Lady Mountain-Zion NP

Discussion in 'Hiking & Camping' started by cmgz, Nov 29, 2016.

1. cmgz

cmgz Member

This was back in the beginning of November. A group led by my son was going up Lady Mountain. Lady for those of you who don't know it is an old park trail which was abandoned due to numerous accidents. They took down the ladders and chains and now it includes two short sections where one of the group has to climb up and set up a rope. A chimney which is rated 5.3 and a short pitch at 5.7. We took harnesses for the first and set up handlines at the second and two other exposed sections just for safety. This hike was a stretch for me as I have to work with my fear of heights, but it was a supportive group who I knew would be my best chance.
    P1080179.JPG
    This is the view from the Emerald Pools area. Looks pretty improbable from here. The entire trail is 5 miles roundtrip but the elevation gain is around 2600 feet with 2300 in about 1.5 miles. Starting out at the Middle Emerald Pool, the Park allows Lady Mt. hikers to access through a closed section of trail. This section was closed due to a landslide which is past our start.

P1080187.JPG
    Look closely and you'll see the moki steps on the left.
    P1080188.JPG
    Painted arrows from the old trail.
    P1080189.JPG
    My son starting the chimney climb.
    P1080195.JPG
    After a bit we come to the second technical section, which we handlined.
    15025579_10209569025756398_5164250015701867170_o.jpg
    Then the "endless staircase"
    P1080202.JPG

P1080203.JPG
    Getting closer to the top. The views are just amazing! P1080204.JPG
    Finally, we reach the top and the marker, still in place from when it was an official trail. P1080218.JPG
    Made it and now I get to pose for pictures. You can tell I'm not much of a poser. P1080221.JPG
    We had been in Behunin canyon this year and it was fun to see it from the top here.
    P1080223.JPG
    Phantom Valley P1080225.JPG
    Now time to head down and get to Oscar's for beer! P1080224.JPG

danger02ward, Ben, Ugly and 19 others like this.
  2. Cuberant

Cuberant Member

That's awesome! I wish I had the endurance, and guts, to do something like this. Impressive!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Jeffrey Chandler

Jeffrey Chandler Member

That's awesome! I've been wanting to get there but have never been confident on what rappelling and climbing skills I need. I'm friends with the son of someone pretty awesome, so maybe in due time I can convince them to haul me up there.

Miss Buffalo likes this.
  4. Miss Buffalo

Miss Buffalo Never give up!!

this brings back so many good memories. I love Lady Mountain and hope to get up there again one day.
    It's just such an amazing hike

5. Parma

Parma @parma26

Hours of posing in the mirror at home is how to master that posing ability like me!

cmgz and Jackson like this.
  6. Jackson

Jackson I like to go outside.

Looks like that hike beats the heck out of Angel's Landing! Awesome.

7. Nick

Nick Post 'em if you got 'em!

Crazy to think that used to be an official trail with chains. Looks like more fun the way it is now. Thanks for the post.

8. Absarokanaut

Absarokanaut Member

Very Cool. thank you young lady.

9. Jammer

Jammer ❤2Hike

Awesome. Definitely a route I've wanted to do for a long time.

Did you encounter anyone else along the way? Imagine if it had Angels Landing-type crowds! :eek:

10. cmgz

cmgz Member

There was a couple who were climbers and a small group who were locals which were coming down. I have a hard time imagining what it would be like as an official trail. It definitely has some major penalty points. We really do spend most of our hiking time in Zion off on our own. The best protection from overuse seems to be the difficulty in getting there.