Noobs: Introduce Yourself!

Hey everybody! I'm Adam, I was born in St.G when my dad was a ranger at Zion, I lived in Anchorage AK for about 8 years, then back to Kanab Utah for Middle/High School. I now live in SLC, went to school @ the U and studied Geology. I work as a geologist for the Utah Geologic Survey.

I love backpacking, I just don't get out and do enough of it as I'd like. I spend most of my free summer time rafting in Utah and Arizona on private trips and commercial trips with my girlfriends family's commercial rafting business in the Grand Canyon & Utah.

I stumbled upon backcountrypost.com and Nicks blog post about the 4 lakes basin in the Uintas, which I am planning on doing this weekend with some family. This is an awesome site! I'm happy to be a member now. I love photography also, so this seems like a great place to share some of my work.

Hello all. My name is Will. I was born at Hill AFB, then moved around the country a bit as a child being in a military family. My dad ended up back at Hill AFB near the end of my grade school years and finished off his career in the Air Force with BYU's ROTC program. I now currently live in Provo, UT with a family of my own. Needless to say, the Wasatch & Uinta Mountains have been a playground for me. Southern Utah has also become another popular stomping ground since marrying into a family with ancestors who helped to settle Torrey, UT and the Capitol Reef area where they have had annual family reunions.

I've been setting up a bucket list of trails and hikes to do over the rest of my lifetime and keep bumping into this site in my research and image searches. I've been diving deeper into it and it's apparent Nick has a great thing going here. Seeing that this site is full of Utah-centric trail guides, reports, and members, I couldn't help but feel at home and could not resist jumping in as a member.

I used to faithfully wake up at 7 am on Saturday mornings in my youth to catch a show called "Trailside" on PBS and have developed a love for the outdoors and backpacking ever since. I haven't been able to do nearly as much as I would have liked at this point in my life (due to the combination of work & family life), but I'm now aiming to change all that...getting into the backcountry that is. My backpacking experience is actually quite limited. I am ashamed to say that I can actually count the number of pack trips on one hand: Silver Lake (American Fork), Rock Canyon (Provo), Coyote Gulch, and most recently King's Peak. Coyote Gulch was incredible when my wife and I did it a few years ago and then an opportunity to do King's Peak came up this summer and that re-awakened my desire to get back outdoors more and start seeing more of Utah's backcountry and beyond. While most would still consider me young, life is flying by, hence I've recently been compiling an ever-growing bucket list of trails I hope to find time to do over the next several years. In the mean time, I look forward to checking in often and keeping up with all of your backcountry adventures in addition to being able to share some of my own. I'm sure my bucket list will only continue to grow with the aid of this site.

Hey-oh! My name is Kevin. I live in North Lake Tahoe and II'm addicted to mountains and the outdoors in general. I realize that as a California resident, this seemingly Utah-focused website may not be as useful to me as the majority of you fiolks. That said, I've already seen a bunch of great posts and topics and heck! I've never backpacked anywhere in Utah! << any ideas for a first trip?

I'm doing the John Muir Trail next month and will be happy to contribute details/photos/maps once complete.

Hi all,

My wife and I are heading to Wyoming from Ireland this Sept and are planning to do a series of day hikes in the Grand Tetons and Wind Rivers. We (for now) are settling on Paintbrush Canyon and Alaska Basin in the Tetons and hopefully the Cirque in the Winds. So, I would really appreciate if you can tell me if these walks are actually do-able in single days or have I got that totally wrong? If I have, can you recommend some good fairly strenuous walks that can be done in a day in these areas. We are also hoping to have a go at some hikes in the Big Horns.
I love your web page, some really good tips and advice. Flying from Ireland it's a task to try and get all the planning right so any advice directions etc will make the experience less stressful and ejoyable will be much appreciated.
We travelled to Montana in 2009 and had a great time and met some wonderful people. On our last few days we dipped into Wyoming and vowed to go back. Looking forward to Sept
Thanks
Gerard

Hello fellow packers,

Stumbled to site last night seeking guidance for solo backpacking; boy did I find the right site! I live in Northern California, enjoying time on Mount Tamalpais each weekend. My heart belongs to the (White) Trinities.

Saturday I am leaving for Kings Canyon, first solo trip. Goal is to cross Silliman crest into Lost, Beville and Ranger Lakes.

Thanks for allowing a noob to join boards!

Hey guys/gals.
I am Rick Mitchell. I am a freak with music, lakes, fishing, hiking, snowshoeing, and anything I can try.
I am not super active, but I do my best to see the sights Utah and everywhere else has to offer.

I will get pictures and info up as soon as possible... I am planning a trip right now, so kinda busy. :)
Thank you,

Rick Mitchell
Kinetic Eon

We (for now) are settling on Paintbrush Canyon and Alaska Basin in the Tetons and hopefully the Cirque in the Winds. So, I would really appreciate if you can tell me if these walks are actually do-able in single days or have I got that totally wrong?

Welcome, @Gerard!

I think that dayhiking the Cirque of the Towers might be a little ambitious. It's about 20 miles roundtrip just to get in and out of the Cirque, including a fairly long and steep climb over Jackass Pass. You could probably do it if you got started at the crack of dawn, but you'd probably be hurting at the end of the day, and you'd probably be wishing you had spent more time there!

And don't forget the elevation. Coming from sea level, the altitude is going to make things harder.

Maybe look at hiking to Photographer's Point in the Winds. The trail starts at Elkhart Park and is only about 9 miles roundtrip. While it doesn't get you into the heart of the Winds, it does get you to a nice overlook of the heart if the Winds. You could also do a loop around Green River Lakes. That is an easy trail, but it's very scenic.

Looking at Paintbrush, it looks to be about 20 miles roundtrip, also (or 15 miles if you turn around at the Divide). And the elevation gain is about 3500 feet. Again, it might be doable if you start at the crack of dawn, but it won't be easy.

And, lastly, Alaska Basin is about 15 miles roundtrip with about 2600 feet of elevation gain.

My advice for the Teton hikes is to start at dawn with the hope of making it all the way, but just enjoying the hike and turning around when you have had enough. The hikes will be great even if you don't do the whole thing. And then look at those other suggestions for the Winds.

Have fun!

I think that dayhiking the Cirque of the Towers might be a little ambitious. It's about 20 miles roundtrip just to get in and out of the Cirque, including a fairly long and steep climb over Jackass Pass. You could probably do it if you got started at the crack of dawn, but you'd probably be hurting at the end of the day, and you'd probably be wishing you had spent more time there!

And don't forget the elevation. Coming from sea level, the altitude is going to make things harder.

Maybe look at hiking to Photographer's Point in the Winds. The trail starts at Elkhart Park and is only about 9 miles roundtrip. While it doesn't get you into the heart of the Winds, it does get you to a nice overlook of the heart if the Winds. You could also do a loop around Green River Lakes. That is an easy trail, but it's very scenic.
Photographer's point is awesome but the hike in is probably 95% in the trees with no views. I'd recommend the Green River Lakes area over Photographer's point. Also, the Green River Lakes area is lower elevation than Photographer's and Big Sandy/Cirque, making it easier to hike coming from sea level.

Welcome, @Gerard!

Looking at Paintbrush, it looks to be about 20 miles roundtrip, also (or 15 miles if you turn around at the Divide). And the elevation gain is about 3500 feet. Again, it might be doable if you start at the crack of dawn, but it won't be easy.

And, lastly, Alaska Basin is about 15 miles roundtrip with about 2600 feet of elevation gain.

My advice for the Teton hikes is to start at dawn with the hope of making it all the way, but just enjoying the hike and turning around when you have had enough. The hikes will be great even if you don't do the whole thing. And then look at those other suggestions for the Winds.

Have fun!

Thanks Aldaron, thats really useful and good to get the hikes into some some sort of context (why risk hurting that bad when we have so much to see, it's not worth the risk).
Kind regards
Gerard

Eric here, new member.
Born and raised here in Utah. Lived out of state in the military and then for school. Always came back.
Growing up my family spent every holiday camping. Most of the time in southern Utah. I can remember being the only ones camping in the squaw flat camp ground over Easter. I now have two boys that I've taken all over. Came to this site while planning our next adventure.
I hope to contribute and not just lurk.
Next week 6 days in salt creek. I have a tentative plan on what we are going to do. Any advice you have I would love.
Thank you.

Hi! I'm Seth. Born and raised in the Midwest, but migrated out here and haven't found a reason to leave yet. I've mostly done camping the family way with a car, but I'm slowly getting into backpacking. Have to get the nature bug firmly planted in the kids. I'm headed up to Cuberant Lakes this weekend with some scouts, and my research led me here. Glad to have found you!

Hellooo! I'm Dan from Florida. Been lurking for a while. I hike or fish every weekend, weather permitting. I love the Rocky Mountain Backcountry. I've done a 5 day solo in the Sangres, and a 7 day solo in the Winds (Elkhart Park, Cook Lakes, Titcomb basin). This year I'm doing 9 days in the Winds. As you can see the trips keep getting longer. Already planning something big for 2014 too. I wish I could do more than just one BP trip out West a year. After I win the lottery I'll be getting a second home in Wyoming and spend my summers there....

Hello everyone, new member here. Just recently got into hiking and ran across this forum, after reading on it a bit, i decided to join.
I live in Oklahoma and like to be outdoors, fishing, camping, off-roading and recently hiking.
I have done quite a couple of good hikes so far, and looking forward to many more.

Hi all!

I found this website while searching for info on making your own trail meals as an alternative to commercial backpacking meals. I grew up camping with my family in beautiful SoCal and I've hiked and camped in Hawaii and in the southern Applachians. I'm inexperienced in backpacking, but am planning a 3-day trip to the Trinities next month. I've been dreaming about this trip for more than a year. My husband and I are recent Oregon transplants and came here to enjoy a more engaged outdoor lifestyle. We love to hike, camp and bike and last winter we snowshoed for the first time.

I've worked for a national outdoor retailer for years, have volunteered to build/maintain trails, and am a dedicated conservationist and lover of the wilderness. I would like to spend more of my time in the backcountry getting in touch with my inner Muir (my hero). I'm a bit of a gearhead and love learning about new technologies and innovations in outdoor gear.

I'm looking forward to learning from experienced packers and reading about trips and techniques. If there's anyone here in my gorgeous neck of the woods, I think it would be fun to meet new people on the trail.

@Brown Eyed Girl do not hesitate to ask of any info regarding the Trinities. if you are going over Labor Day, try to arrive early.

New Noob here. :) Great site. I have been drooling over the different hikes. Thanks for the good trip reports.

-R

There is a ton of good info on the site, I'm going to drive people nuts talking about the things i have been reading on here.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

HI, I am noob Eric. I used to hike and enjoy the Utah outdoors a lot when I was younger and recently found the desire to start hiking again, and to get my 2 boys into it as well. We are taking short hikes and building our equipment now and working our way up to longer hikes and stays. I am also a photographer (or a wanna be anyway lol) I hope to have some good stories and pics soon!

Hello, I'm obviously Ken. I'm a Southern Utah native that thought I was outdoorsy until I met some very cool, really outdoorsy people. I've had a great time this year canyoneering, camping, mountain baking, kayaking, and backpacking. I have the gear, just not a lot of experience. Hoping to rectify that.