Mojave National Preserve

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

westy

I love autumn in the Mojave, warm days & chilly nights. And no more Mojave Greens to look out for ! So I headed into the MNP to camp and hike near the cinder cones, Club peak (NUB bm) area. Made it to a camp late afternoon and took off up Button Mountain, one of said cinder cone remnants, and took in the views for a bit before going down to dine and tuck in for the increasingly longer nights.

Next morning it was early up to ooh and ahh over the sunrise and a nice cloud formation over Club.

_MG_7518.jpg

After some food, and packing food and water for the day, I headed off along an old road thru the Joshua tree forest, getting nice changing views of Club and cinder cones along the way.

_MG_7524.jpg

_MG_7528.jpg

_MG_7530.jpg

_MG_7533.jpg

The old road made a great route, curving thru the J-tree forest as it headed towards the steep west faces by way of the gentle east slopes. First stop was up 1378-T

_MG_7549.jpg

_MG_7550.jpg

_MG_7556.jpg

Then 1467 T.

_MG_7558.jpg

_MG_7559.jpg

_MG_7568.jpg

And then 1441 T

_MG_7575.jpg

_MG_7584.jpg

And then up Club peak (NUB bm).

_MG_7587b.jpg

_MG_7591.jpg

_MG_7596.jpg

_MG_7606.jpg

It must have been much windier to the SW, there was a huge sandstorm filling a valley yonder way.

_MG_7600.jpg

Then back down to the truck along a wash where there was a small panel of squiggly petroglyphs, only a 15 minute walk or so from the main road.

_MG_7624.jpg

Another great day playing outside!

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Jackson

I like to go outside.
Those sunrise shots with the Joshua trees are great. What an amazing looking area. I love seeing your trip reports from there.

Glasterpiece

It's a magic place. I spent a week there last October. Planned to do it again this year but it didn't happen.
Not sure I understand your number system... xxx T. Is that common knowledge?
Great pics. Especially that black cinder pile.

Reef&Ruins

I've been thinking about visiting there. Thanks for the TR and the inspiration!

westy

It's a magic place. I spent a week there last October. Planned to do it again this year but it didn't happen.
Not sure I understand your number system... xxx T. Is that common knowledge?
Great pics. Especially that black cinder pile.
I just used the designation for the unnamed ("UN") high point that are on the topos. I forget what the "T" is for in usgs maps. Feel like I knew at one time, but can;t remember now. And unable to find any remotely useful info online regarding that designation. Ima keep searching though, I'm curious again.

Udink

Keep going.
I think the "T" elevations usually show up only on provisional maps.

"T-ELEVATION – A photogrammetrically determined elevation, shown on map manuscripts. The elevation figure is followed by the letter 'T,' as 1057T, to indicate that the elevation is unchecked."

Miya

Because I am able.
That cloud formation is so spectacular! I probably would have taken a couple 100 photos of just that LOL

Thanks for the share! I was planning another desert attempt this winter and am torn between Mojave or Death Valley.

westy

I was planning another desert attempt this winter and am torn between Mojave or Death Valley.
Can't go wrong either way. Have fun !