uu6ikg=s800

I continued my walk down the road for another 30 minutes, stopping only once at a petroglyph site that I'd been to before. Someone had scratched an arrow into the dirt road pointing toward the site. Shortly before 9:00AM I reached my first objective. While casually poking around the area in Google Earth days earlier, I spotted a small circle atop a boulder that I was almost certain was man-made. I climbed up past some pictographs that I'd visited before. Sunlight was trickling through some trees and made photographing them difficult. I climbed higher until I reached the boulder and my hopes were deflated. There was nothing even close to resembling a man-made structure on top. Since I'd already ascended a couple hundred feet, I decided to go yet farther up. I found a small petroglyph panel that I've never even seen a photograph of. While finding a structure didn't pan out, at least I found something on that ridge.

Sheep petroglyphs with a canine in the upper-left
aaIi-ehL_kD7ep3t8auwgRqs2P8-qOPeuEEndrqFb2zJFLwj1gC4yLGpmdisrRj8aBLfdul749oe3W_vdA=s800

Arrow in the road pointing to a rock art site
UcYR5qdMI51wO-7e4jgLJ1ElyAdbFWo_zKTpLfVsznVxWq-PwHB1W4AzdSQI5ZPU_IlpWurpUOQYHV3iNg=s800

Satellite imagery showing a possible stone circle atop a boulder
6F-mk8sfPIG8jjW9GqgEUiPfgtlmSAG0FizH3s4leEc9qpMelD18fP5BVoO1DJ5n9nI9D_getUx9mrR8kQ=s800

Rocky climb to some pictographs
VAz76-7CeFQ2_bGUCim6M22acJqL5hakMKkU4dZ3ovyrzqbpbD3K_FPDKywoptSOKMK-o7tf4XztZKyQ5Q=s800

Fremont pictographs, shaded by my hat
sLkhrkS3j4xWiHeNaJauR8Yzk7ppAgw2myKctKq23ymOx5UPYDzfWj5WTwRGtHWprrcD3nclCfpET2x5Sg=s800

Range Creek Canyon
VV5A4EDDL9WsbvFjccUJjihAARVq8hid9odW7vK2S3t3ogeSt28YULNSoCwLlyPaHlMJ04BynDx96zh5yg=s800

Boulder on a pedestal, but no circle of rocks
sEdlEciWcUV68oUU3EIuOptEPJH91Sr4NnxIdcFCe9xbRGRPqR9YnOY70Ay1LyyFF_RpApV6K43j8ELZiQ=s800

Petroglyphs high above the canyon floor
V9xz7BTT1u_nPWbBbn882AYG8zQoTfw9RQOrMip0lN9bxuzLfELWdRBvkc4XZ9r0WSw6roWe6-ZiXAMUXA=s800

After some more road-walking I once again scrambled and climbed my way above the canyon floor to visit some remarkable pictographs. I had only seen them from below at a distance during my last trip to Range Creek. This time I was determined to get an up-close look. I climbed through some unstable rockfall, then wound my way back and forth while continuing to ascend over ledges and giant boulders. On one sloping ledge there were even some weathered moqui steps to make the climb easier. I reached the level of the rock art and then traversed a narrow ledge until reaching the "TV pictograph." A little farther beyond that and I was standing in an alcove with a number of exceptional Fremont pictographs in white, yellow, black, and shades of red.

TV pictograph
sh9XYEyqy-HkQRgKIn7E1OvFvee597feAXhAny27g4iyBowo_67tRgWGvB1qxgGtRpaOxSwjoe6cwlHDhQ=s800

A remarkable, large pictograph panel
xaF0rjw5gYGxvaeQVqG-xlsq3EXGGOxoWjvhIcD_e6OrgHxN0AX3VsuRIG4-JS_VO5AaUY4JiBsBMIeTBw=s800

Four-toed bear pictograph in black
J420dUCas4-E51dvtO2C1c9gtv6mkZrsZY_HYUThCbXwINL1D4Wb7P4JKFjfbWH8LCMu7knfrUH_wvHuxg=s800

My favorite part of the panel
U6BWzgCsjhWWfAPW_dNXpjxMNXCX72blnfyCFuvnNnCut-5u-U5z3yw5gsz-Hk1aMPO6cdH3DOUxdLbZ_w=s800

Four Fremont figures
jLABEgQWGV4sEZ1XXD0n0zgX6L5TYaxnxqWGRO7gJnYwqnxFqF2ePWonPwRUGw0Qa0I1vcBBubv6aVTCQQ=s800

Cool little horned figure
LPyFr4XkJPZwmF8AlUhZZ21cdF3LtZEAhWQHEYr7Tmwrq1rHjv4Ex_ypVJ08deVa2bXZI411E_SvXiO_JQ=s800

Central figure, with cowboy hat and elk antlers
cXZ2ezn_h4oZwnRAOyBAI3y4ZfmhRZyG74qZuklZb-aPTYVhxEYtczv-uCOa4Bj1KIgAZxrQnRhgsQvnog=s800

Fremont figure with fine antennae and fingers
K-Jyi6uaUjxBFfVSva0Zx5q3_TSxy2BRLZoZXjCfqIpJSrqwdhQ1jC5pfgVhI-AUYjlfaGLlfbKj1eWoLQ=s800

Geometric designs
M44YLsyMO74XIOeIYr9LBl0g-d-huWYpxMSAqfrbx6O4SmnRdVZ2WNecRjbl6moS8fviScBg6tt0iHD32w=s800

Petroglyphs and deeply-pecked holes
pjrzbqyNrIXNs6_MOwaxdM6MDENYpL2bPVnfkUJVnGBsoQoebJv3tBaBNMuPdYUKO0hb0er9m78nofzEpw=s800

I rested and took advantage of the coolness inside the alcove. My plan had included climbing up to Locomotive Rock next, but I decided there in that alcove that I'd done enough for the day. I loaded up on fluids now that my frozen Powerade was thawed enough to drink, and then began walking up the canyon along the road. It was hot out, but I was feeling good and I walked briskly and cheerfully back toward the Range Creek gate. I'd seen nobody else in the canyon all morning except for two airplanes that flew low overhead, circling Locomotive Rock a couple of times before continuing on. I'd been keeping an eye open for bear or cougar tracks along the road, but saw none. I did, however, see many places where snakes had crossed it.

Rockfall and ledges along the route down from the alcove
pHpffccSdbIiljRT_-xkQiqlPaV4uA00hVFZ9PuQEJ9iqU5VzcopwKwtfsr6mv-tZyKrOtISV0RY1EyMQw=s800

Airplane over Locomotive Rock
wzPCyJqicaMBEkk4ebg20-8mN_miUTrt4PWO1At2r4LLSZUSUgodaelmbGdulFiNFq7ORO8wxF0pBDXa6w=s800

Snake crossing
omW-lVvOIGoeOkZM4nrYx7_9XT4tJX39q-u7KYxnZ3TgcMfDJSEkPmAQswD0E98d_o5Iy9ZQkI8PwehnMA=s800

At the pass, heading home
MAFM90jFgTCB5QxaPC1vj4rg4Ay8e-meCmVVwOqAOn_T5_H1U7k9CQixj7MyJK6gCTwcqQc9TW6lHfzyUA=s800

I made it back to the Jeep at noon and, upon getting there, grabbed a drink and a snack for the drive home. I heard another phantom car door close, but then I realized it was real when I saw a person approaching me from the gate. It was Mike, the ranger/security guy who oversees visitors to the canyon. We chatted for about 15 minutes about what I'd been up to that morning. I told him about the small petroglyph panel I'd found and he was going to check with Corinne, the field station manager, to see if she already knew of it. He said there were only two other people who had permits to be in the canyon that day but they never showed. I really did have the canyon to myself all morning, and for the short five hours that I spent inside the gate, I'd seen plenty to keep me satisfied...until my next trip.

Photo Gallery: Range Creek II

Super photos of a beautiful place! Love the bear paw. I've had my antenna ping like that many times from bats thinking it's an insect and running into it. My one journey into the canyon it was raining on the way out and I thought I was going to slide right off Horse Cyn Rd.

Super photos of a beautiful place! Love the bear paw. I've had my antenna ping like that many times from bats thinking it's an insect and running into it. My one journey into the canyon it was raining on the way out and I thought I was going to slide right off Horse Cyn Rd.
My mind kept imagining grasshoppers climbing the antenna and then jumping off. I actually saw some bats before full dark, though, so that would make much more sense.

That's a bad road to drive during inclement weather (see my previous trip report about Mike nearly losing his truck over the edge in the snow!).

That's a great trip report, too (your first one). Gorgeous photos. I can't imagine driving that road when it's snowy, and I grew up in the snowy Colorado mtns. I didn't care for it when it was dry, and when it was muddy, I swore I found religion real fast (but lost it after I got back to the main highway). The fog photos were simply surreal. It's beautiful country.

That was very interesting - thanks so much for sharing! Beautiful photos and very cool pictographs. It's really great that Mike gave you all a ride the first time and very lucky that he didn't slide completely off the hill many years ago in the snow, ouch.
It looks like permits run from mid-May through November, if we go it would be end of October or in November. Do you carry bear spray when you hike in? What about food in the car - do you remove all food and hang it ?

Do you carry bear spray when you hike in? What about food in the car - do you remove all food and hang it ?
I don't think bears are much of a problem in Range Creek, especially the upper end where most hikers go. I've heard of them hanging near at the Wilcox Ranch, but that's farther than one can hike with just a day permit. I do carry bear spray of sorts, but I just left my food in the car.