Pacific Crest Trail (NOBO) Part 8/10

Miya

Because I am able.
Days: 153 - 174
Miles: 2151.9 - 2477.9
Zero Days: 3

Crossing into Washington in a hurry! Partly because crossing this busy bridge was one of the highest risk things I did on trail.

20210820_163638(0).jpg

By the time I got to Washington, in my head, I was ALMOST there. Less than 600 miles left! It seemed so close that I could almost let my guard down and think "I am going to make it to the end." I knew not to get too excited though, 600 miles is still plenty of time for something to go wrong, so I would just keep walking; one day at a time, one mile at a time.

20210820_164241.jpg

Washington was the most significant border change to the senses. As soon we got off the road and hit the trail, WA smelled different, looked different, and felt different. Everything was moist and full of life, while Oregon had been dry and mostly brown.

PCT21 1.jpg

PCT21 6.jpg

Mile marker 2200

20210822_163610.jpg

WA is overrun with 'carwash bushes'. It didn't matter if the previous day was hot and sunny, all the bushes and trees would be soaked in the morning and that meant so too would you be. I made sure to put on my rain gear every morning and usually wouldn't remove it until 1300-1500.

PCT21 10.jpg

PCT21 24.jpg

Not the largest mushroom I would find on trail, but still, very impressive.

20210826_132919.jpg

Hmmmmmm...

20210826_152057.jpg

There were maybe 2-5 questions I got from every single person that had PCT inquires. One question was "Is there a certain part or section you are looking forward to, like (Yosemite, Crater Lake, Vasquez Rocks?)" This is a good question, most people had a list of answers. I had only 2, "The northern monument and Knife's Edge in Goat Rocks Wilderness".

And so, it was a happy surprise when we stumbled upon it shortly after entering Washington. For some reason I had thought that section was near the end of Washington.

It had been raining off and on the last two days. The views were usually covered in fog in the mornings and evenings. The morning of Goat Rocks Wilderness, would be no exception. I was pretty grumpy and throwing an internal tantrum at the weather. I do prefer clouds and rain, but not today...I didn't want it today. Since I had been so spoiled on trail so far, I could only hope that the fog would clear by the time I reached the summit.

PCT21 34.jpg

Got my way again...Starting to head up and I see bluuuuuueueueueueue skies.

20210827_101217.jpg

PCT21 41.jpg

There were A LOT of weekend warriors camped at the base.

PCT21 44.jpg

Glad there were still some clouds. Made for a magical experience.

20210827_112300.jpg

PCT21 57.jpg

PCT21 59.jpg

PCT21 67.jpg

Upon reaching the top, we socialized with an older gentleman who proceeded to sing us a song about why dog's sniff each other's bums.

PCT21 58.jpg

We are headed back down.

PCT21 64.jpg

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

IMG_9890.jpg

PCT21 70.jpg

We would get overtaken by the fog again in a matter of minutes. We would drop below it in another hour or so, but I was so grateful for the moments I had and the sights I was able to see when I was above the clouds.

PCT21 74.jpg

PCT21 78.jpg

PCT21 89.jpg

This bit of trail RIGHT here, is where I got stuck on the fact that Skittles motto is super wrong. "Taste the Rainbow"? Skittles do not utilize every color of the rainbow?! What the heck? How do they get away with this? But Washington...Washington has all the colors of Skittles and they need to change their motto to "Taste Washington State".

PCT21 93.jpg

PCT21 94.jpg

PCT21 101.jpg

PCT21 106.jpg

We would resupply and spend the night at White Pass gas station. Yes, another gas station. My cousin and her family came to meet us and bring us Subway sandwiches! I hadn't seen her since her wedding, over 10 years prior, nor met her 3 beautiful kids! It was a fantastic visit.

We had heard there was an active fire ~10 miles from the trail, but were told there shouldn't be a problem as long as we left by the next day. Lo and behold, a fire would start less than 2 miles from us and we would be running from new active fires for the entirety of the day.

Miya la-dee-da-ing down the trail, imagining the leftover 6 inch meatball sub she is going to eat at her lunch break. "Oh! that looks kinda close..."

PCT21 111.jpg

A short break with Sawyer, and a few switchbacks later. "Oh...pretty sure it is bigger now". We reviewed our path for the day and if we continued forward we would continue to move away from the fire, and the wind was in our favor. If we turned around we would only put ourselves closer to the fire. And so...Onward and Upward!

PCT21 122.jpg

More new fires.

PCT21 126.jpg

Oh...and why not, some more? We used our Garmin to get these reported to the correct people.

PCT21 127.jpg

PCT21 137.jpg

2300 Miles

20210829_091301.jpg

Fireweed trail.

PCT21 150.jpg

20210830_173637.jpg

Starting to see more mushrooms.

PCT21 153.jpg

Red Amanita Muscaria - I always heard these were toxic and can make you hallucinate, which can be true if consumed raw. They can even be fatal. I found out (and verified) that they are commonly served in Europe and are not toxic if you prepare them correctly.

PCT21 154.jpg

A Pika unleashing his MIGHTY SQUEAK!

PCT21 159.jpg

Spent a night at Snoqualamie Pass putting on some pounds. Here is a very large pizza we consumed.

20210903_114926.jpg

Leaving Snoqualamie was quite busy. People were jumping around from everywhere now. Skipped from CA, skipped OR because of fires, getting back where they had been before PCT trail Days and a FISH concert, or skipped because they wanted to.

PCT21 162.jpg

Sawyer and I decided to hike on from the lakes that looked full of weekend warriors and thru hikers. We found an amazing spot that we had all to ourselves. I even had time to make a 2400 mile marker. We must have missed it on the ascent.

20210904_181937.jpg

PCT21 169.jpg

PCT21 171.jpg

Even though I made the last mile marker, it ended up getting into my head.

No one was as surprised as me at how much I loved thru hiking. Of course there were challenges and I don't want to make any other thru hikers feel like I thought it was "EASY", it wasn't. However, I woke up everyday wanting to hike. I woke up excited and I didn't get bored or sick of it. I felt very lucky.

But then...it finally happened...I woke up and didn't want to hike anymore. Being so close to the end, ~250 miles, made it seem like it was just in my reach and so my brain and/or body decided I was close enough and didn't need to enjoy myself anymore.

Day 169:
"The trail was providing me with so much and I still couldn't leave my depression behind. I felt confused, weak, and so tired. My body did not want to walk. I just wanted to sit and not go any further."

Momma and baby Mountain Goat

PCT21 182.jpg

PCT21 184.jpg

PCT21 187.jpg

PCT21 189.jpg

PCT21 195.jpg

There is actually a bear down there coming out of the creek. I could see it in person and you can see it on my full file size.

PCT21 197.jpg

This scene was breathtaking. It didn't even seem real and I NEED to return with a wide angle lens.

PCT21 199.jpg

My PHONE UNEDITED, yes...it is THAT GORGEOUS!!

20210905_095336.jpg

PCT21 211.jpg

PCT21 219.jpg

PCT21 225.jpg

PCT21 226.jpg

Heading into Leavenworth, WA.

PCT21 234.jpg

Both for me.

20210907_181335.jpg

One of my favorite sugar cookies ever! I packed out 3 of them to eat on the trail.

20210908_125240.jpg

Since we reached WA, I was a tumble of mixed emotions. I didn't want it to be over, but also wanted nothing more than to get the hell off trail and just stop walking. Buuut, I would stay at least one night in EVERY resupply town in an attempt to prolong the journey.

Because I struggled so much from Snoqualamie Pass to Leavenworth, we would spend 3 nights there being tourists. I needed to put on as many pounds as possible and try to get a full nights rest. I had never wanted to quit the trail, and don't misunderstand, the thought NEVER crossed my mind, but if I had to name a moment where I was closest to calling it quits, it was here, when I was so close to the end.

Last edited:
Some of those pictures are just stunning, another great report! I was reluctant to try A. Muscaria, I didn't see how the texture/flavor could hold up after two extended boils. It actually did and was much better than I expected.

Some of those pictures are just stunning, another great report! I was reluctant to try A. Muscaria, I didn't see how the texture/flavor could hold up after two extended boils. It actually did and was much better than I expected.
Oh cool! So glad to know that. Did you just boil and eat? Or did you boil and then cook it another way, like with butter or seasonings?

I love your PCT trip reports … quite a journey in so many ways. Thank you so much for sharing. I really look forward to your next chapter!

So many beautiful photos - as always! The cloud ones are especially unusual, and I love the mountains and everything else.

Those photos are absolutely stunning Miya. Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Getting close to the end is such a jumble of joy/nervousness/whatever. Totally get it. Congrats for pushing thru.

Getting close to the end is such a jumble of joy/nervousness/whatever. Totally get it. Congrats for pushing thru.

Thank you! You are like an expert at this haha does it ever get less...intense near the end? Or is it always just as frustrating/exciting/exhausting/sad/whatever word could describe it?

Hi Miya,

I'm loving these trip reports ... your minimalist writing style, and use of so many macro photos of the flowers and fauna along the trail has somehow perfectly captured the truly epic nature of your journey

Your dedication and determination to hike as much of the entire trail as possible is seriously impressive ... it's been quite a revelation to read your accounts of other hikers and their more 'free-form' ideas of what it means to 'complete' the route !

Keep up the good work ...

Thank you! You are like an expert at this haha does it ever get less...intense near the end? Or is it always just as frustrating/exciting/exhausting/sad/whatever word could describe it?
In my experience yes, but every person is different. And every experience is different. On one hike, I went from the backwoods of Maine to the glittering Manhattan HQ of a Fortune 500 in less than 24 hours. On another, I took a week off the trail only 10 days from Canada to attend a family event. Once I got attacked by a bear and spent the last few weeks worrying about infection and re-routing to avoid all the scrambles. Point is, there's always something that gets you off-kilter. I suspect next time, you'll be prepared for it, so it won't catch you off-guard.

Oh cool! So glad to know that. Did you just boil and eat? Or did you boil and then cook it another way, like with butter or seasonings?
After boiling twice (changing water in between) just sautéed with butter and garlic. They held up surprisingly well, almost as if the long boil had no effect on them.

In my experience yes, but every person is different. And every experience is different. On one hike, I went from the backwoods of Maine to the glittering Manhattan HQ of a Fortune 500 in less than 24 hours. On another, I took a week off the trail only 10 days from Canada to attend a family event. Once I got attacked by a bear and spent the last few weeks worrying about infection and re-routing to avoid all the scrambles. Point is, there's always something that gets you off-kilter. I suspect next time, you'll be prepared for it, so it won't catch you off-guard.

So many adventures! Sounds incredible.
And "off-kilter" is the perfect name. I wonder if that is someone's trail name...hah!

Your dedication and determination to hike as much of the entire trail as possible is seriously impressive ... it's been quite a revelation to read your accounts of other hikers and their more 'free-form' ideas of what it means to 'complete' the route !

Thanks for saying so :)

Even though some of the bigger YouTube thru hikers allude to the fact that people skip around on trail, I was actually shocked at how few people hike the entirety of it and how little it means to them to do so. Of course, that is OK, I was just surprised. @LarryBoy mentioned he doesn't seem to come across this with such a high frequency, but he tends to be a faster hiker. The faster hikers that passed me by definitely seemed more determined to hike the entire trail and I am sure they did!

My boyfriend also thru hiked the PCT in 2012 with a class of only 400 people and he said skipping was not common and if someone did, everyone on trail new about it haha 2012 is when Wild came out and I think that definitely brought popularity and a different crowd. The whole book and movie is about Cheryl Strayed who did 1000-1100 miles of the trail, she did not thru hike and she skipped the hardest parts haha so I think that might start people off with the idea that a journey is what they want and not a thru hike.