Proud Papa

scatman

Sorry, but I'm going to be kind of long winded for a bit. I just can't help myself you see. :) I spent last weekend in Portland, Oregon to attend my daughter's graduation ceremony from Lewis and Clark College. Katie has been my sidekick on numerous backpacking trips, and my weekend hikes over the years, and has shown up in many trip reports on this site over that time. Here is a time sequence leading up to her big day last Saturday.

01.jpg Uintas at almost four

02.jpg Grizzly Lake Trip at five

05.jpg Ribbon Lake Trip at six - picture taken at Clear Lake
07.jpg

11.jpg Rescue Creek Trip at six, a couple months from seven
12.jpg

15.jpg Great Smoky Mountain action at seven

16.jpg Shoshone Lake Canoe Trip at eight
17.jpg
18.jpg
20.jpg

24.jpg Back to the Smokies at nine
26.jpg Mount Aire at nine
27.jpg More Uintas at nine

28.jpg Grandeur Peak at ten
29.jpg Chain of Lakes in Yellowstone at ten
30.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg

34.jpg The Avenues Twin Peaks at eleven
36.jpg First family member to the top of the beacon on Mount Wire
40.jpg Mount Van Cott
42.jpg Jack's Mountain
43.jpg Stirred up a rattlesnake on this one
45.jpg Checking out an AT Shelter in the Smokies
46.jpg
47.jpg Back to Grandeur
49.jpg She stirred up another rattler on this one
50.jpg Mount Holmes Trip in Yellowstone
51.jpg
54.jpg The old Cougar Creek Trail on the Mount Holmes Trip
55.jpg Trilobite Lake

58.jpg Bushwhacking across the Millcreek Ridge at twelve
59.jpg
60.jpg Rubik's Cube? :)
61.jpg Trying her luck on a climbing wall in Jackson, WY
62.jpg Seven Mile Hole in Yellowstone
63.jpg
64.jpg
65.jpg
67.jpg Sunset Peak

68.jpg First hike up Mount Olympus at thirteen
69.jpg Summit shot
70.jpg
71.jpg Bushwhacking up Thayne's Peak
72.jpg
74.jpg Heading back from Queen's Laundry in Yellowstone
75.jpg Enjoying time with her brother at the Bear Pit at Old Faithful

76.jpg Failed Avenues Twin Peaks attempt at fourteen
77.jpg
78.jpg Red Butte Ridge
79.jpg
80.jpg Black Mountain
81.jpg Frary Peak
82.jpg
83.jpg Second summit of Mount Olympus
84.jpg
85.jpg
86.jpg Back in the Smokies, checking out a wild boar trap
87.jpg Seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. :)
89.jpg Sentinel Creek in Yellowstone on our Lower Geyser Basin Trip
91.jpg Began keeping a journal while bakcpacking
92.jpg
93.jpg Nasty Bushwhack to Buffalo Meadows on the same trip
94.jpg At Buffalo Meadows

95.jpg More Uintas fun at fifteen
96.jpg Hmm ...........................
98.jpg
100.jpg Broads Fork Twin Peaks attempt
101.jpg
102.jpg
103.jpg First attempt at the north summit of Mount Olympus
104.jpg
106.jpg
110.jpg
111.jpg Enjoying the summit view
112.jpg Scrambling on our way back down
113.jpg Grandeur in the winter
114.jpg
115.jpg
117.jpg
120.jpg Olympus in the winter - first for her
121.jpg
122.jpg
123.jpg One of my favorite shots - bushwhacking out of Red Butte Canyon on our attempt to reach Lookout Peak
124.jpg Dragon's Tail route up Grandeur
129.jpg Scramble up Mount Raymond
130.jpg View from summit of Mount Raymond, looking towards Goblers Knob
132.jpg Posing with a bison on our DeLacy Lakes Trip in Yellowstone
133.jpg At DeLacy Lakes
134.jpg
135.jpg
136.jpg At Mallard Lake on the same trip
137.jpg
138.jpg Hmm...................

139.jpg Deseret Peak at sixteen
140.jpg
141.jpg
142.jpg Castle Rock attempt on Stansbury Island
143.jpg
144.jpg
145.jpg Black Mountain hike
146.jpg
147.jpg
150.jpg
157.jpg Another summit of Mount Olympus
159.jpg Broads Fork Twin Peaks attempt
160.jpg
161.jpg
162.jpg

163.jpg Winter Grandeur at seventeen
164.jpg Dale Peak hike
165.jpg Summit of Dale
166.jpg Sunset Peak hike
167.jpg Summit of Sunset
168.jpg Canoe trip around Yellowstone Lake
169.jpg
170.jpg
171.jpg
172.jpg
173.jpg
175.jpg
176.jpg
177.jpg
178.jpg
179.jpg
180.jpg
181.jpg
182.jpg
183.jpg Best seat in the house!
184.jpg
185.jpg
186.jpg The Mary Mountain Trail in Yellowstone
187.jpg
188.jpg
189.jpg

190.jpg Mount Raymond at eighteen
191.jpg
192.jpg
193.jpg
194.jpg Broads Fork Twin Peaks, the Robinson's Variation
195.jpg
196.jpg
197.jpg
199.jpg
200.jpg
201.jpg
202.jpg Mount Nebo hike
203.jpg
204.jpg

205.jpg COVID times as she turned nineteen on our Pebble Creek backpacking trip in Yellowstone
206.jpg
207.jpg
208.jpg On Wolverine Peak on Pebble Creek trip
209.jpg Crossing Pebble Creek
211.jpg View from Bliss Pass out over the Pebble Creek Drainage
211b.jpg Church Fork Peak
211c.jpg North Summit of Mount Olympus again
220.jpg Lone Peak hike
221.jpg
222.jpg
223.jpg

224.jpg Pfeifferhorn at twenty
225.jpg
226.jpg
227.jpg
228.jpg
230.jpg A nasty cold day on Avenue's Twin Peaks over X-mas break at twenty one
231.jpg
233.jpg Mount Van Cott over Christmas break
234.jpg Snuggling with Juniper

So there you have it. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I didn't shed a tear when she crossed that stage at her graduation ceremony after receiving he diploma.

235.jpg
236.jpg
237.jpg
238.jpg
239.jpg
240.jpg
241.jpg
242.jpg

Congratulations Katie! I hope you take your love of wilderness and nature into your adult life. I've enjoyed every minute of all our adventures, and good luck to you on all your future endeavors.

Attachments

• 60.jpg
    60.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 81.jpg
    81.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 98.jpg
    98.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 130.jpg
    130.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 144.jpg
    144.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 146.jpg
    146.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 147.jpg
    147.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 157.jpg
    157.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 191.jpg
    191.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1
  • 230.jpg
    230.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1
I'd be lying if I didn't say that I didn't shed a tear when she crossed that stage at her graduation ceremony
Tears are fine. What we really want to know is if you smiled. :scatman:

Congratulations Katie! Your outdoor accomplishments are impressive and I hope they continue well into the future.

You have every reason to be proud Hugh. I can definitely see where a little bit of Scat has rubbed off onto Katie and Hugh Jr. . . and in this case that is a good thing. :lol:

Makin me shed a tear or two….what a wonderful journey y‘all helped guide her down th trail of life thus far….She’s goin on ahead with th knowledge and experiences y’all have given along with her new tools she’s learned also….good job Dad…

This is so beautiful! I'm crying now, too. (I cry way too easily - just imagining someone crying brings on the tears.) I'm so happy for her and your family to share in this milestone together, after having shared so many special adventures throughout her childhood. Have you thought about making a book (Shutterfly or whatever) using these wonderful photos? I'm guessing she treasures these experiences almost as much as proud papa does!

Congratulations Proud Papa! (and mama!) Not only have you raised a strong, intelligent, young woman, but instilled in her a love and respect for the natural world - one of the greatest gifts given to me by my father.

And congratulations to Katie on an incredible accomplishment!

That is SO awesome! Congats to your daughter......

All those years and wonderful adventures are something you will all always remember.

My daughter and I started adventuring in the outdoors when she was 2 and 17 years later we are still exploring.

Lewis and Clark is a very prestigious school. Congrats and may her future be filled with many happy trails with no rattlers. You guys gave her the greatest gift that parents can give - the gift of good parents. (Your kids are both adorable.)

Tears are fine. What we really want to know is if you smiled. :scatman:

Congratulations Katie! Your outdoor accomplishments are impressive and I hope they continue well into the future.

You have every reason to be proud Hugh. I can definitely see where a little bit of Scat has rubbed off onto Katie and Hugh Jr. . . and in this case that is a good thing. :lol:

No smiling allowed! :)

I hope that they have very little of the Scat influence as that can lead to trouble. :scatman:

Makin me shed a tear or two….what a wonderful journey y‘all helped guide her down th trail of life thus far….She’s goin on ahead with th knowledge and experiences y’all have given along with her new tools she’s learned also….good job Dad…

Thanks for the kind words.

This is so beautiful! I'm crying now, too. (I cry way too easily - just imagining someone crying brings on the tears.) I'm so happy for her and your family to share in this milestone together, after having shared so many special adventures throughout her childhood. Have you thought about making a book (Shutterfly or whatever) using these wonderful photos? I'm guessing she treasures these experiences almost as much as proud papa does!

I hadn't thought of making a book of photos. I'll have to give that some consideration.

And I'm curious - did she major in something related to the outdoors?

She didn't, she majored in English with a minor in classical literature. She is an avid reader, and writer. The University of Washington in Seattle has accepted her into their graduate program in Library Science. She will be starting in the fall.

Congratulations Proud Papa! (and mama!) Not only have you raised a strong, intelligent, young woman, but instilled in her a love and respect for the natural world - one of the greatest gifts given to me by my father.

And congratulations to Katie on an incredible accomplishment!

Yep, mama is pretty proud too, and thanks for the kind words.

That is SO awesome! Congats to your daughter......

All those years and wonderful adventures are something you will all always remember.

My daughter and I started adventuring in the outdoors when she was 2 and 17 years later we are still exploring.

Thanks @canadug. It's great to hear that you are doing the same with your daughter.

Lewis and Clark is a very prestigious school. Congrats and may her future be filled with many happy trails with no rattlers. You guys gave her the greatest gift that parents can give - the gift of good parents. (Your kids are both adorable.)

Thanks Skipper.

Ha! All the credit goes to Sheila I'm afraid.

We don't have any problems with rattlers in the Scat household. :) Of course, that could change if someone gets bitten. :thinking:

Hugh II is living in Portland and working for BASF, and Katie wants to be a librarian, so it is off to graduate school for her. I guess they will both do okay, but I still worry about them heading out into the world today.

Very nice. You are quickly approaching the time when she will outhike you. Been there, done that!

I'm afraid that that milestone has already been reached. :) Unless of course, it is a really long hike, then my stamina wins out, or at least it used to.

Something for the whole family to be proud of!
I guess they will both do okay, but I still worry about them heading out into the world today.
I hate to break it to you, but you will likely always worry. Our daughters are 39 and 42, well established with families of their own, and we still worry at times. I guess that comes with being a parent!

Congrats to Katie!
And once in Washington I sense some more Cascadia adventures and the Olympics. That's great.

Back