Mallard Lake and DeLacy Lakes, Yellowstone National Park - June 30,2017

scatman

In preparation for a hike with my son in the Sierras, I headed out with my daughter and a friend to Yellowstone for four days with the intent on camping at Mallard Lake with day hikes to DeLacy Lakes and other unnamed ponds in the area.

I've been meaning to get to DeLacy Lakes for three years now, but thing have always come up that kept me from reaching it, so this trip was planned specifically to reach the lakes.

The hike in to Mallard Lake, at 3.5 miles, is relatively easy though it is uphill for most of the way. The trail makes its way through old burn for the most part, though the new trees are starting to get some height after 30 years. Once at the lake, we pitched our tents at campsite OB3 on the east side of the lake.

Mallard_Lake_01.jpg

Route to Mallard Lake - roughly 3.7 miles to campsite 0B3

02.jpg

Obligatory trailhead shot

03.jpg

Katie runs into a Bison early on

04.jpg

The Firehole River

06.jpg

Typical trail walking to Mallard Lake - I can remember when these trees were knee high

07.jpg

More of what the terrain looks like on the way to the lake - looking down on unnamed stream

16.jpg

Marmot along the way

17.jpg

Chipmunk too

20.jpg

Mallard Lake in the late afternoon

21.jpg

Sunset on the Lake the first night

The second day we day hiked off-trail (about 4 miles one way) past a few unnamed ponds to DeLacy Lakes. When we arrived at the lakes, we were entertained by an otter who caught two fish and ate them at the end of a downed log in the lake, while we ate our lunches.

Mallard_Lake_02.jpg

Map of our day hike to DeLacy Lakes

22.jpg

Hard to do a hike without a couple of superheroes :)

23.jpg

Pond #1

24.jpg

Little bit of open space along the drainage - who is the ugly guy in the middle of this shot?

25.jpg

More of the open area, with a touch of snow ahead

26.jpg

Pond #2

27.jpg

Pond #3 - this pond was larger/longer than the first two.

30.jpg

DeLacy Lakes (western portion)

28.jpg

Otter that entertained us while we ate lunch.

29.jpg

Another shot of the otter

36.jpg

Another shot of DeLacy Lakes (western lake)

35.jpg

Katie at DeLacy Lakes

37.jpg

Bearpole back at camp

On day 3, we hiked to an unnamed pond that is located northeast of Old Faithful. Our route began on the Mallard Creek Trail but soon turned into an off-trail adventure to the pond.

Mallard_Lake_03.jpg

Map of our route to unnamed pond on day 3

40.jpg

Hiking along the Mallard Creek Trail

40b.jpg

Unnamed pond northeast of Old Faithful - lots of elk prints in the mud along the shore of the pond

41.jpg

Lunch at the pond - rumor has it that that might be @McGimpkins at the end of the log

42.jpg

Balancing act required for making it to this pond - Katie on her way back to camp

43.jpg

Katie at Mallard Lake - apparently didn't get enough of the matchsticks going to and from the pond.

44.jpg

Mosquito Heaven!

45.jpg

Sunset on day 3 at Mallard Lake.

Day four consisted of us hiking back to out vehicle at the Trailhead and heading home.

Ugly

Life really is better Here
That second to last one makes mosquito bites from last week itch... some that I did not even know I had...
Thanks for sharing such a great trip.

Tim Valentine

Envious of your otter siting. So cool to be able to watch them forage in front of you. Thanks for the report!

scatman

That second to last one makes mosquito bites from last week itch... some that I did not even know I had...
Thanks for sharing such a great trip.

Sorry about the mosquitoes!

scatman

Envious of your otter siting. So cool to be able to watch them forage in front of you. Thanks for the report!

I can relate @Tim Valentine , It was pretty amazing (lucky) that he was there when we emerged from the trees next to the lake. If we had reached the lake at any other point, we probably wouldn't have noticed it. I saw two otters fifteen years ago when I was canoeing on Yellowstone Lake. They carried on just off the shore as we let the canoe just drift by them. I would be glad to trade one otter sighting for a mountain lion or wolverine sighting. :)