Mallard Lake and DeLacy Lakes, Yellowstone National Park - June 30,2017

scatman

In preparation for a hike with my son in the Sierras, I headed out with my daughter and a friend to Yellowstone for four days with the intent on camping at Mallard Lake with day hikes to DeLacy Lakes and other unnamed ponds in the area.

I've been meaning to get to DeLacy Lakes for three years now, but thing have always come up that kept me from reaching it, so this trip was planned specifically to reach the lakes.

The hike in to Mallard Lake, at 3.5 miles, is relatively easy though it is uphill for most of the way. The trail makes its way through old burn for the most part, though the new trees are starting to get some height after 30 years. Once at the lake, we pitched our tents at campsite OB3 on the east side of the lake.

Mallard_Lake_01.jpg
Route to Mallard Lake - roughly 3.7 miles to campsite 0B3

02.jpg
Obligatory trailhead shot

03.jpg
Katie runs into a Bison early on

04.jpg
The Firehole River

06.jpg
Typical trail walking to Mallard Lake - I can remember when these trees were knee high

07.jpg
More of what the terrain looks like on the way to the lake - looking down on unnamed stream

16.jpg
Marmot along the way

17.jpg
Chipmunk too

20.jpg
Mallard Lake in the late afternoon

21.jpg
Sunset on the Lake the first night

The second day we day hiked off-trail (about 4 miles one way) past a few unnamed ponds to DeLacy Lakes. When we arrived at the lakes, we were entertained by an otter who caught two fish and ate them at the end of a downed log in the lake, while we ate our lunches.

Mallard_Lake_02.jpg
Map of our day hike to DeLacy Lakes

22.jpg
Hard to do a hike without a couple of superheroes :)

23.jpg
Pond #1

24.jpg
Little bit of open space along the drainage - who is the ugly guy in the middle of this shot?

25.jpg
More of the open area, with a touch of snow ahead

26.jpg
Pond #2

27.jpg
Pond #3 - this pond was larger/longer than the first two.

30.jpg
DeLacy Lakes (western portion)

28.jpg
Otter that entertained us while we ate lunch.

29.jpg
Another shot of the otter

36.jpg
Another shot of DeLacy Lakes (western lake)

35.jpg
Katie at DeLacy Lakes

37.jpg
Bearpole back at camp

On day 3, we hiked to an unnamed pond that is located northeast of Old Faithful. Our route began on the Mallard Creek Trail but soon turned into an off-trail adventure to the pond.

Mallard_Lake_03.jpg
Map of our route to unnamed pond on day 3

40.jpg
Hiking along the Mallard Creek Trail

40b.jpg
Unnamed pond northeast of Old Faithful - lots of elk prints in the mud along the shore of the pond

41.jpg
Lunch at the pond - rumor has it that that might be @McGimpkins at the end of the log

42.jpg
Balancing act required for making it to this pond - Katie on her way back to camp

43.jpg
Katie at Mallard Lake - apparently didn't get enough of the matchsticks going to and from the pond.

44.jpg
Mosquito Heaven!

45.jpg
Sunset on day 3 at Mallard Lake.

Day four consisted of us hiking back to out vehicle at the Trailhead and heading home.

That second to last one makes mosquito bites from last week itch... some that I did not even know I had...
Thanks for sharing such a great trip.

44-jpg.56312

Mosquito Heaven!

I don't think heaven is the right word for this...

Envious of your otter siting. So cool to be able to watch them forage in front of you. Thanks for the report!

That second to last one makes mosquito bites from last week itch... some that I did not even know I had...
Thanks for sharing such a great trip.

Sorry about the mosquitoes!

Envious of your otter siting. So cool to be able to watch them forage in front of you. Thanks for the report!

I can relate @Tim Valentine , It was pretty amazing (lucky) that he was there when we emerged from the trees next to the lake. If we had reached the lake at any other point, we probably wouldn't have noticed it. I saw two otters fifteen years ago when I was canoeing on Yellowstone Lake. They carried on just off the shore as we let the canoe just drift by them. I would be glad to trade one otter sighting for a mountain lion or wolverine sighting. :)