Kings Peak in mid July?

Skiwi

Hi there, it is that time of the year where my feet are itchy to move from being bound into ski boots/bindings and move more to my hiking shoes. So, planning some summer adventures is a pastime of mine at the moment.

My questions is "what are the typical conditions for summiting Kings Peak in mid July?". I know there is the risk of thunderstorms but in a typical year is the snow generally gone by then? I assume that the flying assassins (mosquitos) will be in full force at that time from previous Uintas experiences.

We may have a few days free at that time so I am thinking of doing a bit of a loop involving Red Castle if time and conditions allow. I will have to hunt out the trip reports on this I have read previously but any tips/hints would be appreciated.

Totally depends year over year, but mid-July would typically be pretty safe snow-wise. You can use a tool like https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/ to zoom in on the Uintas and scroll back through July year over year to see how it looked. You may have to vary the exact date a bit to find a day that's cloud-free.

Even last year, which was a bumper snow year for the Uintas, once the melt started it went fast.

You should definitely be fine mid-July. In fact, it's about early to mid-July when the peak season (great pun) for hiking Kings and so many of the other Uinta jewels kicks up. My first time was late June actually, before monsoon storms really started to kick up, and there were a just a few lingering patches of snow on the shortcut trail between Gunsight Pass and Anderson Pass. Other than that, there was only a few muddy sections of trail through the upper basin of Henry Fork in the area of Dollar Lake. That was in a year following a winter comparable to the one we just had. Here's a pic of Kings Peak from near Dollar Lake to show you what conditions can look like in late June. The ridge from Anderson Pass to the summit had no snow obstacles to deal with whatsoever.

upload_2018-3-28_8-27-40.png

Just be prepared for afternoon thunderstorms. They're very common that time of year. This King's Peak trip report by @DrNed is a good example of what I mean. Just seems like every Uintas trip I go on that time of year, I get caught in a series of thunderstorms nearly every afternoon.

Unless there’s an active storm system in play just hike as early as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice guys. @Dave - the Nasa map is pretty interesting. @WasatchWill - I had thought that late June would be too early (we have encountered a lot of snow in the second half of June previously in Naturalist/Amethyst areas). I will keep an eye on the map and maybe take a drive up to Bald Mountain Pass in June as we have a couple of 5 day breaks open. One in late June and the other in mid July to choose from. @Jackson - we have seen those thunderstorms come from nowhere in the Uintas so know to be very wary of them.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Kings Peak Trip Trip Planning 6
Mike K Kings Peak Via Garfield Basin Backpacking 18
Ehouston24 Uintas Loop (Red Castle/Kings Peak) Trip Planning 14
DrNed Red Castle Kings Peak Henry's Fork Take Two Backpacking 8
JackBurns Kings Peak at 50 General Discussion 13
Perry Injured Utah Hiker Rescued Near Kings Peak General Discussion 9
Kishenehn Kings Peak in 1930 ... General Discussion 2
Ben uintas, kings peak from swift creek th Backpacking 5
Parma Kings Peak (August 2014) Backpacking 32
Nick Missing Hiker on Kings Peak General Discussion 3
WillisBodillus Kings Peak (7/31-8/2) Backpacking 7
Dave Kings Peak, Uintas (August 2-3, 2010) Backpacking 14
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
balzaccom Kings Canyon NP Day Hikes Hiking & Camping 3
norwegianxplorer Mt Whitney Virtual Hike via Horseshoe Meadows & Mt Langley, Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park Backpacking 1
Muddy Waters Stevens, Fold, Escalante River, Fools, Kings Mesa Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer Big SEKI loop, Sequoia Kings Canyon Backpacking 1
WasatchWill A Birthday Along the 'Kings Castle' Loop Backpacking 11
norwegianxplorer Bear Standoff and Bluff Charge in Kings Canyon yesterday June 30th Backpacking 16
peakbagger1971 Kings-Emmons ridge Trip Planning 1
BobFink Goschute Mountains, NV , Pisgah Peak, Hawk Watch Migration Site Everything Else 2
TheMountainRabbit Ortenburger Lake, Talus Lake, & Glacier Peak (Grand Teton NP) - October 2023 Backpacking 14
scatman Ensign Peak to Grandview Peak - October 9, 2023 Hiking & Camping 30
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
RockyMntCol Trip Planning Younts Peak / South Fork Yellowstone Trip Planning 12
T Cloud Peak backpack Trip Planning 0
RockyMntCol Cloud Peak Wilderness Loop Trip Planning 1
scatman Reid's Peak - Uintas - July 22, 2023 Hiking & Camping 6
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4
scatman Grandeur Peak - Dragon Tail Route - June 10, 2023 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Lookout Peak - May 27, 2023 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Frary Peak - Antelope Island - February 20, 2023 Hiking & Camping 10
scatman Ensign Peak - November 24, 2022 Hiking & Camping 11
scatman Grandeur Peak - November 11, 2022 Hiking & Camping 15
Titans What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it! General Discussion 54
ram Eldorado Peak 2022 Backpacking 3
TheMountainRabbit Younts Peak (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2022 Backpacking 22
regehr Lookout Peak 6/25/22 Hiking & Camping 3
scatman Unnamed Peak 8194 - June 25, 2022 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman Mendon Peak - Wellsville Mountain Wilderness - June 4, 2022 Hiking & Camping 13
scatman Dale Peak - May 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
westy Invite Glacier Peak, Washington Meet Up (Members Only) 2
TheMountainRabbit Invite Younts Peak, July 2022 Meet Up (Members Only) 11
LarryBoy SLC: Terrace Hills Drive to Big Mountain Peak Trip Planning 16
ram Glacier Peak July 2021 Backpacking 9
scatman Grandeur Peak - January 15, 2022 Hiking & Camping 6
scatman Frary Peak - Antelope Island - January 7, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
Wanderlust073 Raleigh Peak Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Grandeur Peak Loop - December 4, 2021 Hiking & Camping 4