Poll: BCP Dark & Light?

Would you like to have a light theme on BCP?

• The dark theme is all I'd ever want.

Votes: 30 83.3%
  • I'd love a light theme on BCP.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I'd like the option of both.

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

Nick

-
A BCP user inquired about having a light theme option to make reading text easier for him. It's doable, but is no small task, so I wanted to do a poll to see how many people would like the option.

There are only two negatives that immediately come to mind. The first is that it's a lot more work to create and maintain two themes but that's not the end of the world. The second is that users would be limited in the text colors they use in their posts. For example, I've seen some folks change the text color to pure white instead of the default light grey. The pure white wouldn't be allowed anymore because a designated color would show the same on either theme while the 'default color' would change based on the theme. So that white text on dark BCP would also be white on light BCP and result in blank looking pages.

Opinions/thoughts welcome.

The user inquiring about the light theme option has decided BCP is not his cup of tea and left. I removed the other thread discussing this topic with all the drama because it was pretty pointless. For those that missed the other thread, don't worry, it was just a bunch of drama. The member who chose to leave was relatively new with only a few posts.

Based on that thread and this poll, I think I won't bother with a light option for now, but if anyone feels strongly about it (and plays nice), let me know.

The user inquiring about the light theme option has decided BCP is not his cup of tea and left. I removed the other thread discussing this topic with all the drama because it was pretty pointless. For those that missed the other thread, don't worry, it was just a bunch of drama. The member who chose to leave was relatively new with only a few posts.

Based on that thread and this poll, I think I won't bother with a light option for now, but if anyone feels strongly about it (and plays nice), let me know.

I read that post and typed up something in response but then thought it wasn't worth the reply after seeing they were new and like 7 posts. Even my own websites are black cause I think it just looks better for pictures, and easier on the eyes too.

It's perfect like it is, thanks for all your hard work Nick!

Haha ......... can I have florescent pink? :roflmao:

Just kidding........... I like the darker look. :)

I see readability for some, but usability? Regardless, for you sir, I will make it happen (as an option).
Don't sweat it building in a user choice for me. Looks like I am in the minority. The black/dark background is trendy and makes an elegant background for photos. However for reading text, especially trip reports the contrast between the grey font and the darker grey background makes it hard to read. That is true not just for us old folks but also for many other people with disabilities, both visual and cognitive. This same issue also cramps usability because the visual elements that aid navigation are also often textual (i.e. menus) and thus hard to glance at and make decisions as web users prefer to do and also other elements like dividing lines, separators, etc. are hard to read quickly. Maybe not an issue for someone young with great vision but other users will have trouble. As a professional I have to take visual impairment like color blindness and even lack of vision into account.

BCP being a back country info site first and a photography showcase second (if that is indeed the emphasis which could be debated) makes information transfer the priority. If it was a photography site maybe the priorities would change.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that most or all older people have trouble with the dark background/light text. Some for sure, but most of the stuff I've read says it's more about people with astigmatism than those of certain ages. So I guess like you said, visual and cognitive disabilities. There are quite a few folks here on BCP that might be considered 'older people' that say they prefer dark, and obviously some that do not. And on the flip side, there are people who have trouble reading plain dark text on a bright white screen, myself included. Dark text on white paper is one thing, but staring into a bright white screen for hours hurts my eyes.

The person who started this discussion used Kindle as their gold standard of readability, but even that is apples and oranges with it's e-ink screen offering relief from the brightness of a standard computer screen. In my personal opinion, I find the darkness much easier on the eyes. Sometimes I even find myself highlighting text when I read standard black text/white background because it strains my eyes. Oh, and trying to edit code on a white background is nearly impossible for me so I edit all code on a dark grey background. It's so much easier on my eyes. But that's just me.

Ultimately, I do believe that light styling is the best practice for sites intended to reach the broadest possible audience (like gov sites, google, etc), but I don't think dark is necessarily wrong either and I do think it has helped to brand BCP. So many forums look the same, but the dark styling of BCP stands out, IMO.

I've googled it to death and ultimately it seems like it just depends on people's preference more than anything. So a light option is a good plan. I will give it the codename "Artemus". :) I have another couple of months of healing to do. Time to get coding!

I'm just curious about one thing though. To those that don't like the light grey text with the dark grey background. How is this pure white? It hurts my eyes, but I'm curious what it's like for you.

Hurts my eyes ..................... :cool: :cool: and I am older ....... :moses: Sorry Art ........... :(

Hurts my eyes ..................... :cool: :cool: and I am older ....... :moses: Sorry Art ........... :(
Bob, don't be sorry that you are older. It just happens. And I still like you and don't prejudice against you in any way. At least no age prejudice. :)

Reactions: Bob
I've always had trouble reading books. Something about the font or print size I thought. When e-books came out, I played around with changing the background colors just for fun and found that I could read /comprehend so much better with the white on black. I think it's my dyslexia thing. I don't know, but now I have no trouble with concentrating on what I'm reading (??)