R.I.P. FiveTen Canyoneer 1

Michael

Alien from over the pond...
After seven years and approx. 150 miles my 5.10 Canyoneer 1 died during my last trip in Utah. The outsoles was loose at many places. And a lot of the profile was gone.

I’ve ordered a new pair of 5.10 Canyoneer 3. These shoes do not really satisfy me.
They have a lower and wider shaft than the canyoneer 1 have. That means no ankle support and no protection of sand or sediment what my old ones have. The rubber welded on the yellow mesh is very thin. Made in China and not in USA like my the first ones was.

I’ve my eye on Adidas Terrex Hydro Lace 2019. Who has experience with these shoes or elder models?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you Brendan,
That's really nice shoe and a great brand. Unfortunately I don't like low ankle shoes. They collect too much sand and other nice things. My wife wears low ankle shoes...
An other option for me are Bestard Wildwasser Pro available in Europe mid of April.

Thank you Brendan,
That's really nice shoe and a great brand. Unfortunately I don't like low ankle shoes. They collect too much sand and other nice things. My wife wears low ankle shoes...
An other option for me are Bestard Wildwasser Pro available in Europe mid of April.
Have you tried a lightweight gaiter? The tx4 (which has a leather upper) and a pair of trail running gaiters should be quite debris-proof. There’s also a tx4 mid shoe with higher ankle but it has goretex liner.

Looks like that adidas shoe has a neoprene liner. Seems like that would pretty severely limit its versatility.

Last edited:
I never have tried gaiters. It's maybe an option.

I seem really prone to getting junk in my shoes and I love hiking in low trail runners and light breathable gaiters. I’m in the mountains not the desert, so a bit different, but works well for me.

I don't want to open a new thread as my question goes in a similar direction regarding shoes for wet hikes.

I still have my pair of 5.10 Canyoneer Boots and they are still good.
But a high ankle sprain from December that still hasn't healed obviously changed my foot. I hiked the Subway in my 5.10s last Sunday and ended up getting a severe case of Achilles Tendonitis. I definitely can't wear the 5.10 boots on my next few wet canyon hikes this weekend.
Now I have to figure out an alternative to shoes/canyoneering shoes that would work.

So if I get the La Sportiva shoes, what do you all do when water temperatures are cool in the winter and you need to wear neo socks? How do you do that? Buy a larger size from the beginning and wear neo socks in these shoes?

Anyone else has Achilles Tendon problems? And which shoes work the best for you?
Since I have no pain feeling in my legs anyway, I will continue to hike, just shorter distances for a bit. Because of the extreme heat down here, I'll do water hikes.
And that's why I need to find a nice pair of shoes that work for wet hikes/canyons

Anyone else has Achilles Tendon problems? And which shoes work the best for you?
Since I have no pain feeling in my legs anyway, I will continue to hike, just shorter distances for a bit. Because of the extreme heat down here, I'll do water hikes.
And that's why I need to find a nice pair of shoes that work for wet hikes/canyons

Curious was your ankle wrapped, resulting in a tighter fit? I can't wear any shoes (climbing, water, street) that are a tight fit over my achilles tendon. I tend to buy my approach/running shoes up to a full size bigger to accommodate my feet swelling on long hikes, and they have yet to aggravate my achilles.

Curious was your ankle wrapped, resulting in a tighter fit? I can't wear any shoes (climbing, water, street) that are a tight fit over my achilles tendon. I tend to buy my approach/running shoes up to a full size bigger to accommodate my feet swelling on long hikes, and they have yet to aggravate my achilles.

no, nothing wrapped, I just went in neo socks and my 5.10 Canyoneers that are actually a size larger than I usually wear. last year I got massive issues on the same foot in trail running shoes because of overuse. All of a sudden the lava tours went from 6 miles per trip to 13 miles per trip across rugged lava, and I often went twice a day. I ignored it and at one point it went pretty bad.

This time I have no clue what triggered it. I usually day hike between 10-12 miles on average, often more. And I usually wear trail running shoes. Ankle boots were actually the reason I rolled my ankle and got a high ankle sprain that hasn't healed after 6.5 months.
So both my feet are pretty much fucked up right now.

I decided to give the La Sportiva a try. I go on another fun trip to the Subway on Monday, so hopefully, until then all is back to normal.

I've got 2 pr of the la sportiva (one approach and one trail) and love them both. As you probably know, they run small to begin with (damn europeans) so to account for swell, etc. you may need to go 1-2 sizes up

I've got 2 pr of the la sportiva (one approach and one trail) and love them both. As you probably know, they run small to begin with (damn europeans) so to account for swell, etc. you may need to go 1-2 sizes up

I have European feet, so I guess I'm good, lol.
I got a pair of the approach and they had them in +sizes. So a bit bigger than normal sizes.
I will test them out the next few days on a few shorter hikes.
I keep it a bit on the lower side I guess to prevent additional damage.

Still weird that all of a sudden I can't hike in my canyoneering boots anymore.

thanks
I already do it for quite a while as my calves are too tight and too big. Too much hiking, I guess.

@Yvonne - We are a big fan of “Superfeet” insoles, they provide much more support in trail runners, hiking boots etc. during intense hiking or running.

@Yvonne, bad news. It sounds that your foot need a break.
Bauerfeind has various bandages for foot therapy. They are really good. Go to an orthopedic technician of your choice and let make a foot pressure measurement. Good orthopedic insoles can be a relive.

Back to the shoes.
Since April I own my new shoes. Bestard Wildwater Pro. They have a good angle support and a great lace system. Unfortunately I can't give you a full review of this shoe 'cause my season starts in mid September this year.

All the best.

@Yvonne, bad news. It sounds that your foot need a break.
Bauerfeind has various bandages for foot therapy. They are really good. Go to an orthopedic technician of your choice and let make a foot pressure measurement. Good orthopedic insoles can be a relive.

Back to the shoes.
Since April I own my new shoes. Bestard Wildwater Pro. They have a good angle support and a great lace system. Unfortunately I can't give you a full review of this shoe 'cause my season starts in mid September this year.

All the best.

funny, I just bought a Bauerfeind ankle brace for my sprained left ankle. I hope with that one I can hike s much as I used to before.
Now I need to figure out if they have something for Achilles tendon issues so I can use it on the other ankle.
I used to have Bauerfeind knee braces after my surgeries way back in Germany and they were amazing. That's why I used these ridiculous expensive braces as a last resort.

Anyway, when you've tested your boots, post your verdict and review here. I'm curious. I probably won't buy a boot again but I just wanna read what you have to say.
A boot was the reason I got the high ankle sprain in the first place.

funny, I just bought a Bauerfeind ankle brace for my sprained left ankle. I hope with that one I can hike s much as I used to before.
Now I need to figure out if they have something for Achilles tendon issues so I can use it on the other ankle.
I used to have Bauerfeind knee braces after my surgeries way back in Germany and they were amazing. That's why I used these ridiculous expensive braces as a last resort.

Anyway, when you've tested your boots, post your verdict and review here. I'm curious. I probably won't buy a boot again but I just wanna read what you have to say.
A boot was the reason I got the high ankle sprain in the first place.
Sometimes, your feet/ankles just needs a break regardless of new shoes or not.

Sometimes, your feet/ankles just needs a break regardless of new shoes or not.

maybe this weekend, we'll see.

Despite my Achilles issues I did the Subway again today and was pretty impressed with the La Sportiva Approach shoes.
Very comfy, wide in the toe box, no rubbing on my Achilles.
I had a pair of thin neo socks. Since I usually hike in trailrunners I felt comfortable in these shoes right from the beginning.
The sole is not as sticky as the 5.10 boots, but this was the only negative thing I found so far.
The shoe drains well and I was pleasantly surprised with the overall performance, no break in time needed.
I have another long water hike on Tuesday, so we'll see how it works.