Lady Mountain-Zion NP

cmgz

This was back in the beginning of November. A group led by my son was going up Lady Mountain. Lady for those of you who don't know it is an old park trail which was abandoned due to numerous accidents. They took down the ladders and chains and now it includes two short sections where one of the group has to climb up and set up a rope. A chimney which is rated 5.3 and a short pitch at 5.7. We took harnesses for the first and set up handlines at the second and two other exposed sections just for safety. This hike was a stretch for me as I have to work with my fear of heights, but it was a supportive group who I knew would be my best chance.
P1080179.JPG
This is the view from the Emerald Pools area. Looks pretty improbable from here. The entire trail is 5 miles roundtrip but the elevation gain is around 2600 feet with 2300 in about 1.5 miles. Starting out at the Middle Emerald Pool, the Park allows Lady Mt. hikers to access through a closed section of trail. This section was closed due to a landslide which is past our start.

P1080187.JPG
Look closely and you'll see the moki steps on the left.
P1080188.JPG
Painted arrows from the old trail.
P1080189.JPG
My son starting the chimney climb.
P1080195.JPG
After a bit we come to the second technical section, which we handlined.
15025579_10209569025756398_5164250015701867170_o.jpg
Then the "endless staircase"
P1080202.JPG

P1080203.JPG
Getting closer to the top. The views are just amazing!P1080204.JPG
Finally, we reach the top and the marker, still in place from when it was an official trail.P1080218.JPG
Made it and now I get to pose for pictures. You can tell I'm not much of a poser.P1080221.JPG
We had been in Behunin canyon this year and it was fun to see it from the top here.
P1080223.JPG
Phantom ValleyP1080225.JPG
Now time to head down and get to Oscar's for beer!P1080224.JPG

That's awesome! I wish I had the endurance, and guts, to do something like this. Impressive!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's awesome! I've been wanting to get there but have never been confident on what rappelling and climbing skills I need. I'm friends with the son of someone pretty awesome, so maybe in due time I can convince them to haul me up there.

Looks like that hike beats the heck out of Angel's Landing! Awesome.

Crazy to think that used to be an official trail with chains. Looks like more fun the way it is now. Thanks for the post.

Awesome. Definitely a route I've wanted to do for a long time.

Did you encounter anyone else along the way? Imagine if it had Angels Landing-type crowds! :eek:

Awesome. Definitely a route I've wanted to do for a long time.

Did you encounter anyone else along the way? Imagine if it had Angels Landing-type crowds! :eek:

There was a couple who were climbers and a small group who were locals which were coming down. I have a hard time imagining what it would be like as an official trail. It definitely has some major penalty points. We really do spend most of our hiking time in Zion off on our own. The best protection from overuse seems to be the difficulty in getting there.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Howells Outdoors Lady Mountain - 2014 Hiking & Camping 10
blueeyes Lady Mountain!! Hiking & Camping 3
John Goering Tobacco Root Mountains, Lady of the Lake/North Meadow Creek Backpacking 4
U motor vehicles in the Canaan Mountain Wilderness General Discussion 4
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
B Hello mountain people! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
BeardoMcGrath Fiftymile Mountain rim and ruins tour: 13 May 2023 Hiking & Camping 12
Ugly Oh Mother! A Mountain Loop Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
O Eagle Cap from China Cap to Meadow Mountain Backpacking 3
kwc Hadley Mountain hike Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
kwc Spruce Mountain Fire Tower, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
regehr conditions at the Mexican Mountain road? Trip Planning 8
scatman Little Mountain - January 21, 2023 Hiking & Camping 28
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
TheMountainRabbit Sky Pond (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
kwc Snowy Mountain, central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6
scatman Bald Mountain - August 20, 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
regehr mountain-forecast.com Trip Planning 22
Absarokanaut Welcome First Peoples Mountain General Discussion 0
scatman Mendon Peak - Wellsville Mountain Wilderness - June 4, 2022 Hiking & Camping 13
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy SLC: Terrace Hills Drive to Big Mountain Peak Trip Planning 16
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 7
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 0
scatman Little Mountain - January 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Jack's Mountain - December 24, 2021 Hiking & Camping 11
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
kwc Hadley Mountain Fire Tower hike, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Moxham Mountain, Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 3
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Black Mountain - May 22, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
kwc Blue Mountain hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Goodnow Mountain fire tower hike Hiking & Camping 2
LarryBoy Five Days on Boulder Mountain Backpacking 5
norwegianxplorer Greater Yellowstone part 2, from the Headwaters of Yellowstone River, through the Thorofare, Overlook Mountain, Rampart Creek Backpacking 9
kwc Chimney Mountain, South Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 3
regehr Sid's Mountain Loop Backpacking 5
fossana Bat Mountain traverse (Funeral Mountains) Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Sepulcher Mountain Hike, Yellowstone NP, September 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
UtahBrian Sids Mountain Wilderness November 2019 Backpacking 5
K Cycling The Divide Mountain Route Trip Planning 16
NorthwestWanderer Olympic National Park - Elk Mountain Hiking & Camping 7
Titans Prescribed burn South Monroe Mountain- photos from Capitol Reef area Photography 0
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
DownPour Mountain House meals and Ziplock bags General Discussion 7
scatman Mary Mountain Trail - Yellowstone - 8/11/19 Hiking & Camping 37