Rain Gear

If I am backpacking I use a standard issue, tape seamed, waterproof/breathable jacket and pants. I do this all seasons with the occasional exception of well predicted or known dry conditions. In that case I use a poncho. I also use a poncho when day hiking. My Poncho is a silnylon Sea to Summit which is large enough to use as a shelter in a pinch. I have the grommets looped for staking out. I use tall gaiters also when I will be hiking in high precipitation conditions. The jacket and pants are whatever is on sale and will hold up. Rain pants wear out fast for me.

I like your idea of using the poncho as an emergency shelter. Is it big enough to go over you and your pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like your idea of using the poncho as an emergency shelter. Is it big enough to go over you and your pack?

I have the sea to summit poncho tarp too. Its big enough to cover a 50 liter pack maybe more. I'm too tall at 6'2" to really get a shelter out of it.

I have never used it over pack but I think it will fit. You will get wetter for sure if you do it that way. I just carry a pack cover.

I'll admit to using the cheap Frogg Toggs pro-lite rain suit more often than not. If there's potential for frequent rain, I'll throw in the prolite pants and use a better rain jacket (using an REI brand jacket now, can't remember which one). Rain pants are kind of disposable to me--no matter what, they always seem to end up torn or leaking.

I'll admit to using the cheap Frogg Toggs pro-lite rain suit more often than not. If there's potential for frequent rain, I'll throw in the prolite pants and use a better rain jacket (using an REI brand jacket now, can't remember which one). Rain pants are kind of disposable to me--no matter what, they always seem to end up torn or leaking.

My next pair will be Frog Toggs. Fancy and expensive rain pants wear out really fast for me.

I hear really good things about eVent but no direct experience.
I know this was months ago, but ... I had an eVent jacket (Westcomb something or other) a few years back. Nice, light, best DWR treatment I've ever seen. But back then, at least, eVent wouldn't let manufacturers put pit zips on their eVent jackets. It probably did breathe better than my gore tex -- I noted on a few hikes and bike rides, my back pack was wet from sweat where it was up against my back, which I haven't noticed with any of my gore tex jackets. But without vents, it wasn't good enough (I'm a sweater). I do wear my light rain shells as windbreakers as much or more than I do in the rain, after all (I live in Utah, so a lot more wind than rain!). So I REI'ed it. Also, eVent seems to clog up really quickly -- you have to wash it every few uses or it will stop breathing. My mom has a Rhyolite jacket, and she really likes it.

For me, my rain setup depends on what I expect. I hike in Utah a lot, and also in the PNW. I carry an 8 oz Pac lite jacket (Black Diamond Mono Point) in my day pack all the time in Utah. Only a couple small storms so far -- usually, it just gets windbreaker duty. If I expect rain or heavy winds, my Alpha SL is my go-to jacket. For really bad weather, I have packed my 3l goretex pro alpine shell a few times. For pants, I use cheap Torrentshell pants that keep the water out, and that I don't mind shredding off trail or on the mountain bike (I have replaced them a couple times over the years at the Pata outlet in SLC for not much $$). If I'm in the PNW and real rain and cold temps are in the forecast, I will often pack my 3l goretex alpine shell pants. OR Seattle Sombrero on my head if extended rain is in the forecast. Much more comfortable than a hood!

Last edited: