Little Mountain - January 21, 2023

scatman

12 degrees at the Little Mountain Trailhead at 10:00 am this morning, as my wife and I hiked to Little Mountain for our weekend exercise. While it was cold, it was sunny for the first half of our hike which made things quite pleasant on the way up. Once we got to the top, the clouds that had been heading up Emigration Canyon, finally caught up to us, and brought with them wind and spitting snow. I got chilled pretty fast on top with no sun, so we beat a hasty retreat back to the trailhead. It was probably a funny sight watching me, with my sore shins, trying to to anything fast that involves my legs. :)

Also on this trip, we took three cameras with us:

1. A 2002 Canon PowerShot S200 Digital ELPH, with a hefty 2 megapixels. No house should be without one. :)
2. A 2017 Canon PowerShot SX730 HS, weighing in at 20.3 MP, which I got for a steal off of eBay last year
3. My new used Canon EOS 5D Mark II. This is a full frame sensor and has 21.1 MP

Can you figure out which pictures in my report belong to which camera, particularly the point-and- shoots? I've numbered my images and the breakdown is as follows:
1. S200 - 6 images in my report
2. SX730 - 11 images in my report
3. 5D Mark II - 29 images

You may have to put on yout thinking cap for this one @Rockskipper. :D

25.jpg
1. 12 degrees at the top of Emigration

26.jpg
2. First little hill across the road from the trailhead

27.jpg
3. Dale Peak on Parley's Ridge, located slightly southwest from our vantage point

28.jpg
4. Grandeur Peak, located across Parley's Canyon and to our southwest

29.jpg
5. A look down into Emigration Canyon

30.jpg
6. Taking a shot down into Emigation

31.jpg
7. Some interesting ice crystals on the plants along our route

32.jpg
8. The trees look cold. :)

33.jpg
9. Little Mountain is just right of center in the image

34.jpg
10. Sheila, making her way along the ridge, with Dale and Grandeur Peaks in the distance

35.jpg
11. The sagebrush is hanging on

36.jpg
12. Moose track

37.jpg
13. Another look down Emigration

38.jpg
14. Clouds cover up Lookout Peak to the north

39.jpg
15. Now how did she get so far ahead of me? :)

40.jpg
16. Clouds forming in the canyon

41.jpg
17. Little Mountain ahead.

42.jpg
18. I need a drink

43.jpg
19. Oak leaves and snow

44.jpg
20. Oak leaves and snow again. :thinking:

45.jpg
21. Another shot of Grandeur

46.jpg
22. View towards Mount Aire across Parley's Canyon

47.jpg
23. Scatman down! :eek: Damn postholing! :D

48.jpg
24. Winding our way through some scrub oak

49.jpg
25. Once around the hill on the left, we can start making our way up Little Mountain
proper.

50.jpg
26. This looks vaguely familiar. :) Like I said, just get around the hill

51.jpg
27. Looks like some folks were shredding on Little Mountain

52.jpg

53.jpg
29. Some varmint tracks doing some kind of serpentine pattern

54.jpg
30. Old man Scat lumbering up Little Mountain

55.jpg
31. Young lady Sheila surrounded by the Wasatch, and beginning her climb up Little Mountain

56.jpg
32. Almost there! :thumbsup:

57.jpg
33. A split boarder making his way up the ridgeline

58.jpg
34. Sheila, still working on the hill

59.jpg
35. Little Dell Reservoir below.

60.jpg
36. Summit shot courtesy of the split boarder.

61.jpg
37. Some drifting up top

62.jpg
38. Fun with the fisheye

63.jpg
39. More fun with the fisheye, but I'm starting to get cold and my fingers are numb

64.jpg
40. Rabbit tracks on our way back down

65.jpg
41. Snowing on us now

66.jpg
42. Love the brown against the white background

67.jpg
43. I think Sheila is getting cold too

68.jpg
44. Back at the Sube, with a balmy 22 degrees. :cold:

69.jpg
45. I neglected to take this at the beginning of our hike.

70.jpg
46. And of course the fire danger is high this time of year. :)

I don't know how @TractorDoc is going to carry in all of my cameras for me on our trip this coming August? He may have to use the counterbalance method. :D

And I couldn't leave out the after hike meal for tonight - pizza with beer.

These shots were taken with a Canon PowerShot SD700 IS. :)
IMG_0304.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG

I'm thinking all the pictures were taken with your new cell phone. :)

My favorite is the path thru the scrub oak. Oh, and of course the one of you laying on the ground.

I approve of the pizza/beer combo for supper. That is my go-to three or four days in a normal week.

I see some button batteries on your counter. . . are all those pills for your shins? On second thought, don't answer that. I don't want to break any hippo laws. Is that the National Inquirer barely visible to the right? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Lol.... Mega pixels are overrated ... Unless you are making enlargements .. even then after so many megapixels are not needed

Lol.... Mega pixels are overrated ... Unless you are making enlargements .. even then after so many megapixels are not needed
I think my new trail name for Hugh is going to be "Paparazzi" because he has so many cameras.

I'm just as guilty. . . but sadly a slew of less flattering trail names are more appropriate for me.

I will not even try to figure out which camera took what photos … way over my paltry pay grade.

Why don’t you use snowshoes? (side note: if the snow depth is 8 inches or more in the Adirondack High Peaks region, snowshoes are required by law.)

Interesting pizza.

Perhaps @TractorDoc will need to use a llama to carry all of the camera gear you two are bringing.

I'm thinking all the pictures were taken with your new cell phone. :)

My favorite is the path thru the scrub oak. Oh, and of course the one of you laying on the ground.

I approve of the pizza/beer combo for supper. That is my go-to three or four days in a normal week.

I see some button batteries on your counter. . . are all those pills for your shins? On second thought, don't answer that. I don't want to break any hippo laws. Is that the National Inquirer barely visible to the right? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

None of those pills are for my shins. :) They are to keep me alive until our trip in August. Assuming of course that @Bob doesn't kill me in June. :D

Last edited:

I need to wallpaper my house Bob. I'll need at least a 50 MP camera! Medium format here I come. :) Just think of the Wyoming Range taken with a medium format. We could be famous! :D

I will not even try to figure out which camera took what photos … way over my paltry pay grade.

Why don’t you use snowshoes? (side note: if the snow depth is 8 inches or more in the Adirondack High Peaks region, snowshoes are required by law.)

Interesting pizza.

Perhaps @TractorDoc will need to use a llama to carry all of the camera gear you two are bringing.

I didn't think I'd need snowshoes on this one. It wasn't too bad, only five or six good postholes on the way to the top. My problem is that I'm too heavy. After about halfway along the trail only people who used snowshoes went to the top. They hadn't packed down the snow enough for this tub of lard. :)

It's a vegetarian pizza. I added a lot more vegetables to my side. My wife and I trade off weeks on what pizza to get on a Saturday night. Tonight was her turn.

I think @TractorDoc will excel at the counter balance method. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I need to wallpaper my house Bob. I'll need at least a 50 MP camera! Medium format here I come. :) Just think of the Wyoming Range taken with a medium format. We could be famous! :D
I like lightweight pack contents.... or you bringing a mule?

I think @TractorDoc will excel at the counter balance method. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
What is this counter balance method you speak of?

Once the Circus Peanuts start fermenting I get a bit wobbly on the trail.

Will the counter have the kitchen sink installed? Might as well pack one of those in too.

How much does it cost to rent a Llama? :thinking:

Once the Circus Peanuts start fermenting I get a bit wobbly on the trail.

go big

Hey, I've got a story for you. Way back when, when I was still a strapping young lad, I hauled a 4X5 film camera all the way across the Madison Plateau in Yellowstone. We were following the old stagecoach road across the plateau from Fountain Flats over to nearly the west entrance. I took one picture with the camera that day, and it was of the old road heading through the western edge of Marshall's Park, which is a large meadow on top of the plateau. I would have taken more, but I just didn't have time. We left at 5:00 am and finished up just before 10:00 pm, and then I had to ride my mountain bike back to Fountain Flats Drive to retrieve the van to head home in.

01.jpg
Strapping young lad in the middle of nowhere - 14 miles of nowhere.

02.jpg
Tripod ready at Marshall's Park, with the 4X5 in my hand

04.jpg
Essentially the same picture I took with the 4X5. Can you make out the stagecoach ruts? I made a huge enlargement and hung the
picture in my office in our old office building.

03.jpg
Injury along the way

05.jpg
Imagine 13 miles of this. That pile of downfall at the end is over 10 feet tall. Stagecoach road is underneath it all.

06.jpg
Straight ahead young lad. :)

07.jpg
Miles and miles of new growth and downfall to go yet. West Yellowstone off in the distance.