Rain Gear

I was just rethinking my rain gear I pack on backpacking trips today!
I currently use a rain jacket made by White Sierra like this one: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/798831/white-sierra-trabagon-rain-jacket-mens
Mine weighs 11.4 oz. and I got it for about $17 on sale at Cabelas I think.
It has some vents on the back, but I still get pretty sweaty when I wear it. Thus why I'm rethinking it.

Patagonia has a rain jacket called the Houdini that is super light (3.3 oz) but it's just water resistant and doesn't have taped seams. And it retails for $99.

I use a The North Face Dryzzle rain jacket and it was the best investment ever done.
Weight is a tad more than 11 oz, it's super comfy and packs super small.
I took it to its limits in Hawai'i when I was on a boat in torrential rain plus 15+ ft. waves, where the water just came down on me in buckets. I was completely dry. The jacket even survived explosions of lava glass particles raining constantly on me last month.
The price is steep but absolutely worth the investment.

bc3af13d0b53134865b0f0fa1b7d7dfe.jpg

Just picked up this Marmot PreCip jacket on clearance at camp saver.com. Got it for right around $50.00. Pretty good reviews everywhere. Haven't tried it out yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For years now I've used the Snugpak Patrol Poncho. It is like a big mumu with sleeves and taped seems. It does not flap up in the wind and covers both me and my pack. Out here much of the time it is either bone dry or a deluge from a thunderstorm, not always but that is how is seems to go with us. It works good for hiking and I tend to sweat less in this than any of my rain jackets, one of gortex and the other and best is Event. This poncho give me more coverage too.

Patagonia has a rain jacket called the Houdini that is super light (3.3 oz) but it's just water resistant and doesn't have taped seams. And it retails for $99.
I have a Houdini and I love it. In a light drizzle, wind, or even cooler temps it's awesome. I also use it when I go running in the cold and/or rain. Still gets sweat all over the inside when I run, but much more breathable than a rain jacket.

With waterproof and breathable, you always have to trade some of one for some of the other. I have a $50 Columbia rain jacket I like, but it wets out after a while in sustained precipitation. I fairly recently got an Arc'teryx Alpha SL and it has yet to let a drop through. It's supposed to be more breathable than the heavier shells they make, but it still builds up some condensation when it's zipped up. I guess you just have to decide whether waterproof or breathable means more to you. I like @Wyatt Carson's poncho method too.

Depends on what i expect.
On 3-season trips that I expect little to no rain I'll bring a Golite Tumalo. If I expect it to rain a lot and intend on hiking through it, I'll bring my 3L hardsell (Alpha FL) w/ REI eVent rain pants. I trust my Tumalo but weary of using it for 3+ days in the rain in xc conditions.

On 4-season trips, I always bring my 3l hard shell and rain pants.

I used to carry a Marmot PreCip jacket...until I got caught in some heavy rain last year and found out it really wasn't up to that task. Now I carry an REI Rhyolite jacket (and pants when I think they are necessary) and have been very happy with the eVent's performance. It keeps me dry and breathes very well, too.

It also makes for a great breathable windbreaker that has come in handy on a few early morning mountain ascents when my down jacket would have been too warm.

I really like the raised pockets that can easily be used even when wearing a backpack.

https://www.rei.com/product/893177/rei-co-op-rhyolite-rain-jacket-mens

Shoutout for Frogg Toggs. Durability is nill, but the price, weight, and breathability are all excellent. I just get a new pair at the beginning of each summer. Oh and cut the otherwise-useless pants into a rain skirt instead.

I have had no issues with my Marmot Precip. The jacket is less expensive than many of the alternatives. After a few years of use with any rain jacket, you need to refresh the outside repellant coating.

I have had no issues with my Marmot Precip. The jacket is less expensive than many of the alternatives. After a few years of use with any rain jacket, you need to refresh the outside repellant coating.

The fact that it doesn't breathe was a bigger issue.

Shoutout for Frogg Toggs. Durability is nill, but the price, weight, and breathability are all excellent. I just get a new pair at the beginning of each summer. Oh and cut the otherwise-useless pants into a rain skirt instead.

The problem I have with that philosophy is that in some situations, it can get you very dead. If I can't be 100% certain a product like this will perform each and every time I need it, I don't want it in the pack. Period!

I have had the Marmot Precip, which I loved. It endured all kinds of rain and kept me dry. I sure was sad to see it float away after falling from the raft. It did have breathability issues.

I have a Sierra Designs Hurricane which was inexpensive but has limits on how much rain it keeps out.

I also have the Marmot Bootpacker which is super water resistant. I used it in Yellowstone last fall and it endured 2 days of intermittent intense rains/hail, some long bouts of moderate rain, and 1 long day of wet snow without leaking at all. It is designed for boot packing so no pit zips but other than that, it is awesome. If it becomes my go to summer jacket, I'll have pit zips added.

Last summer I bought the Marmot Minimalist on sale, which I really like. It is light and so far has been perfectly water resistant but it has not been thoroughly challenged yet.

I also have the REI Rhyolite pants which are light and also amazingly water resistant but the cuffs were nearly shredded last fall in Yellowstone after being off-trail for 2 1/2 days. They sure kept the rain and snow out, even after hours of hiking through rain/snow soaked brush.

If you are unsure of your specific needs and you are only using it once or twice a year I would suggest the Marmot Precip. jacket and pants or the basic REI versions. If you find a good deal on a Gore Tex Paclite or ProShell great but otherwise I wouldn't worry about spending several hundred on rain gear.

The fact that it doesn't breathe was a bigger issue.
They breath fairly well. The pit zips help vent some moisture. I have the pants and love them after spending many days on the trail in the rain. A friend has the jacket and likes it. But...other more expensive jackets may let out more moisture.

They breath fairly well. The pit zips help vent some moisture. I have the pants and love them after spending many days on the trail in the rain. A friend has the jacket and likes it. But...other more expensive jackets may let out more moisture.

If you catch them on sale, the REI Rhyolite (eVent) series is a lot better for not much more money. That's my experience, anyway.

If you catch them on sale, the REI Rhyolite (eVent) series is a lot better for not much more money. That's my experience, anyway.
I hear really good things about eVent but no direct experience.

Really depends on when, where and how long.

I'm in Colorado and my trips are between 7k and 11k ft. Even summer can be cold. For higher elevations I want my three layer hard shell. When worn over my insulation it retains more heat than a marmot precip (2.5 layer).

If was thru hiking the a.t. starting in Georgia I would want something lighter and more breathable because it would be hot and muggy along with rain.

I have a poncho tarp, two jackets and two pants. Poncho for short, should be dry trips. The other sets are for if I want light weight or bombproof.

Full leg zips on the pants are worth it. Ankle zips don't really help. Pit zips on the jacket is another feature I look for.

I didn't pay full price for any of mine, neither should you.

Marmot precip is a great middle of the road option.

If I am backpacking I use a standard issue, tape seamed, waterproof/breathable jacket and pants. I do this all seasons with the occasional exception of well predicted or known dry conditions. In that case I use a poncho. I also use a poncho when day hiking. My Poncho is a silnylon Sea to Summit which is large enough to use as a shelter in a pinch. I have the grommets looped for staking out. I use tall gaiters also when I will be hiking in high precipitation conditions. The jacket and pants are whatever is on sale and will hold up. Rain pants wear out fast for me.