Packrafting Alaska

I considered that possibility...his comment on my page seemed sincere, but I wasn't sure, either.

Did we ever get a trip report? I don't remember seeing one (hint, hint) :)

I probably didn't post one here because I wore myself out writing it, and I was afraid no one would want to read the very long-winded report that I wrote. If you're interested, though, here's the full report on my website:

http://outsidebynature.com/main/packrafting-gates-of-the-arctic/

As a summary, this trip was simply amazing. The logistics of making the trip happen were daunting, and that made it even more appealing to me. Once we were dropped off by the float plane at the Arctic Divide, I don't think I've ever felt more liberated than when I watched that plane take off and leave us there. The Arctic weather challenged us. The Alanta River challenged us. The alders and tussocks challenged us. But, at the end of the two weeks, it was with reluctance that I got on that float plane to go back home. After 50 miles on the river and 20 miles of backpacking/bushwhacking (or, as my wife called it: full-contact hiking), this was, bar-none, the most amazing trip I've ever taken. The immensity of the Brooks Range is humbling in ways I never even imagined. The first time we went to Alaska and hiked south of Anchorage, I expected to find my paradise and never want to return home. But it didn't happen. I came home fairly disappointed in Alaska and decided the mosquitoes the size of my hand weren't worth the effort. But this trip changed that. If I could choose to be dropped anywhere on the planet and abandoned for the rest of my life, I would choose the Brooks Range. It's simply a place where it's easy to forget that humans exist. And that's the best compliment I know how to pay to a wilderness.

DSC06934.jpg

Last edited:
No video...... Error.....

You wouldn't want to be in the Brooks Range in winter

I think there's an error in the forum...the video was working a few minutes ago. And other videos aren't working.

No video...... Error.....

You wouldn't want to be in the Brooks Range in winter

At least not pack rafting.

Actually, the Brooks Range is awesome in the winter. I was just thinking the other day that I should travel up there for some caribou hunting. Probably not until Thanksgiving or so.

Actually, the Brooks Range is awesome in the winter. I was just thinking the other day that I should travel up there for some caribou hunting. Probably not until Thanksgiving or so.
For some of the best AK/Brooks Range adventures (or really adventures anywhere), make sure to check out Luc Mehl's site https://thingstolucat.com/. Just ridiculous trips up there and his videos are great. There are a couple reports from the winter Wilderness Classic in the Brooks range. This one is one of my fav trips he has on there (30 days/370 miles unsupported):

Last edited:

Temporary.....I mean staying there all winter....living there

For some of the best AK/Brooks Range adventures (or really adventures anywhere), make sure to check out Luc Mehl's site https://thingstolucat.com/. Just ridiculous trips up there and his videos are great. There are a couple reports from the winter Wilderness Classic in the Brooks range. This one is one of my fav trips he has on there (30 days/370 miles unsupported):
There goes my evening.

I enjoyed your trip report and video. I went to the Arrigetch way back in August of 1983. If you think that it is hard to find information now you can imagine what it was like back then before the Internet :D I know that feeling you wrote about when the bush plane leaves and you think about where in the world you are. It is hard to describe, but truly awesome. We did a 10 day backpack starting in the main valley and then crossing over into Aiyagomahala Creek and ended up at Takahula Lake. I can recommend a trip to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge as well if you get the chance. Go north when you can !

Our plan was to go over to Aiyagomahala Creek, but the weather just wasn't cooperating. But that just gives me a reason to go back!

And I definitely hope to go to the Refuge. I kinda have my eye set on trying a Brooks Range traverse for my retirement party.

Great video. I did a rafting trip on the Kongakut, and seeing that little plane disappear over the great big ridge... and the quiet. That’s quite a feeling.

In one of his books, Edward Abby describes something amazing and immaculate. His next sentence... “Routine stuff.” I think about that often. I live by Yellowstone—geysers? Routine stuff. Thermal pools? Routine stuff. High ridge with a lake and a black bear with two roll-poly cubs. Routine stuff.

Pringles