Trachyte + Maidenwater

Nick

-
Sometimes you just have to have something on the calendar to look forward to. On December 3, 2014, I sent Dan an email proposing a backpacking trip the first weekend in March. We'd done it the previous year on the same weekend and had a blast, but what made me want it so bad this time was the total knee replacement I'd undergone a few weeks earlier. The doctor's promises of "you'll walk the same day" juxtaposed with the realities of copious heavy narcotics and weeks on the couch were hitting me like a ton of bricks. It was hard to imagine doing much walking any time soon, let alone for miles with a backpack on, but something to plan for in 4 months seemed like a good goal.

Dan responded enthusiastically, "Start riding that bike! Good luck on recovery" and then the months slunk by. Recovery was tougher than I'd ever imagined. With about two weeks to spare, I was feeling pretty nervous about the idea. I was limping hard - so bad that I was getting all sorts of "what the hell is wrong with you?" kind of questions from colleagues at a large physical therapy company I do web work for. They knew what I went through and they knew I should be doing better. Add to that various other medical issues that plagued me since my surgery and I was really getting frustrated. I decided to try eliminating some things in my diet to try and reduce inflammation. I already eat pretty a pretty strict diet, so the first thing to go was dairy. Like a miracle, within 36 hours I went from barely being able to walk across the room to being able to do a little sprint across the yard. It's like all the inflammation just vanished overnight. YES! Backpack ON!

The plan shortly before the trip was to go down to Escalante and do a repeat of Fiftymile Creek. But Monday of that week Escalante got 11 inches of snow, making our chances of driving all the way down hole in the rock road slim to none. So we went back to original plan; Trachyte Creek.

Here's a map of the route we did. It turned out to be close to 14 miles of walking which seemed like a good target for my first trip, but I totally forgot the kind of terrain out here. It felt a lot longer.

@slc_dan and @NateGeesaman starting down the seldom-travelled North Fork of Trachyte Creek.
trachyte-creek-2015-1.jpg

It started out slow in a shallow wash, before arriving at this big dryfall. We bypassed on the distant slope center right.
trachyte-creek-2015-2.jpg

Below the dryfall the canyon takes a few more turns before a shallow slot begins to emerge. The recent storms had sent plenty of muddy water down into it creating plenty of waist deep pools. We did our best to avoid them.
trachyte-creek-2015-3.jpg

Nate working his way over one of the deeper ones.
trachyte-creek-2015-4.jpg
The slot is shallow but pretty. Good walking.
trachyte-creek-2015-5.jpg

A little deeper and some nice reflected light.
trachyte-creek-2015-6.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-7.jpg

As if the water wasn't cold enough to wade through, now it was frozen.
trachyte-creek-2015-8.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-9.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-10.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-11.jpg

After a few hours we arrived at the confluence with Trachyte Creek. The next order of business was to locate a suitable campsite for the night.
trachyte-creek-2015-12.jpg

No leaves on the cottonwoods yet.
trachyte-creek-2015-14.jpg

But they were close...
trachyte-creek-2015-17.jpg

We chose a nice slickrock campsite with a view down into the canyon. The only trick was avoiding the giant pothole on the left of the photo. It was a good 10+ feet deep and would have been extremely difficult (if not impossible) to get out of.
trachyte-creek-2015-15.jpg

Last light above Trachyte.
trachyte-creek-2015-16.jpg

The next day we continued down canyon, hopping through miles of granite boulders that wash down from the Henry Mountains. In retrospect, this probably was not the best hike to break-in the new knee. Not the easiest walking.
trachyte-creek-2015-18.jpg

The canyon gets wide and not too spectacular in the upper reaches, but soon the wingate walls start to grow.
trachyte-creek-2015-19.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-20.jpg

We tried exploring this side canyon but the brush was too thick. It seems beavers enjoy the area.
trachyte-creek-2015-21.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-22.jpg

Further down we noticed five huge cairns leading out the right side of the canyon. We hiked up and poked around but found nothing.
trachyte-creek-2015-23.jpg

Happy canyon.
trachyte-creek-2015-24.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-25.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-26.jpg

More beaver activity below a dryfall from a side canyon. Those sticks looked super fresh.
trachyte-creek-2015-27.jpg

Poking around on the benches. trachyte-creek-2015-28.jpg

I love wingate walls.
trachyte-creek-2015-29.jpg

Late in the day Dan & Nate went off to explore another side canyon and I decided to just sit. The mileage was wearing on me and my legs were feeling a bit wobbly.
trachyte-creek-2015-30.jpg

We decided to start looking for a campsite next. As we rounded a bend, I noticed some marks on a dark varnished wall. Upon closer inspection, it was loaded with cowboy glyphs and some genuine ancient petroglyphs.
trachyte-creek-2015-31.jpg

I couldn't get a very good shot of them, but these looked like a couple of little backpackers. Hopefully @NateGeesaman will share the better shot he got.
trachyte-creek-2015-32.jpg

There's a pretty large bighorn sheep petro out toward the edge with a half dozen bullet holes in and around it. Lots of really faint stuff all over the wall.
trachyte-creek-2015-33.jpg

I did some googling and learned that Frank Hatt was coming through here bringing mail from Hanksville to Hite. His name was on the wall at least 3 times.
trachyte-creek-2015-34.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-35.jpg

Notice the five figures in the background? Some of the similar figures were definitely legit, but these looked odd.
trachyte-creek-2015-36.jpg

The latest date on the wall from Richard Ekker in May 1947. Gathering cattle, apparently. The oldest on the wall was from 1893 but I later read there is an inscription from Joe Swasey from 1885 somewhere in Trachyte Creek.
trachyte-creek-2015-37.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-38.jpg

Looking down canyon from the wall. Time to find a campsite.
trachyte-creek-2015-39.jpg

We camped nearby that night at a nice sandy spot near a couple of large cottonwoods. The next day we loaded up for the final trek to Maidenwater Canyon then up to the highway.
trachyte-creek-2015-40.jpg

Not even a mile up Maidenwater, I was just walking along admiring the light dancing on the walls when I took a spill. I had no chance of catching myself so I went into 'save the camera' mode. I was successful, but when I rolled over to accept a hand from Nate, I realized my hand was not looking quite like it should.
trachyte-creek-2015-41.jpg

I'd lost close to an inch of length in my pinky and there appeared to be something very much sideways in there. A knick in the skin bled a bit at first but then stopped. I was pretty freaked out and loaded with adrenaline. I knew we had at least 2-3 hours of hiking left plus the nearest medical center was a good 3+ hours away. So I decided I'd try to reset the bone so we could maybe splint it. I grabbed the end of it and pulled as hard as I could. It definitely got longer, but it always snapped back to the mangled mess It had became. Without much else to do, I just started hustling the best I could. My legs were pretty toasted from the hike so far, but I actually felt strong as I rushed up the canyon. I encouraged the guys to linger and take photos as I'm sure they could still do that and out hike me in my current state.
trachyte-creek-2015-42.jpg

I even stopped for a few, although pulling the DSLR out of my chest pack was one of the most painful things I could do.
trachyte-creek-2015-43.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-44.jpg

There was a ton of wading in Maidenwater, as usual, but the deepest pool was gone. Now only ankle deep. There was still one more about thigh-waist deep right at the top of the water section though. It's a beautiful canyon, but looking back on this, it's much better to wait until it greens up. If you haven't already, check out the greener photos from my first trip through Maidenwater in 2012: http://backcountrypost.com/threads/maidenwater-canyon.735/
trachyte-creek-2015-45.jpg
The leaves were further along in Maidenwater than anywhere in Trachyte Creek. It was a nice sight to see.
trachyte-creek-2015-46.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-47.jpg trachyte-creek-2015-48.jpg

Nate and Mya in a very photogenic slot in the dry portion of the hike.
trachyte-creek-2015-49.jpg

And then things got ugly. The pain in my finger was lighting up like crazy and my legs were cooked. A nice break would have been the solution if I wasn't rushing home to seek medical care. The next part of the canyon had about a dozen or so small obstacles to climb over. None of it very difficult if you have two good legs and two good arms, but I had one totally useless arm, a stiff replaced knee on one leg and a freshly rolled ankle on the other. Lucky for me, Dan grabbed my pack at this point and carried it from here all the way to the car. It took some work but I worked my way through all the obstacles with only moderate amounts of screaming and cussing.
trachyte-creek-2015-50.jpg

And then the ~40-foot fourth class dryfall bypass. It's an easy climb, especially with a handline, but man it freaked me out this time with my lack of sufficient grip and agility.
trachyte-creek-2015-51.jpg

Above the dryfall we were on the home stretch. I was toast but I just kept going. Dan kept carrying my pack (thanks so much man). You can see him double packing it in this shot. I guess if there was ever a time to carry my pack, this was it. I'd gone pretty light on this trip. I think on this last day my total pack weight was somewhere around 13 pounds.
trachyte-creek-2015-52.jpg

It took us a little over 2 hours from where I messed up my pinky to get to the car. Instead of stopping in Price at the hospital, I decided to just head home to SLC so I could get better care and no one had to wait on me. I finally arrived at the ER around 7:30 that night. The doc looked at it and immediately assumed it was a compound fracture that had broken the skin at the spot it had been bleeding. High risk for infection which meant antibiotics and so on. Ugh...

But to make it a little better, we had friends working in the ER that night and it was slow, so it was almost like getting together for a drink or something. Except instead of a drink, I had some intravenous morphine! :)

Lucky for me, the x-ray showed that I hadn't actually broken a thing. My pinky was just dislocated. This can usually be fixed by manually popping it back in. After injecting a nerve block the doc came in and started wrenching on me. He was pulling and pushing so hard it damn near could have pulled me out of bed. He tried and tried and nothing. Shit. He tells me that most of the time this works, but sometimes a piece gets in the way and then they have to operate on it. He made some calls and came in and tried again and still nothing.

Meanwhile Audra is texting her friend who has some connections. They call in someone on-call over from Primary Childrens to take a look. Audra's friend says she is good and she asked her to take good care of us. By the time she arrives, my nerve block is starting to wear off, but I told her to just go for it. It hurt but not too bad yet. More yanking and bending and twisting ensues and still my pinky looks like the Michelin Man. They're starting to talk about not if but when they might be able to schedule an operating room for me. What the hell?!?

Finally she decides to bring in a portable video x-ray type machine. It was kind of neat, we could look on a screen and see her manipulating my bones in real time right there in the room. Not 30 seconds into it I felt a nice pop. Success!!! I was beyond thrilled. The last thing in the world I need right now is more time at the f~#+*ng hospital. Unfortunately, in all that wrenching they pretty well obliterated the supportive and connective tissue in there. My hand is all wrapped up and immobilized where it will stay for the next couple of weeks. Going into the doc for a follow up tomorrow. The rest of me is sore as hell (even reverted to crutches a few times today), but the knee did great and I'm sure I'll be feeling better than ever in a couple days. More backpacking and boat camping in the very near future. Happy spring. :)

The x-ray of my pinky:
IMG_1899.JPG

My wife's reaction to another trip ending at the ER:
upload_2015-3-9_23-12-5.png

Full photo album can be found here if anyone wants to see a little more:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1135...s/6124462409479762097?authkey=CKiAq46r15KygwE

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

We need a photo of the Michelin man pinky as it is now

We need a photo of the Michelin man pinky as it is now

There's not much to see. I took off the bandage earlier and it looked pretty bad. Bruised and swollen and still at least a half inch shorter than my good pinky. I thought it might have dislocated again but Audra didn't. I guess I'll know for sure at the doc tomorrow. I mean seriously, where did a half inch of my pinky go?!

IMG_1901.JPG

Oh, I forgot I had Audra take this one last night as we were heading to the hospital. Side by side with normal pinky. That's basically how it still looks but darker and more swollen. :thumbsdown:

AcouDF6FWvrgoAfi4MZ8m-OlqyNFQKyMwS0veIsgEJI=w1050-h850-no

Now you'll notice how often you bump your hand on stuff. And how to grab things without your pinky. I still swing a softball bat without my pinky because of when I dislocated mine 18 years ago. #battlescars

Suck. Is that out of habbit or because your pinky still doesn't work right? I just bought a new set of golf clubs and was going to start doing a bit more of that this year in between trips... :(

At first it was because I couldn't grip it at all. My pinky couldn't bend to grab very tight or make a fist.
Then it became a habit and I'm totally use to it now.

awesome Nick, glad to see you out. can't wait to see what happens to you on your next trip.

Pinky injury aside, it looks like that was an awesome hike. Those slot canyons are beautiful. Really jealous to see you guys wearing shorts in March. It's still freezing here. Good luck at the doc today.

Great report, especially the historical part.
A good recovery, Nick!

You've had quite the run of bad luck with medical issues lately, so I assume your next trip is overdue to go perfectly!

I dislocated a toe a few years ago. I closed my eyes, whimpered, then yanked it back into position. I can only imagine how painful it was have the doctors manipulate your finger so much. My toe still aches occasionally, particularly with certain kinds of weather.

I love Trachyte / Maidenwater area. It's seldom used and its a good 2-3 day hike. Nice TR.

You've had quite the run of bad luck with medical issues lately, so I assume your next trip is overdue to go perfectly!

That or I'm due for a helicopter ride! Haha!

I love Trachyte / Maidenwater area. It's seldom used and its a good 2-3 day hike. Nice TR.

It's a fun area. Too bad it's so cowed up, but I still like it a lot. I can't get enough of the granite littered throughout all the navajo and wingate.

Reactions: Ben
Except instead of a drink, I had some intravenous morphine! :)

Haha...that was best line of the whole TR. And the TR was great. I also loved Audra's comment and your response to Parma's question.

He's back! Well sort of...

Hard to believe a bionic knee can backpack that quick. Well done sir..

He's back! Well sort of...

Hard to believe a bionic knee can backpack that quick. Well done sir..

Oh, I'm back alright! :) The knee didn't hold me back much, if at all. The hardest part about this trip was just being out of shape from the long recovery. That and my reflexes seemed a little slow - my quad was basically dead for like 3 weeks after all, I couldn't even lift my leg for that long. While underway, I can already say that the bionic knee is an improvement on the old one. When I try to move after resting for a while, that's another story... (for now)

so they did the knee replacement where they cut out your old knee and put in a new artificial knee?

Painful. Glad it was only dislocated.