Shooting the Perseid Meteor Shower

Laura

freespirittraveler
Hey everyone,

My next photography trip is in August for the Perseid Meteor shower. I've got two questions: 1. Has anyone shot the Trona Pinnacles at night (near Death Valley)? I'm worried about light pollution from nearby towns (I checked the Dark Sky Finder and it doesn't look good), so if anyone has any firsthand experience let me know; and 2. I'm hoping to camp at Capitol Reef one night in August, but the campground is first come, first served, usually fills up by noon and I'll be driving from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. If I don't get a camp spot, does anyone have any suggestions for good camping in Capitol Reef, preferably a spot that I can shoot the meteor shower? I also got a wild hair to possibly camp at Goblin Valley that night, but I heard that's a party spot. Meteors over Goblin Valley could be pretty cool though, and it'll also happen to be the night where the moon is perfect for night shooting so I really want to find a great spot. Ideas/thoughts/suggestions?

I think you could find more non-campground campsites around Goblin Valley than you could around Capitol Reef, so you wouldn't have to deal with people at the campground. You could shoot at Goblin Valley itself and then drive back to a primitive campsite when you're done.

There's a few decent sites outside of Fruita but nothing spectacular. Aldaron is right about the Swell, lots of great primitive camping out there. I wouldn't really call the Goblin Valley campground a party spot but the advantage of staying there is that you can wander around the Goblins at night.

There's a few decent sites outside of Fruita but nothing spectacular. Aldaron is right about the Swell, lots of great primitive camping out there. I wouldn't really call the Goblin Valley campground a party spot but the advantage of staying there is that you can wander around the Goblins at night.

That's good to know it's not a party spot, and wandering around the goblins at night sounds awesome! I've always imagined a shot of the goblins with a meteor shooting overheard so maybe I'll give it a shot (so to speak) :cool:

Plus they have hot showers!!!

Was it a party spot in 127 Hours? :)

Maybe that's where I got the idea, in Aron Ralston's book. *Update* I just checked the website for Goblin Valley campsite and they have quiet hours from 10-7. Definitely not a party spot!

Plus they have hot showers!!!

Seriously, hot showers at Goblin Valley? I am so there!!!

a really cool spot for night shots is Natural Bridges NM. It's one of the dark sky places in the US and the sky is absolutely gorgeous.
Maybe something for you to consider.

I will head out to Toroweap for the meteor shower and hope for a few nice shots

a really cool spot for night shots is Natural Bridges NM. It's one of the dark sky places in the US and the sky is absolutely gorgeous.
Maybe something for you to consider.

I will head out to Toroweap for the meteor shower and hope for a few nice shots

Cool, I will keep that in mind. Capitol Reef also has one of the darkest skies in the US so that's why I picked it. I'm applying for my Goblin Valley permit next week for the meteor shower-really salivating at the thought of getting a shot of meteors over the goblins!

Sounds like you have your heart set on Goblin Valley (which is a fabulous spot). But, another great place to shoot in Capitol Reef would be the area around the Temple of the Sun and Moon. There is a park campground maybe 30 minutes away that shouldn't fill up (no hot showers, though! In fact, no water). The area is accessed by rough dirt roads, suitable for a high clearance vehicle. No 4WD necessary.

There is some really great primitive spots along the notom road outside of CR, or on the road that leads to the Henry mtns too.

I was thinking about trying to shoot the Perseids and started researching the web on how to do so, thinking about where, etc. I looked at some of the online, posted shots and was not overly impressed with most. I finally threw in the towel and decided that I would take Monday morning off, two of my kids and i will just head to a remote area Sunday night, maybe out on the lava field West of Idaho Falls, lay on some cots, look toward the sky, and enjoy the show with no worries. Lazy fits me better anyway. I'm glad someone is going to put in the effort to shoot them and I look forward to seeing your pics.

I was thinking about trying to shoot the Perseids and started researching the web on how to do so, thinking about where, etc. I looked at some of the online, posted shots and was not overly impressed with most. I finally threw in the towel and decided that I would take Monday morning off, two of my kids and i will just head to a remote area Sunday night, maybe out on the lava field West of Idaho Falls, lay on some cots, look toward the sky, and enjoy the show with no worries. Lazy fits me better anyway. I'm glad someone is going to put in the effort to shoot them and I look forward to seeing your pics.

Well, I'm here at Capitol Reef but it's cloudy and I'm not expecting much. They're supposed to peak the 11th and 12th so we'll see. On the brighter side, I got some awesome lightning shots I can't wait to share with you guys!

Hey Laura, how did this turn out? I tried to look for them(East coast) but too much city lights while looking. Then clouds rolled in. I did see some nice images from around the world, apparently they put on quite a show this year. Bummer to miss them.

Hey Laura, how did this turn out? I tried to look for them(East coast) but too much city lights while looking. Then clouds rolled in. I did see some nice images from around the world, apparently they put on quite a show this year. Bummer to miss them.

Apparently they showed up a night late. I got up at 3:45 a.m. the morning of August 12, drove down to my scouted area, got my camera set up and my spotlight died, which meant that all my photos were woefully underexposed due to no moon at that time. There was only about 1 meteor every 20 minutes, all but one out of my frame. I'll post a trip report in a few days. They were supposed to be better the next morning, but there was no way I was getting up at 3:45 a.m. again!

I was expecting 60-100/hr as reported but I only saw about 20 total in 2 1/2 hrs or so, always expecting it to really get going at any time once midnight hit but nope. Still nice to see but for us it was more of a meteor spritz than a shower.