Kings Peak in mid July?

Skiwi

Hi there, it is that time of the year where my feet are itchy to move from being bound into ski boots/bindings and move more to my hiking shoes. So, planning some summer adventures is a pastime of mine at the moment.

My questions is "what are the typical conditions for summiting Kings Peak in mid July?". I know there is the risk of thunderstorms but in a typical year is the snow generally gone by then? I assume that the flying assassins (mosquitos) will be in full force at that time from previous Uintas experiences.

We may have a few days free at that time so I am thinking of doing a bit of a loop involving Red Castle if time and conditions allow. I will have to hunt out the trip reports on this I have read previously but any tips/hints would be appreciated.

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
Totally depends year over year, but mid-July would typically be pretty safe snow-wise. You can use a tool like https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/ to zoom in on the Uintas and scroll back through July year over year to see how it looked. You may have to vary the exact date a bit to find a day that's cloud-free.

Even last year, which was a bumper snow year for the Uintas, once the melt started it went fast.

WasatchWill

Ready For More
You should definitely be fine mid-July. In fact, it's about early to mid-July when the peak season (great pun) for hiking Kings and so many of the other Uinta jewels kicks up. My first time was late June actually, before monsoon storms really started to kick up, and there were a just a few lingering patches of snow on the shortcut trail between Gunsight Pass and Anderson Pass. Other than that, there was only a few muddy sections of trail through the upper basin of Henry Fork in the area of Dollar Lake. That was in a year following a winter comparable to the one we just had. Here's a pic of Kings Peak from near Dollar Lake to show you what conditions can look like in late June. The ridge from Anderson Pass to the summit had no snow obstacles to deal with whatsoever.

upload_2018-3-28_8-27-40.png

Jackson

I like to go outside.
Just be prepared for afternoon thunderstorms. They're very common that time of year. This King's Peak trip report by @DrNed is a good example of what I mean. Just seems like every Uintas trip I go on that time of year, I get caught in a series of thunderstorms nearly every afternoon.

Perry

Formerly Cuberant
Unless there’s an active storm system in play just hike as early as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skiwi

Thanks for the advice guys. @Dave - the Nasa map is pretty interesting. @WasatchWill - I had thought that late June would be too early (we have encountered a lot of snow in the second half of June previously in Naturalist/Amethyst areas). I will keep an eye on the map and maybe take a drive up to Bald Mountain Pass in June as we have a couple of 5 day breaks open. One in late June and the other in mid July to choose from. @Jackson - we have seen those thunderstorms come from nowhere in the Uintas so know to be very wary of them.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mike K Kings Peak Via Garfield Basin Backpacking 18
Ehouston24 Uintas Loop (Red Castle/Kings Peak) Trip Planning 14
DrNed Red Castle Kings Peak Henry's Fork Take Two Backpacking 8
JackBurns Kings Peak at 50 General Discussion 13
Perry Injured Utah Hiker Rescued Near Kings Peak General Discussion 9
Kishenehn Kings Peak in 1930 ... General Discussion 2
Ben uintas, kings peak from swift creek th Backpacking 5
Parma Kings Peak (August 2014) Backpacking 32
Nick Missing Hiker on Kings Peak General Discussion 3
WillisBodillus Kings Peak (7/31-8/2) Backpacking 7
Dave Kings Peak, Uintas (August 2-3, 2010) Backpacking 14
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
Muddy Waters Stevens, Fold, Escalante River, Fools, Kings Mesa Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer Big SEKI loop, Sequoia Kings Canyon Backpacking 1
WasatchWill A Birthday Along the 'Kings Castle' Loop Backpacking 11
norwegianxplorer Bear Standoff and Bluff Charge in Kings Canyon yesterday June 30th Backpacking 16
peakbagger1971 Kings-Emmons ridge Trip Planning 1
LarryBoy Looping the Highline: Gilbert Peak Edition Backpacking 12
scatman Peak 6551 - Lakeside Mountains - April 17, 2021 Hiking & Camping 7
napatony13 Trinity Alps-Grizzly Peak Trail Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Lookout Peak - January 16, 2021 Hiking & Camping 10
scatman Frary Peak - December 5, 2020 Hiking & Camping 10
scatman Church Fork Peak - November 28, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
scatman Grandeur Peak, The West Slope Approach - October 31, 2020 Hiking & Camping 7
scatman Naomi Peak - September 5, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
andyjaggy Deep Creek Lakes and Windriver Peak Trip Planning 6
Curt Visiting (Part of) the Lake District of Cloud Peak Wilderness Backpacking 15
misSOULa Into the Winds: Titcomb Basin and Gannett Peak Attempt Backpacking 6
scatman Grandview Peak - July 24, 2020 Hiking & Camping 11
scatman Millvue Peak - July 3, 2020 Hiking & Camping 2
DrNed Water Sources McKee Draw to Leidy Peak Trip Planning 12
scatman Ensign Peak to Grandview Peak Attempt Hiking & Camping 10
ram Colchuck Peak 7/10-12/2019 Backpacking 3
Udink Kimble and Turner Peak Hiking & Camping 9
J Death Valley Natl Pk Ibex Peak, Jubliee Mtn, Virgin Springs summits Dec. 2, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Tabby's Peak, Cedar Mountains - November 19, 2019 Hiking & Camping 10
Yvonne Hiking Avalanche Peak, Yellowstone Hiking & Camping 4
Curt Lost Twin Lakes, Cloud Peak Wilderness, Wyoming Backpacking 16
scatman Grebe Lake, Headwaters of Lava Creek and Observation Peak, Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2019 Backpacking 7
chandlerwest Great Basin National Park - Wheeler Peak Hiking & Camping 13
fossana Delano Peak the even longer way (Tushar Mountains, UT) Hiking & Camping 14
NorthwestWanderer Uncle visits Washington (Ptarmigan Ridge, Slate Peak & Wing Lake) Backpacking 4
fossana Delano Peak the long way (Tushar Mountains, UT) Hiking & Camping 14
peakbagger1971 Wilson Peak and Mt Powell Trip Planning 3
TeamJenkins17 Peak Refuel Gear 19
regehr Deseret Peak West Twin Couloir Hiking & Camping 14
NorthwestWanderer 6 Day backpacking trip in Glacier Peak Wilderness (3 days of off trail route) Backpacking 9
NorthwestWanderer Poet Ridge - Glacier Peak Wilderness Hiking & Camping 3
Perry Any Thoughts on the New Peak Design Travel Tripod? Photography 5
Perry Looking at new trail runners: Altra Lone Peak or Hoka Stinson ATR? Gear 22