Album Non-Backcountry Photos

Vegan.Hiker

While Mother Nature's architecture is unmatched, my geographic location unfortunately limits my access to her work. Now that BCP has gotten me hooked on learning about photography, I've started to look at New York City and it's man-made wonders with a different eye (actually I look at everything a little differently now). I've lived 20 miles from NYC my whole life but never thought about photographing it until recently.

Even though this is a backcountry website, I thought it might be cool to have one catch-all album for all things not in the backcountry.

Here are a few I took over the holiday break.

A black and white looking up from the ground floor of the Guggenheim Museum
DSC00052.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

This place just has really cool lines
DSC00143.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

Grand Central Terminal
DSC00196.jpg

The Empire State Building
DSC00248.jpg

The Flat Iron Building at the confluence of 5th Ave and Broadway
DSC00276-1.jpg

New York's version of a deep slot canyon
DSC00285.jpg

DSC00288.jpg

Looking toward the Empire State Building right before and after sunset from the top of 30 Rockefeller Center
DSC00300.jpg

DSC00363-1.jpg

The Guggenheim from across the street. I wanted a long exposure with cars and no busses since the busses sort of block the building but a bus passed by in every attempt
DSC00376.jpg

I went to the Big Apple for the first time end of November.
Needless to say, I was glad to back a few days later. It will probably my one one and only visit ever to a big city.
I'm a small town girl.

At least I ended up with a few nice skyline shots.

i-Xg6fb6g-L.jpg

Nice shots. The Guggenheim especially.
Here are a few.

Pantheon, Rome:

I0000ZMuEX_dXYtc.jpg

A bridge near Vernazza, Italy:

I0000XudinJEiEHo.jpg

La Sal Junction, Utah:

I0000ZKwPtzzHdSs.jpg

Cisco, Ut:

I0000.W.gOfjDc7o.jpg

School above Woody Creek, Co, with Aspen Highlands in the distance:

I0000qvZXjnTl0vY.jpg

New Jersey Empty Sky memorial:

I0000oVLHxagR6PY.jpg

Last edited:
I really love those low cumulus clouds behind the schoolhouse @gnwatts. Interesting to see that you were in my neck of the woods. I assume that was actual wreckage from 911 in the foreground.. There's a small memorial in a park in my town with a torn and twisted steel beam from the WTC. It's tough to look at.

I went to the Big Apple for the first time end of November.
Needless to say, I was glad to back a few days later. It will probably my one one and only visit ever to a big city.
I'm a small town girl.

At least I ended up with a few nice skyline shots.

i-Xg6fb6g-L.jpg

Yvonne, that's the Brooklyn Bridge from the Brooklyn side looking towards Manhattan right? Great shot.

Last edited:
Nice shots, all. @Vegan.Hiker, have you tried playing with perspective correction adjustments in lightroom? It makes it so you can straighten out lines as if you had an expensive tilt shift lens like @gnwatts has. I use it a lot doing architectural and real estate photos. Not always the effect you want for this kind of stuff as your photos show quite well, but another fun tool in your arsenal.

The only cityscape I've shot for fun in recent memory was from my balcony in Vegas in Oct 2014. It was way up high. I can't remember what floor but I think like three or four hundred feet up. I was so stoked to find out I had a balcony with no glass to block my shot so I shot this time lapse one night. Enjoy in 4k if your display has enough pixels.

@Vegan.Hiker, have you tried playing with perspective correction adjustments in lightroom

Nope but I just googled it after reading your post. I can definitely see why I really should. I don't use Lightroom, but I think it's called Keystone in my program. Will experiment! Thanks for the advice.

What do you use? As a guy who didn't use lightroom for years, I just have to say, make the switch. You'll thank me later. I've been punching myself for the last year for not doing it sooner.

What do you use? As a guy who didn't use lightroom for years, I just have to say, make the switch. You'll thank me later. I've been punching myself for the last year for not doing it sooner.

I've been using Cyberlink Photo Director. I bought it because I use Cyberlink Power Director for video editing and they sort of interact, but that's not really a good reason to use an inferior product I guess. I can get a good discount on Lightroom from my job so I'll look into switching.

Now that you told me about the keystone thing. I'm realizing how bad it is in the pic of the flatiron building and also the columns in grand central terminal. Seems like a really important thing if you're shooting buildings. Really glad you pointed that out to me.

Last edited:
One of the many perks of my job is that I get to go to a lot of college sports venues. Here are some just from this past year.
Hopefully this doesn't ruin your non backpacking photos thread...but to me these are cool photos!

Michigan
IMG_6015.JPG

Indiana
IMG_0055.JPG

Oklahoma
IMG_0132.JPG

Arkansas
IMG_0169.JPG

Kansas
IMG_0345.JPG

Ohio State
Ohio State Field.jpeg

I really love those low cumulus clouds behind the schoolhouse

Yvonne, that's the Brooklyn Bridge from the Brooklyn side looking towards Manhattan right? Great shot.

yeah, I walked a few nights out to Brooklyn Bridge Park in Brooklyn, so I could enjoy the Manhattan skyline from there. This was on my bucket list for years and I'm glad I did it. But it will definitely be a once in a lifetime trip.

Love your Guggenheim shots. I was in the museum during my stay and really liked it a lot.

I've been using Cyberlink Photo Director. I bought it because I use Cyberlink Power Director for video editing and they sort of interact, but that's not really a good reason to use an inferior product I guess. I can get a good discount on Lightroom from my job so I'll look into switching.

Man, your photog skills have been great to watch blossom. You should be using nothing less than Lightroom at this point. Even at the full price $10/mo.

Quoted for emphasis...
You'll thank me later.

VH thanks for making my day with those urban shots. I'll likely be headed to NYC for a month this winter for work stuff and am really down on being far away from the outdoors

A few shots from the small show I am doing at CCAH in Carbondale.

I0000jDO9pedfciY.jpg

Corniglia, Italy

I0000unPat632kfU.jpg

Falling off Hoover Dam
I was able to enlarge this shot to 30"x 42"

I0000lnObnYyMZ5s.jpg

Bills Music, Delta, Co

I0000nYfylj5zHvI.jpg

Bridge abutment, Thompson Creek, Co

I00003gBze4h.EIs.jpg

Gable end, South Fork, Thompson Creek, Co

I0000bQOWqfdt0Yg.jpg

Pantheon, Rome

I0000ET9p2waMYyc.jpg

Roman carving, Fiesole, Italy

I0000P6kp3RTvnDM.jpg

Drain, Vernazza, Italy
This guy I was also able to enlarge to 30" x 42"

I0000ApD5i7Qaeyk.jpg

Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, Ca

I00006_sLBC8XLwA.jpg

The Black Nugget, Carbondale, Co

I0000.wgX66MjzYI.jpg

Me, 1985 (I am a lot skinnier!)
Cardiff By the Sea, Ca

One of the many perks of my job is that I get to go to a lot of college sports venues. Here are some just from this past year.
Hopefully this doesn't ruin your non backpacking photos thread...but to me these are cool photos!

Michigan
View attachment 39009

Ohio State
View attachment 39014

Good photos @Parma !
First was the best. Last was the worst - had to scrub my monitor after scrolling past it.

Thanks. I was driving from San Diego to Colorado, and I thought I could make it to Hoover Dam, which I had never seen, before it closed. This was before they finished that bridge, and you could park relatively close. After an agonizing 10 minute search of my car at the entrance (a few years after 9/11) I got to the parking area, took my camera and tripod, and ran to the dam, as there was only a few minutes before it was closed. I was walking out on to the dam and the security guard saw me (you can see him when the image is enlarged) so I set my camera to a 10 second timer, and held it over the dam edge and lowered it down, as if you are falling off.

It's not backcountry nor is it a cityscape, but I can walk out of my house and have views like this.

home-sunset6-12232015-L.jpg

Sometimes you just can't get into the backcountry, so you set up your tent right next to your ultimate adventure Ford Focus.

DSC00580-L.jpg

And one from a fair while ago, back when I was in school at UNL. This is one of the entrances to the student union on the ag campus at night. Taken with my first DSLR, a Nikon D60.

DSC_2400-L.jpg

A few more that may be interesting.

Harvesting soybeans a few years ago. My uncle is driving the combine in the foreground and one of my cousins is driving the one in the background.
DSC_3822-L.jpg

At one point that fall they had three going at once.
DSC_3837-L.jpg

Gavin's Point Dam spillway gates during the Missouri River flood in 2011.
DSC_5895-L.jpg

A strange building somewhere out in Southeastern Washington.
P1020516-L.jpg

Scottsbluff, Nebraska as seen from a B-25.
P1020998-L.jpg

The Platte River at Columbus, Nebraska in 2012, dry all the way across.
P1030066-L.jpg

Main street at Ponca Nebraska, with the sky lit by an approaching thunderstorm.
DSC_7225-L.jpg

A distinctly Plains style winter sport: Snow tubing!
DSC_8352-L.jpg

Tornado damage at a relative's farm.
P1040879-L.jpg

Sorry for the overload of photos, but I'm bored and looking up the first few got me looking through more, and I just started linking to ones that looked interesting enough to share.