Paris River Canyon - Buckskin Gulch March 2015

Devin Ashby

Don't Bust The Crust!
In March 2015 for one of my required classes at UVU for the Outdoor Recreation Management Major, we took a 6 day backpacking trip down the Paria River Canyon. I know a lot of people have done this route before and it's super popular, but the conditions of this trip are what made it so memorable and awesome.
A week before leaving on the trip, the water level at Lee's Ferry had spiked at 300 CFS, basically flash flood status, and held that level for about 4 days. Driving down to the trailhead, the water level had leveled out at about a consistent 80-90 CFS. This eventually made for some difficult and interesting hiking.

Because there was so much water, mid shin to mid thigh most of the hike, the mud was incredibly difficult to navigate and stay out of. On top of that, the water temperature was in the 30's. All that negative stuff aside, it was to this day one of the best backpacking trips i've been on.

Day 1 was probably the most difficult day we had on the trail. There were a total of 8 in the group. The class was the final for Outdoor Leadership, a 4000 level class at Utah Valley University. We took turns leading the group each day and practicing group leadership. Definitely learned a lot as we did have one student who was not as strong as everyone else, and it made for some hard decisions in order to keep the groups moral in tact and everyone healthy.

As we left the Whitehouse Trailhead, our feet were wet in the first 10 seconds of the hike. The water was cold, but the beauty of the area was totally worth it. We hiked from Whitehouse to the confluence of Buckskin that first day, which was a big accomplishment, because it was so cold, and we had a lot of navigating and dodging sink holes to do. The narrows section of the canyon is one of the most amazing things i've been able to walk through.

We approached the confluence about 7 hours after leaving the trailhead, but this wasn't until we had waded chest deep in water and a couple of use tripped and fell in the water. Our plan was to camp about 1/8 of a mile up Buckskin Gulch at a camp site up a large sand bar. Really the only camping spot near the confluence.

The next morning we made an attempt to hike up Buckskin, but didn't make it more than half a mile due to the water flowing through Buckskin reading at 33 degrees. We turned around after hitting a section that was impassable and just plain dumb to try and get through, as it was a hole that was deeper than our trekking poles and full of water.

The next few days of hiking were awesome. I loved being able to watch the sandstone layers change as we got lower and lower in the canyon. Camping was great, and we experienced very few other parties in the canyon with us.

IMG_2972.jpg IMG_2970.jpg IMG_2969.jpg IMG_2960.jpg IMG_2949.jpg IMG_2943.jpg IMG_3033.jpg IMG_3026.jpg IMG_2943.jpg IMG_2940.jpg IMG_2939.jpg IMG_2938.jpg IMG_2935.jpg IMG_2928.jpg
The water in Buckskin Gulch was just too cold!IMG_2911.jpg IMG_2908.jpg IMG_2907.jpg IMG_2905.jpg IMG_2895.jpg IMG_2888.jpg IMG_2883.jpg
Wrather ArchIMG_2882.jpg IMG_2871.jpg

So, I am unclear on the route you ultimately took. If I understand correctly, you abandoned the Buckskin Gulch route and continued down the Paria toward Lees Ferry? Sounds like a logistical nightmare. What were the air temps? 30s is some pretty dang cold water.

So, I am unclear on the route you ultimately took. If I understand correctly, you abandoned the Buckskin Gulch route and continued down the Paria toward Lees Ferry? Sounds like a logistical nightmare. What were the air temps? 30s is some pretty dang cold water.

I guess I made it sounds a lot worse than it was. The plan from the beginning was to hike from Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, with a side hike up Buckskin on day 2. The high water level made for a really interesting trip but overall it was really great.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
balzaccom Hiking in Paris Everything Else 3
BJett San Juan River - Sand Island to Clay Hills On The Water 0
D Wind River-like Zone in Canada Backpacking 5
M Lost a drone in the San Rafael River area/below the wedge. No time to hike in to retrieve. General Discussion 0
fossana Colorado River talks in Springdale, UT (March 27th, April 5th) General Discussion 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Gallatin River -- September 7-9th 2023 Backpacking 12
BJett Rockcastle River No Shuttle Packrafting - Kentucky On The Water 2
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
shredhiker Thorofare, Heart Lake, Snake River Sept. 2023 Backpacking 16
Ugly Headless Valley- Film about traveling the Nahanni River General Discussion 5
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
kwc Savage River, Denali NP Hiking & Camping 1
D Wind River offtrail route questions Trip Planning 28
Rockskipper You think you found a pithouse, or maybe an Ancestral Puebloan tower near Green River, UT? It's maybe something even more interesting... General Discussion 3
SteveR Sheep River Road Ride on May Day Everything Else 2
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
W Greetings from the West Side of the Winds (Wind River range) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
Writhdar Day hikes in the White Clouds and Lost River Range Hiking & Camping 1
BJett Packrafting the Cumberland River Below the Falls - Kentucky On The Water 6
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
kwc Cedar River Flow, Central Adirondacks On The Water 1
kwc Fall paddle on the West Branch of the Sacandaga River 10/23/22 On The Water 0
Jackson Heart Lake and Snake River for Labor Day Backpacking 23
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
R Wind River Range: Green River Lakes/Clarks Trail/Porcupine Creek Trail Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
Georgia Yankee Snake River; Wolverine, Coulter, Pilgrim Creeks, July-Aug. 2022 Backpacking 18
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 2) Backpacking 4
wsp_scott Wind River Range Sept 2021 (part 1) Backpacking 16
WasatchWill WRHR - Day 7: Beaver Park to Green River Lakes Backpacking 15
BJett Big South Fork National River & Recreation Area Packraft/Backpack Loop (TN) Backpacking 6
BJett Red River Gorge/Red Byrd Arch Packraft Trip - Kentucky Hiking & Camping 9
scatman Gila River - Gila Wilderness, New Mexico - April 18, 2022 Backpacking 61
B Wind river range mid sept. Trip Planning 8
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
marquiri Wind River Range - September 2022 Trip Planning 31
P Yellowstone Snake River weekend Backpacking 7
TheMountainRabbit Northern Wind River Traverse (Bridger/Fitzpatrick Wilderness) - September 2021 Backpacking 16
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
stretch Grand Canyon Loop: Thunder River -> Tapeats -> Kanab -> Sowats Backpacking 22
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
scatman Snake River Lollipop Loop - Yellowstone National Park - August 8, 2021 Backpacking 45
Noun Sequitur Jemez River, Las Conchas Trail and Beyond Hiking & Camping 1
D Wind River Blowdown Trip Planning 2