R.I.P. FiveTen Canyoneer 1

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Michael

Alien from over the pond...
Trip Reports
Thread starter #1
After seven years and approx. 150 miles my 5.10 Canyoneer 1 died during my last trip in Utah. The outsoles was loose at many places. And a lot of the profile was gone.

I’ve ordered a new pair of 5.10 Canyoneer 3. These shoes do not really satisfy me.
They have a lower and wider shaft than the canyoneer 1 have. That means no ankle support and no protection of sand or sediment what my old ones have. The rubber welded on the yellow mesh is very thin. Made in China and not in USA like my the first ones was.

I’ve my eye on Adidas Terrex Hydro Lace 2019. Who has experience with these shoes or elder models?

Thanks in advance.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Michael

Trip Reports
Thread starter #3
Thank you Brendan,
That's really nice shoe and a great brand. Unfortunately I don't like low ankle shoes. They collect too much sand and other nice things. My wife wears low ankle shoes...
An other option for me are Bestard Wildwasser Pro available in Europe mid of April.

Trip Reports
Thank you Brendan,
That's really nice shoe and a great brand. Unfortunately I don't like low ankle shoes. They collect too much sand and other nice things. My wife wears low ankle shoes...
An other option for me are Bestard Wildwasser Pro available in Europe mid of April.
Have you tried a lightweight gaiter? The tx4 (which has a leather upper) and a pair of trail running gaiters should be quite debris-proof. There’s also a tx4 mid shoe with higher ankle but it has goretex liner.

Looks like that adidas shoe has a neoprene liner. Seems like that would pretty severely limit its versatility.

Last edited:

Michael

Trip Reports
Thread starter #5
I never have tried gaiters. It's maybe an option.

Dreamer

off grid
Trip Reports
I seem really prone to getting junk in my shoes and I love hiking in low trail runners and light breathable gaiters. I’m in the mountains not the desert, so a bit different, but works well for me.