Labor Day Plans

I spent my weekend at Lower Red Castle Lake in the Uintas, and hiked up to Red Castle Lake on Sunday. The hike in was long, but the elevation gain was the most gradual of any hike I've done in the Uintas so far. It's nice when you realize that you've gained hundreds of feet without even noticing. The weather could have been better, but considering I spent three days in a tent last Labor Day because of heavy rains, I won't complain. It did rain a little here and there, but mostly it was just overcast, and as a result a little chilly. I did get a beautiful light show Saturday night for about an hour before the clouds moved back in. Totally made it worth my while! Surprisingly, the mosquitoes were still out and about. I left the DEET at home in favor of the natural repellent because I figured it was late enough in the season that I wouldn't need it. I won't be making that mistake again! Despite the fact that there were a bunch of people in the area, I managed to find a nice, private campsite. All in all it was a good trip, and I can definitely see myself returning one day.