Perseid's Meteor Shower this weekend

Nick

-
Alison just reminded me on Facebook that Perseid's Meteor shower is going to peak this coming Sunday night, August 12th. Where is everyone heading for it? It should be a really good year for it with the moon being down long before dark, not like last year when it was practically full.

I'll be rocking it at Deep Creek Lakes in the Winds with Ndheiner and AnnMarie. What's everyone else doing?

I'll be back up at my father in laws property Sourdough wilderness ranch. I saw this same event there a few years ago and it was awesome.

Sweet!!! Thanks for the heads up!!! I always forget it's this time of year! nick, nothing like watching it at 10k! You'll love it in the winds! Wish I would still be up there...

I'll have to come up with a spot to watch it!

Found this on it:
On August 11th-12th, 2012, the Perseid meteor shower will peak in intensity, several meteors will be visible streaking across the sky every minute. The exact peak will be around 2am early Sunday morning (Saturday night), on August 12th. The moon will be in its waning crescent phase during this time so the sky will be fairly dark and good for viewing.

I'm debating between Chain Lake and Brown Duck Lake. I'm leaning towards Brown Duck...but I'm looking forward to the meteors!

The last meteor shower was a dud despite us setting up a "Meteor Camp" to watch it out in the West Desert:

meteor.jpg

I don't think I'll lug the Dob up to Brown Duck, though.

Well, I'm looking at the weather between Cooke City, MT, and Page, AZ, and it looks like Saturday night is going to be cloudy everywhere in between.

That stinks.

I'll be at Ryder Lake in the Uintas. Keeping my fingers crossed for some clear skies.

Alison just reminded me on Facebook that Perseid's Meteor shower is going to peak this coming Sunday night, August 12th. Where is everyone heading for it? It should be a really good year for it with the moon being down long before dark, not like last year when it was practically full.

I'll be rocking it at Deep Creek Lakes in the Winds with Ndheiner and AnnMarie. What's everyone else doing?
Going outside this very minute to take another gander. Unfortunately, this will happen from my yard.

We sat outside of Lander, WY, and saw over 60 meteors in two hours...and I didn't catch even one on camera. I had at least eight fall directly in front of the camera within just a couple of seconds of the shutter closing...I was not happy.

I was out with my two boys on Sat. night and was able to capture a few, but didn't see many. We were camped about 20 miles from Heber Ciy but with the thin clouds and smoke in the air the light polution killed any good viewing.DSC_4737-1.jpg
You can see one small meteor in the photo (top right). I was surprised at how much of the light from Heber City shows up in the clouds.

Nice photo.

I looked both Fri. and Sat. nights from just outside Moab, didn't see one. Be camped at 10,000' in the La Sals for five nights starting later this week, the sky view from camp is in the wrong direction so I'll probably take at least one evening and move to a better view.

I caught a meter in a picture purely on accident this spring camped in Butler Wash just east of Comb Ridge. Was just taking a photo of camp, didn't notice until much later - when someone else pointed it out - that I had caught a meteor in it.

- DAA

You can see one small meteor in the photo (top right).

Pretty sure that's an iridium flare from a satellite ;)

Wow I suck! I set up my camera, framed up a nice comp with my light painted, and let it roll. Came back to check on it 1.5 hours later only to find that my once full battery died 2 shots in. :eek:

I did happen to catch a few earlier in the night.

Perseid Meteors and the Milky Way by Summit42, on Flickr

Iridium flares always taper on both ends.

Auto WB never works at night so I shoot in RAW with the WB in "daylight" to keep everything consistent before I fix it in post.

A lot of definite meteors also taper on both ends. I don't think that's necessarily a good indicator. Looks like a meteor to me...

meteor by ibenick, on Flickr