JMT of the Rockies

muir_mountain

Wilderness Seeker
I just thought I would throw this out there. I have not walked this route, just mapped out where it would, in theory, best go. It is very much a work-in-progress, so I thought I could get input from this fine community. :)
image.jpeg

As pictured above, this backpacking route links 3 major mountain ranges in western Wyoming: The Wind River Range, the Gros Ventre Range, and the Teton Range.
Why would this route be appealing? Well, it is modeled (and logistically similar) to the wildly popular JMT(John Muir Trail) in California. The beauty of it is that it takes about 3 weeks to complete, the upper limit of time most folks can take off work.

I'll do a quick summary of the route from South to North. It mostly on trail and roads, with only a few small off-trail sections. Starting from the Big Sandy Trailhead, you more or less follow the Fremont and Highline trails north to the Green River Lakes trailhead, in essence doing a classic Traverse of the range. You can alter this route extensively to visit beautiful off-trail sections if you wish. I recommend taking a look at the Wind River High Route (WRHR) pioneered by Adventure Alan, for a more exciting Traverse than what the trails offer. Once at the Green River Lakes for Resupply, cross the green river bridge and stay north of the river on the Roaring Fork Trail. Follow the curving Green River Valley west and South on trails and 4x4 jeep roads to the Tosi Creek Trailhead.

This is the start of the Gros Ventre section. Follow Tosi Creek into Tosi Basin, then go off-trail east of Double Top Peak and down to Brewster Lake. This is absolutely spectacular country. From Brewster Lake, there is a 4-mile off-trail route described in Douglas Lorain's book "Backpacking Wyoming" that goes north to meet up with trails at the head of Gros Ventre River. Continue north on trails down Crystal Creek then west up the West Fork. Another off-trail section goes north on plateaus to Blue Miner Lake. From there, climb on the north slopes of Sheep Mointain, then off-trail to the northwest to the town of Kelly (all of this is in Wilderness land).

From Kelly, road walk west to Blacktail Butte, climb it, then continue down the north side and make your way to Moose Junction. Road walk past the visitors center (where you can pick up your backcountry permits) to Phelps Lake, where you go up the Death Canyon Trail and follow the Teton Crest Trail to Jenny or String Lake.

WHEW!!

I mapped it out and can provide a GPX track if any of you are interested. Depending on the variations you decide on in the Winds, it is between 210 and 230 miles, the same length as the JMT.

I'd really appreciate it if you guys and gals could help me out with the logistics and alternate ideas for this route (name for it??). I think this could have the potential to be a classic long-distance route, and go toe-to-toe with the JMT, if not exceed it, in scenery and grandeur.
Thank you!!

Having hiked down from the top of the Gros Ventre Slide to Teton Valley Ranch I can tell you coming out of the Gros Ventre will be arduous but far from impossible. The flow of the Gros Ventre at Wrangler Rapids ["The Kelly Cliffs"] can be swift well into summer. I think the coolest cresting of the Gros Ventre is the head of Swift and Crystal Creeks. Blacks Peak is one of my favorite mountains, in the 70s we called it "Stairway to Heaven." The Six Lakes are VERY special. Remember you will have to get on the Gros Ventre road before the GTNP boundary. Blue Miner and Sheep Mt. can be treacherous.

I will suggest that you add a few miles and head to the Grand Teton Climbers Ranch before going to Phelps Lake or even bagging Phelps and heading up Avalanche Canyon from the Climbers Ranch. If you want to go down to Phelps its 8 miles from the Climbers Ranch. Another option is to go from Phelps up Open Canyon, over Mt. Hunt Divide, and then up Granite to Marion and then North. I think Mt. Hunt Divide is AWESOME, but the Shelf ain't shabby either.

Some BIG bull moose often spend the heat of the day up on Blacktail Butte.

If I am able to help you on the ground here I will. Keep your stick on the ice.

The widower!! Haha, I'm certain this route would quite a toll!!

Thanks for the reply Absarokanaut!
I also thought about going past Black Peak to the six lakes, but I didn't know which route was better. So from the middle of Crystal Creek, what is the best way to get to Kelly? Either what I proposed, going down Sheep Mountain, or by road walking from the Gros Ventre slide all the way? Is there an alternate route you suggest? In what way is Blue Miner Lake treacherous? And I only thought Blacktail Butte would be nice to break up the road walking, should I avoid it? I'd like as little road walking as possible.
Thank you!

If you come down Crystal Creek your roadwalk out to Kelly Warm Springs would be in the 10 mile range. However you could conceivably go up Atherton Creek from the Camp/Picnic Ground essentially at the head of Slide Lake and get onto often open/meadowed ridges with more and more spectacular views as you approach the Warm Springs.

Because of Teton Valley Ranch you NEED to come out of the "canyon" at the Warm Springs or off the ridge flanks to the North I've suggested.

Thanks for the info @Absarokanaut ! I'm going to do the Wind River Traverse, the Grand Teton Traverse, as well as a couple day hikes to figure out the best descent from the Gros Ventre into Jackson Hole . So I'll have it all pretty much figured out by this summer. :)

Gros Ventre Swift Creek Divide  Approach.jpg

Gros Ventre Blacks Peak.jpg

Blacks Peak from Swift Creek/Crystal Creek Divide.

Mount Leidy Sheep Mountain.jpg

Sheep Mt. from Mt. Leidy.

Depending on when you come I want to do a full weekend to Blue Miner this year.

@Absarokanaut
I'll be available for a backpacking trip the weekend of July 16-18. I'm also free to do day hikes around September 8 or 15th...
Other than that, my schedule is pretty full doing week-long backpacking trips all over the Rockies.
Let me know if July16-18 would work for Blue Miner, sounds fun!