Labor Day Plans

Hmm, GBNP... there's an idea.

You should look into going. Especially if the skies are clear it should be great for star gazing

Goin on my first backpacking trip in over 8 years!! Headed up to Dead horse lake with my two brothers and my dad. Should be a fun time. Anybody have word on the bug situation up there?

Goin on my first backpacking trip in over 8 years!! Headed up to Dead horse lake with my two brothers and my dad. Should be a fun time. Anybody have word on the bug situation up there?

Nice! You're in the clear from the bugs this time of year up there but it wouldn't hurt to have a little bottle of 100% deet for insurance. If it were me, I'd just go completely without.

The Big Sandy Trailhead was a zoo. We couldn't bring ourselves to hike there :(

Now I feel like a lost puppy trying to figure out what to do with this great weather for a long weekend. I think the Gros Ventre will work out.

The Big Sandy Trailhead was a zoo. We couldn't bring ourselves to hike there :(

Now I feel like a lost puppy trying to figure out what to do with this great weather for a long weekend. I think the Gros Ventre will work out.

They were all in the cirqus!! You should've gone for it!

I'm on top of Gunsight Pass on the Continental Divide, I haven't seen a soul, and I can see the Wind River Range, the Gros Ventre Range, the Absaroka Range, and the Teton Range...I call it a win! And I have just enough cell signal to post about it!

Went over to Great Basin National Park. Rained Saturday night and Sunday night. No stars. Had a rough night at 10,600 feet when the wind blew free the tarp covering my hammock. Blisters.

But I had Baker Lake to myself. There's consolation in that, I guess.

Went over to Great Basin National Park. Rained Saturday night and Sunday night. No stars. Had a rough night at 10,600 feet when the wind blew free the tarp covering my hammock. Blisters.

And what's this about the camera?

Oh yeah. Wind blew the T2i into the water. Don't know if it's toast or not yet but the screen went neon green as it died. Not a good sign.

Then when I arrived home, the toilet was backed up. Holidays!

Bummer, Dave. When I dunked my 60D, I just sent it in without any mention of water and it came back with a new circuit board under warranty. Or perhaps this is just a good time to upgrade, eh?

Well I never did make it hiking over the weekend, but Saturday I went rowing out on The Great Salt Lake, followed by swimming at my apartment complex. Yesterday I enjoyed delicious ribs at my parents house (foods an important part of the holiday right?). Today I had to work and it was busy enough for a holiday but it was great because I commuted to/from work on my bicycle. (23 miles RT). I've commuted all summer by bicycle but I used to live closer to work (10 miles RT). After I moved I cheated on the way home and took trax. To be honest it was almost easier staying on my bike today (couldn't take trax because of the holiday) and it took the same amount of time. Plus for some reason my time is always faster on the way home (perhaps because I'm anxious to get home).

my weekend involved a lot of studying and a few short hikes in Snow Canyon SP, where I was chasing some of the storms.
At least I could capture a small flash flood, so I got something nice in return . It was my first flash flood and that is always the most exciting one :)

Bummer!!
Hope your camera will work again.

I usually wanted to go to Great Basin and camp at Baker Lake beside climbing to Wheeler. But I had to bail due to Dixie commitments. :(
I can't wait to see your pictures and will look forward to another try by myself next year.

.... I commuted to/from work on my bicycle. (23 miles RT). I've commuted all summer by bicycle but I used to live closer to work (10 miles RT). After I moved I cheated on the way home and took trax. To be honest it was almost easier staying on my bike today (couldn't take trax because of the holiday) and it took the same amount of time. Plus for some reason my time is always faster on the way home (perhaps because I'm anxious to get home)......

Awesome, even if it is not faster you're having fun. I bike to work everyday, hate driving the truck anymore. My mileage is opposite of yours, I went from 24 miles to 16 miles. I also have to use the train. Sometimes my commute is the best part of the day...and i like my job:)
Keep cranking.

@asher: bummer on both accounts

We went down to Moab this weekend for my wifes birthday. I don't usually like going places for holiday weekends, but it wasn't crowded at all. It was HOT, even the 1st night was just to much. Spend a bit of time in the Colorado river, even though with was muddy. Then another day up Mill creek. Still did some basic touristy things since we went with some newbies to moab. Love watching the photographers fight at mesa arch. Caught some lightening storms, had an evening hike in the Devils Garden. Funny that most people were gone by evening. Much better then hiking it in the heat of the day!
Came back and one of the cars had a huge spider in it. When my cousin went to pop the top of their convertable there was some massive beast on the button. Funny watching to people fly out of the car screeming. One person tried to smash it with a window scraper, but when that happed it grabbed the scraper out of his had and tried to swat him! :frantic: It went under the car seat and we tried to find it with flashlights, cell phone cameras and just waited for it to jump out on someones face. No one was riding in that car till it was gone not knowing what it was other then BIG. A few people went over to the Arches campground to see if anyone had bug spray since ours was at camp..... NO one did, however they got the next best thing. A ranger just did a thing on spiders and everone was leaving the pavillion so she came to get a look. She got a look at it when we spotted it under the seat wedged up in the wires. And she didnt know what it was either! But said it wasn't a poisonus one. Told us that cinnamon would be better to get in the car to get it. So my 2 cousins braved the ride and we drove to Moab. They threw so much cinnamon under the seat it would choke anyone and drove to the carwash for the vacuum. I was so tired I sat in my car while they hunted this beast, until I heard them all screeming and chasing it with a vacuum. We are unsure to this day if it was sucked up or not, but we haven't seen it yet.......... Just another awesome adventure.
I didn't take a picture but they got video of it. However this is how I remember it. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...38FC821775F3CF02689BE7E0D46A&selectedIndex=11

Anyway heres a few pictures of the weekend.
http://www.pbase.com/wes242/moab_madness

We spent the weekend in Escalante. Rained quite a bit on the drive down from SLC on Friday. Saturday AM was cloudy but then it cleared up and ended up being pretty hot. We hiked off the Old Sheffield Road and there was just nobody out there at all-- a nice surprise for Labor Day weekend. There were plenty of triops in some of the potholes, the kids really enjoyed that. Also plenty of jasper chippings and moqui marbles and zebra sandstone. Sunday AM we were ~40 miles down the Hole in the Rock Road when a storm really opened up, the air was totally opaque in the direction of Fiftymile Mountain. It looked like it was only a matter of time before all the washes crossing the HITRR started running so we just turned around. Drove through quite a bit of standing water but the road surface hadn't softened up yet. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who was down the HITRR later on Sunday, the road might have gotten a little bit exciting. We spent a while at the Devil's Garden then hiked to Lower Calf Creek falls. It was spectacular with Calf Creek running a lot higher than it normally would be this time of year. There was quite a crowd at the falls though, an unwelcome change from the last time I was there (probably in 2000) when my wife and I had the falls to ourselves.