Moqui Madness

Nick

-
A few weeks ago I would have laughed my ass off if you'd told me I'd be backpacking over Memorial Weekend this year. But with all the allergy drama over my knee replacement largely figured out, my recovery has sailed right along. Still too weak for a huge trip, but good for something shorter.

The weather forecast was dismal though. Week after week of extremely stormy weather, so much so as to actually cause flooding, like this and this in the preceding weeks. Something like Death Hollow (our original plan from over the winter) was out of the question, not only because of my knee but the weather. Even if it didn't flash, that would be pretty miserable to walk in 50-60 degree temps with rain drizzling down all day.

So instead we set out to a relatively unexplored area of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. I'm deliberately leaving the location vague, to keep it that way, but some of the landmarks are pretty easy to figure out if you're so inclined. The cool thing about our chosen route was that we would have no rivers or springs to draw from, instead we would rely on the rainwater to fill the tinajas.

Just as Nate showed up at my place to leave, a huge thunderstorm hit. Big enough that we were totally wondering what the hell we were thinking. We made a last minute stop at Dick's to pickup an easy-up type canopy. Backpacking was still the plan, but worst case we could sit under that and drink for the next 3 days and probably still have a pretty good time!

We picked up @slc_dan on the way out of town and made it to camp just before sunset and met up with @NateGeesaman who was just going to camp that night and hike a little with us the next day. A little disturbance blew through right at sunset, but then it turned out to be a nice night around the campfire. I didn't even bother setting up a tent, instead I just threw out a pad in the back of my truck like I usually do. Sometime in the middle of the night I felt rain on my face. I reached up and pulled the tonneau down. An hour later I realized my pad was still sticking out onto the tailgate and water was leaking into my bed. I folded it over and went into a slight fetal position and managed to stay mostly dry as the rain poured through the rest of the night and into the morning. It was kind of cool to still be out in it but protected enough to sleep.

We had a little break in the morning while we ate breakfast and packed our bags, but then right as we got to the trailhead, another wave of rain came. We waited it out for 10 minutes before saying screw it and heading off into the rain.

BCP was well represented at this trailhead.
moqui-madness-1.jpg

Out came the rain coats, pack covers and ponchos. Walking through the sand was much easier and the drama all around was captivating. moqui-madness-5.jpg

There were a few moqui marbles here and there.
moqui-madness-7.jpg

We didn't know a lot about our route. We knew there was sort of a way down somewhere around here, but that was about it.
moqui-madness-8.jpg moqui-madness-9.jpg

A wrong turn led us through a precarious section.
moqui-madness-11.jpg

The rain wasn't really coming down hard, just a light drizzle that kept the rocks soaked and the footing a bit on the slippery side. I loved the way everything looked wet.
moqui-madness-13.jpg

We finally found the way down marked by a few cairns, the only cairns or trail of any kind we'd see until near the end of the hike 3 days later. The climb down was really tough for me. It was very steep, very loose, and very wet. If there's one thing my new knee still can't do, it's downhill. It took every bit of me to get down without taking a header. Oh, and the rain picked up here as well.
moqui-madness-14.jpg

My place on this trip was almost always at the back of the group. I'm still moving slow, but more importantly, it made it so the more agile fellas in the group could scout ahead and warn me when it was a dead end or bad way to go. Very helpful to a guy with a bad knee. Thanks, guys. I was pleased to reach the bottom of the trail and find them all huddled up in this nice, dry alcove. We took a break and watched the rain come down.
moqui-madness-18.jpg

The area just outside the alcove was like a flower garden. Everything blooming and just loving all the water they've gotten this month.
moqui-madness-17.jpg

Nate G. had to turn around at that point to go to work at Hells Backbone Grill while the rest of us snacked and waited for the rain to lighten up a bit. And soon enough it did and we were walking down the canyon. But of course within 5 minutes it started raining even harder. Small waterfalls started to appear and the usually dry wash started to catch their flow.
moqui-madness-20.jpg

And it rained and it rained. Never very hard but enough to soak everything. Little overhangs like this were nice when we found them.
moqui-madness-22.jpg moqui-madness-23.jpg

Soon enough the entire wash bottom had gone from dry to flowing. We were hoping for a nice, big alcove to hide in but it wasn't happening. But this looked promising and there was a huge waterfall coming down right on top of it.
moqui-madness-25.jpg moqui-madness-26.jpg

Here's a little video I shot with my phone as we headed up into the alcove.

The waterfall near our break spot was coming down right on top of this poor tree. Limbs were broken on the ground nearby.
moqui-madness-28.jpg

The alcove wasn't big enough for more than a break, but for that it worked well. They're a little hard to see, but you can see at least 4 nice waterfalls on the opposite canyon wall.
moqui-madness-30.jpg

Sage doesn't like being cold and wet.
moqui-madness-31.jpg moqui-madness-32.jpg

Soon the rain lightened up and the waterfalls slowed. We put on our gear and set out and once again, the rain started up again. The main canyon drops into this slot but there was no way I was going in there with this weather. We found a nice bypass on the left LDC.
moqui-madness-34.jpg

Nearing where this canyon meets the river. I'm not sure if there is a way down here or not, but at this point we changed course and worked our way through a pass that we weren't sure would go.
moqui-madness-37.jpg

Rain slowed here and there but it never stopped. Happy flowers.
moqui-madness-39.jpg moqui-madness-40.jpg

So many moqui marbles! Watch your step on these, sometimes they act like ball bearings.
moqui-madness-41.jpg

The pass ended up going and we ended up right where we had hoped for camp 1. Right on the rim of the mighty Escalante. The rain finally stopped just after dark. The next morning I was so stoked to see the sun rising out the window of my tent.
moqui-madness-44.jpg

A surprisingly awesome day given the poor forecast. Getting packs ready at our kitchen rock in camp.
moqui-madness-45.jpg

The view of the Escalante from camp.
moqui-madness-46.jpg

We didn't have a long day ahead of us so it was nearly noon before we were on the trail. We did have quite a bit of uncertainty though. There was a big canyon dividing us from where we wanted to go and we weren't sure if we would be able to find a way.
moqui-madness-47.jpg

But luckily, Dan found a very old cattle trail with chipped steps cut right down into this slot, and then out the other side.
moqui-madness-50.jpg

The cattle trail clearly hadn't been used in decades. There was not even a thread of cow shit to be found anywhere in this area. No cairns. No sign of anyone for a long, long time.
moqui-madness-51.jpg

Looking back toward camp from the rim of the canyon with the cattle trail through it.
moqui-madness-52.jpg

Next up, head for that notch. Again, we weren't sure if we could actually get through it, but that was a great part of the fun on this trip.
moqui-madness-54.jpg

The only cow evidence in this area was this very old skull under a tree.
moqui-madness-55.jpg

Heading up to the notch with millions of moquis underfoot.
moqui-madness-57.jpg

This one was still full of rainwater.
moqui-madness-58.jpg

Taking in the view from the notch.
moqui-madness-59.jpg

And what a fine view it was. The aquarius plateau was taking the storms today. You can see our campsite in the photo as well. The sandy area in the center of the photo just to the left of the overhang and shaded cliff face.
moqui-madness-60.jpg

Into the notch. We had a different name for it on the trail, but I'm keeping this family-friendly. ;)
moqui-madness-61.jpg

The inside of the notch was pretty cool.
moqui-madness-63.jpg

Coming out the other side we found a huge varnished wall and an impassable dryfall. Dan got up on the bench to the right and scouted for a way around it.
moqui-madness-64.jpg moqui-madness-65.jpg

This is where we got down around the dryfall. Easy. Our navigational uncertainty for the trip is now basically over.
moqui-madness-66.jpg

So many fresh puddles made life easy, especially for the dogs.
moqui-madness-67.jpg

Big pools were plentiful
moqui-madness-69.jpg

It was getting hot now and that water was looking nice. Time to stop.
moqui-madness-71.jpg

Should have checked depth. It was only waist deep!
moqui-madness-72.jpg

Crazy tadpole frenzy at the edge of the pool. They were big ones too. Video below.
moqui-madness-70.jpg

Sage and Mya loved fetching sticks out of the pool.
moqui-madness-75.jpg

Eventually we decided to just camp there at the pool. We though about moving for a bit but then a storm finally came. We quickly setup tents as the wind swept through and dark thunderstorms moved over the top of us. Crazy mixed light as the storms swirled in.
moqui-madness-76.jpg

Sage gets serious when the storms come. No more fetch addiction, crawl into those rocks!
moqui-madness-77.jpg

The storm threatened all evening. We got a few raindrops and a good amount of lightning nearby, but overall we were spared. We were able to stay outside through all of it and on into the night.
moqui-madness-79.jpg

The next day was a big one. We would continue up this canyon and then on to a unique feature that goes by many names. I'm going with Cosmic Navel.
moqui-madness-80.jpg

It was a few miles overland to the navel, just winding our way through domes and dunes. There it is on the horizon.
moqui-madness-84.jpg

Approaching the navel after a steep climb up it's flank.
moqui-madness-86.jpg

How's this for scale. Mya is in the foreground staring across at her human, @slc_dan on the opposite rim. See him?
moqui-madness-88.jpg

Crazy cool colors and textures in there.
moqui-madness-89.jpg

Dan went into the navel via some moqui steps and tried his best to climb to the top of the dome inside. he wasn't able to tackle it, but we were happy to sit and take in the scene while he tried.
moqui-madness-91.jpg

Heading back to the trailhead was at least 5 or 6 miles of route finding. First in and around some really big domes like this.
moqui-madness-92.jpg

And eventually out into the desert where it became more tedious crossing soft sand dunes over and over. It was a bit more than my body was ready for that day. Maybe like 3 miles less and it would have been perfect. Or if we'd just hiked closer to the navel the previous day, that would have been great. A storm moved in on us and cooled things down, which was actually nice. By mid afternoon we were back at the truck enjoying a victory drink before the drive back to Slick City. An awesome trip with some awesome folks. They could have run circles around me the whole time, but they took it slow and it was just the kind of trip I needed to get the pack back on and get out there.
moqui-madness-94.jpg

I had to cut a ton of photos to get this down to a reasonable size. If you want to see all 95, check out the full album here: https://goo.gl/photos/hWMoA9yB4ZTgE8XK8

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice report and great pictures. You guys are so lucky that when it rains out there interesting stuff happens. When it rains out here you just get cold and wet. So what is inside of that navel? Couldn't tell if it was water or sand.

Great times! Watching the storms made this route even better.

I had plans to go down to Grand Staircase-Escalante that weekend, but I canceled them due to the rain. This makes me wish that I had gone anyway!

Nice report and great pictures. You guys are so lucky that when it rains out there interesting stuff happens. When it rains out here you just get cold and wet. So what is inside of that navel? Couldn't tell if it was water or sand.

Honestly, this is the first time I've intentionally sought out the desert in such a forecast. I don't regret it a bit and I hope to do it much more, but I think most everyone here does the same thing when the weather looks like crap. They stay home.

The inside of the navel is a deep orange sand. No water. It's a little strange how vibrant that sand is compared to the rest of the sandstone in the area. It's a very cool feature.

I have some pics where the sand in the navel looks like melted chocolate! Such a cool spot.

Great pics. I was in the Capitol Reef area with my family the same weekend and pics came out way better than they would have under blue skies.

I love this whole trip. That area of the featured image just blows me away...beautiful...

Such a cool area -- I would love to get back in there and explore some more. Good to know there are more route possibilities.

The rain definitely adds to the drama of the landscape.

BTW -- that notch is impressive. I used to think it was the "V" which gives the region to the east its name. But, I later learned that that's not correct. Unfortunately, I can't remember where the reference does come from now.

Great TR. Did you get to use the EZ-UP? I bought a commercial grade EZ-UP over ten years ago for my business. These days it comes in handy for my thunderstorm trips in the summer.

A few years I hurt my ankle doing the Moqui Marble Mambo. I'm too old for that stuff.

The monsoon is approaching. Getting excited.

Great TR. Did you get to use the EZ-UP? I bought a commercial grade EZ-UP over ten years ago for my business. These days it comes in handy for my thunderstorm trips in the summer.

A few years I hurt my ankle doing the Moqui Marble Mambo. I'm too old for that stuff.

The monsoon is approaching. Getting excited.

Never got it out, although it would have been perfect to cover the back of my truck when I was sleeping in the rain that first night. I just bought a cheap one that was on sale for $50 (reg $100). I don't have a lot of faith in it, we'll see how it goes. I'm going to take it out on the boat and use it to cover our kitchen on the beach and see if it's worth packing. Also very excited about the monsoon!

I joked around about doing the Moqui Marble Mambo early in the hike. It was a real surprise when it actually happened! Luckily I avoided rolling my ankle once on this entire hike. I was very proud of myself after the ankle-hating granite cobble I picked through in March.

Never got it out, although it would have been perfect to cover the back of my truck when I was sleeping in the rain that first night. I just bought a cheap one that was on sale for $50 (reg $100). I don't have a lot of faith in it, we'll see how it goes. I'm going to take it out on the boat and use it to cover our kitchen on the beach and see if it's worth packing. Also very excited about the monsoon!

I joked around about doing the Moqui Marble Mambo early in the hike. It was a real surprise when it actually happened! Luckily I avoided rolling my ankle once on this entire hike. I was very proud of myself after the ankle-hating granite cobble I picked through in March.

Best to take it down when you expect severe wind. One powerful wind shear ripped the top out of a water bottle and then it dragged two bottles and that cooler across the ground. That bush saved $800 from going over the cliff.Microburst1.JPG

Attachments

• Microburst2.JPG
    Microburst2.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 16
That's a really cool report and wonderful pictures of a marvellous area, Nick. :)
I love these maze-like area.
Good to know, an easier route downwards in the Spencer exists. We took "The Dark Slot", the next slot in the north of your route. This route was a lot of work and pain in the ass w/ our heavy backpacks but challenging, exciting and a lot of fun.