Mount Raymond and Gobblers Knob Lollipop Loop - June 18, 2021

scatman

On Friday, I completed a 13.2mile lollipop loop which included summiting Mount Raymond and Gobblers Knob. I began at 6:30 am at the road in Millcreek Canyon and finished about eleven hours later. I accessed the Mount Olympus Wilderness via the Bowman Fork Trail, where the wildflowers were plentiful. I summited Raymond first before heading over to Gobblers. I had an interesting encounter with a rattlesnake on one of the scramble sections just before the summit of Raymond. After summiting Gobblers, I made my way down into Alexander Basin, before hitting the connector trail that took me back to the Bowman Fork Trail. As the day proceeded, it became hotter and hotter. I consumed just about a gallon and a half of water/Gatorade on this one.

Here are some shots of my hike.

Mount_Raymond_Gobblers_Knob_Lollipop_Loop.jpg
Overview map of my route

01.jpg
Closed gate to the Terraces Picnic Area where the official trailhead is located, about 1/4 mile up the road.

02.jpg
Mallow Ninebark

03.jpg
Wilderness Boundary

04.jpg
Thimbleberry

05.jpg
Geranium

06.jpg
Columbine

07.jpg
More Columbine

08.jpg
Wasatch Beardtongue

09.jpg
Mule Ears

10.jpg
Starting to break our with some views - Peak 8656

11.jpg
Lupine

12.jpg
Wild Rose

13.jpg
Cinquefoil

14.jpg
Scarlet Gilia

15.jpg
Yellow Salsify

16.jpg
Monument Plant

17.jpg
Ninebark along the trail

18.jpg
Mount Raymond comes into view

19.jpg
Connector trail junction sign that I would use to get back to Bowman Fork

20.jpg
Aspen

22.jpg
View back down the lower end of Porter Fork with Grandeur Peak in the distance

23.jpg
Canada Violet

24.jpg
Deer ahead

25.jpg
Mount Raymond

26.jpg
Looking back towards Millcreek Canyon

27.jpg
Mount Raymond, viewed from Baker Pass

28.jpg
Working my way up the ridge

29.jpg
Beginning of the first scramble section

30.jpg
Ran into this guy on the second scramble part

31.jpg
For whatever reason he never rattled at me

32.jpg
Peek-a-boo

33.jpg
And off it goes

35.jpg
Almost there

36.jpg
View of Wildcat Ridge

37.jpg
Geologic Survey Marker on the summit of Raymond

38.jpg
A look up Broads Fork Canyon, across Big Cottonwood Canyon, with Dromedary, Sunrise and Broads Fork Twin Peaks

39.jpg
Hey @The Trout Whisperer, I found this rusty saw on the summit. I figured we could use it for your toe issues instead of the hatchet. :D

40.jpg
A look to the east at Gobblers Knob

41.jpg
A view up Big Cottonwood Canyon

42.jpg
Gobblers Knob from Baker Pass

43.jpg
Looking back at Mount Raymond, viewed just off the summit of Gobblers Knob

44.jpg
On the summit of Gobblers Knob

45.jpg
Heading down off of Gobblers towards Alexander Basin

46.jpg
View down into Alexander Basin

47.jpg
Cut-leaf Kittentail

48.jpg
Some snow still left in the basin - Millvue Peak in the distance

49.jpg
Continuing down the basin with (L-R) Mount Aire, Peak 8490, Millvue Peak, Peak 9074 along the Millcreek ridgeline

50.jpg
Junction sign for the connector trail that leads back to the Bowman Fork Trail. @regehr
had warned me that this trail was for the most part uphill, and he wasn't kidding. Not
only that, but there was quite a bit of downfall across this trail too, and the day was really
beginning to heat up. My legs were tired by this time, so this was a tough stretch for me.
I had the connector trail blues. :) Don't tell anyone, but I might have been mumbling
to myself and drooling along this stretch. :confused:

51.jpg
Where's the trail crew when you need them? :)

52.jpg
There were excellent views from the connector trail though. This shot shows an excellent view of the hike I did the previous week
from Mount Aire, east along the ridgeline to Peak 8490 and beyond.

53.jpg
Kissing the junction sign that marked the end of the connector trail. :heart_eyes:

54.jpg
Almost back to my Jeep which is parked across the road.

The End.

Last edited:
Today's conundrum (Scatster to self while donning kilt): Bog boots or snake boots? Nah, won't need either.

Ever thought of doing a wildflower book? Especially since your other ones were so successful...

Beautiful photos - I love all the close-up flowers as well as the big scenery!

Since I had never heard of Mount Raymond and Gobbler's Knob, I just looked them up to see where they're located and saw news reports of Wednesday's death from the hiker falling while coming down from the summit. How sad. Glad you made it down safely.

Love it!! That's 5000' vertical, kind of a day! I did both of these in a day once but it was from the BCC side, so not nearly so difficult.

I also saw the news of the death up there recently, very scary!

Today's conundrum (Scatster to self while donning kilt): Bog boots or snake boots? Nah, won't need either.

Ever thought of doing a wildflower book? Especially since your other ones were so successful...

Hey, has Biscuit McGee got those bog boots ready for me yet? @Rockskipper, do you think you could check and give me a status update? Much appreciated.

You know I can't write a lick. I would struggle with Dear Rockskipper, just to begin a formal letter.

Now my last book, How to Ride a Mule Backwards, had all the makings of a NYT best seller until the pandemic hit, and then everyone just wanted to ride their mules the proper way. Talk about bad luck. :)

mule_001.jpg
Can you imagine his excitement if he had read my book and was facing the other way?

What should I title this upcoming wildflower book?

Beautiful photos - I love all the close-up flowers as well as the big scenery!

Thanks Janice. I need to upgrade my camera and lenses for these wildflower shots. It's hard for me to get a lot of detail, or get nice close-upshots with my current camera. Not that that stops me from trying. :)

Love it!! That's 5000' vertical, kind of a day! I did both of these in a day once but it was from the BCC side, so not nearly so difficult.

I also saw the news of the death up there recently, very scary!

I summited Gobblers from the BCC side a few years back, but all my other Raymond or Gobbler hikes have been from the Millcreek side - Bowman Fork or Alexander Basin. I have summited Raymond from Wildcat Ridge once too.

one of my kids was hiking in LCC and ran into a group who had seen a black bear in either Red Pine or White PIne. I'm super bummed to never have seen one. I often wonder how many bears are in the Wasatch overall, like half a dozen maybe??

one of my kids was hiking in LCC and ran into a group who had seen a black bear in either Red Pine or White PIne. I'm super bummed to never have seen one. I often wonder how many bears are in the Wasatch overall, like half a dozen maybe??

Good question. I know of at least two times that they have caught a black bear on the security camera at the gate at City Creek. There was also one time when I was hiking up the Burch Hollow Trail and I ran into a guy hiking down that told me on his previous hike up Burch Hollow he saw a black bear across the drainage moving across the slope.

The two piles of scat that I saw on Millcreek Ridge were the first signs of bear that I have ever seen in Utah.