Island Lake/Titcomb Basin in July

b.stark

Forever Wandering
Thought I'd throw up my pics from the trip I did with @Curt and 3 other folks last month. The weather was rainy and cool this morning, so I stayed inside and edited pictures for the first time in a while.

Not going to go into too many details since Curt did a fine report that can be found here: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/wind-river-range-july-2018.7899/

But the basic outline and details are as so: We did 4 days/3 nights out of Elkhart Park. The weather was quite warm, mosquitoes were fairly aggressive, there was a bit of snow still left once we got to higher elevations around Island Lake and the basin. This was probably one of the most fun trips I've done. Good company, good weather, and the route itself wasn't particularly challenging, though we were plenty tired at the end of each day anyway. There were backcountry rangers assigned to patrol between the trailhead and Island Lake, and it seems they are needed since the area gets so much traffic now. There were fire rings everywhere, most camp sites were well worn, and we saw several groups that were 10+ people. I had not anticipated how hard it would be to find suitable campsites for a group of 4 tents, but we were able to find places.

On to some pictures.

I took very few pictures for the first day and a half. I've been to the Island Lake area four times over the past 11 years, so the trail up to Seneca is... kind of boring to me these days. Of course, obligatory Photographer's Point pic, for an initial trip establishing shot.
winds2018-1-L.jpg

Sunset view from Seneca Lake the first night (EDIT: This was from sunrise the second morning. Oops.)
winds2018-2-L.jpg

The second day we hiked from Seneca, made camp at Island Lake, then dayhiked into the Titcomb Basin.

First view of Island Lake and surrounding area. It never gets old coming over the hill to this view.
winds2018-5-L.jpg

This dork needed a shave
winds2018-8-L.jpg

Curt photographing on the way to the basin
winds2018-14-L.jpg

The Titcomb Basin never gets old
winds2018-27-X2.jpg

winds2018-28-L.jpg

We didn't make it as far into the basin as I'd hoped, but far enough. Anyway, the clouds were gathering pretty fast. As we headed back out storms built up. We missed the worst of it but still got some pretty good hail for a few minutes. A high mountain trip doesn't feel complete to me unless it hails at least once.
winds2018-39-L.jpg

(Cue the Monty Python) RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
winds2018-50-L.jpg

We got a pretty nice campsite at Island. There were plenty of people around. Much more crowded than I ever remember it being, but it was still tolerable. We camped only maybe 50 yards from the spot where I camped on my first backpacking trip ever way back in 2007. Brought back some good memories.
winds2018-52-X2.jpg

winds2018-60-L.jpg

The next day, we dayhiked to the inlet stream falls to Island Lake, then moved camp down to Hobbes Lake.

The falls were surprisingly worthwhile to visit. In all my times to Island Lake, I'd never hiked up to them.
winds2018-68-L.jpg

winds2018-88-L.jpg

winds2018-91-L.jpg

Climbing the hill back out of Island Lake is always fun.
winds2018-96-L.jpg

winds2018-98-L.jpg

Sunset view near camp at Hobbes Lake.
winds2018-109-L.jpg

Nothing special for pics from the last day's hike out. I ended up driving about 7 hours to get to the western end of Nebraska after hiking out from Hobbes Lake. Made for a bit of a long day.

Here's to more hikes in the future. Curt is always good to hike with and the rest of the group was excellent as well.

Last edited:
Thought I'd throw up my pics from the trip I did with @Curt and 3 other folks last month. The weather was rainy and cool this morning, so I stayed inside and edited pictures for the first time in a while.

Not going to go into too many details since Curt did a fine report that can be found here: https://backcountrypost.com/threads/wind-river-range-july-2018.7899/

But the basic outline and details are as so: We did 4 days/3 nights out of Elkhart Park. The weather was quite warm, mosquitoes were fairly aggressive, there was a bit of snow still left once we got to higher elevations around Island Lake and the basin. This was probably one of the most fun trips I've done. Good company, good weather, and the route itself wasn't particularly challenging, though we were plenty tired at the end of each day anyway. There were backcountry rangers assigned to patrol between the trailhead and Island Lake, and it seems they are needed since the area gets so much traffic now. There were fire rings everywhere, most camp sites were well worn, and we saw several groups that were 10+ people. I had not anticipated how hard it would be to find suitable campsites for a group of 4 tents, but we were able to find places.

On to some pictures.

I took very few pictures for the first day and a half. I've been to the Island Lake area four times over the past 11 years, so the trail up to Seneca is... kind of boring to me these days. Of course, obligatory Photographer's Point pic, for an initial trip establishing shot.
winds2018-1-L.jpg

Sunset view from Seneca Lake the first night
winds2018-2-L.jpg

The second day we hiked from Seneca, made camp at Island Lake, then dayhiked into the Titcomb Basin.

First view of Island Lake and surrounding area. It never gets old coming over the hill to this view.
winds2018-5-L.jpg

This dork needed a shave
winds2018-8-L.jpg

Curt photographing on the way to the basin
winds2018-14-L.jpg

The Titcomb Basin never gets old
winds2018-27-X2.jpg

winds2018-28-L.jpg

We didn't make it as far into the basin as I'd hoped, but far enough. Anyway, the clouds were gathering pretty fast. As we headed back out storms built up. We missed the worst of it but still got some pretty good hail for a few minutes. A high mountain trip doesn't feel complete to me unless it hails at least once.
winds2018-39-L.jpg

(Cue the Monty Python) RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!
winds2018-50-L.jpg

We got a pretty nice campsite at Island. There were plenty of people around. Much more crowded than I ever remember it being, but it was still tolerable. We camped only maybe 50 yards from the spot where I camped on my first backpacking trip ever way back in 2007. Brought back some good memories.
winds2018-52-X2.jpg

winds2018-60-L.jpg

The next day, we dayhiked to the inlet stream falls to Island Lake, then moved camp down to Hobbes Lake.

The falls were surprisingly worthwhile to visit. In all my times to Island Lake, I'd never hiked up to them.
winds2018-68-L.jpg

winds2018-88-L.jpg

winds2018-91-L.jpg

Climbing the hill back out of Island Lake is always fun.
winds2018-96-L.jpg

winds2018-98-L.jpg

Sunset view near camp at Hobbes Lake.
winds2018-109-L.jpg

Nothing special for pics from the last day's hike out. I ended up driving about 7 hours to get to the western end of Nebraska after hiking out from Hobbes Lake. Made for a bit of a long day.

Here's to more hikes in the future. Curt is always good to hike with and the rest of the group was excellent as well.
I just got back today from this hike! It was my first time and I was floured at how many people there were!!! [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] I was the only one in my group to hike from Seneca to Titcomb Basin. The rest wanted to fish.[emoji849]

Thanks for sharing your report. At some point I will throw one up. I am a bit behind on my trip reports.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just got back today from this hike! It was my first time and I was floured at how many people there were!!! [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15] I was the only one in my group to hike from Seneca to Titcomb Basin. The rest wanted to fish.[emoji849]

Thanks for sharing your report. At some point I will throw one up. I am a bit behind on my trip reports.

I carried my fly rod all the way to Island Lake and back and fished for maybe half an hour the whole trip. When the group went to the falls, I originally intended to stay back and fish but in the end decided to hike to the falls. That was a good decision. There was actually a guy at Island Lake in a float tube. Not sure if they packed it in or had an outfitter bring it in, but kind of a heavy item to pack (much heavier gear than a packraft).

Double post, sorry.

I carried my fly rod all the way to Island Lake and back and fished for maybe half an hour the whole trip. When the group went to the falls, I originally intended to stay back and fish but in the end decided to hike to the falls. That was a good decision. There was actually a guy at Island Lake in a float tube. Not sure if they packed it in or had an outfitter bring it in, but kind of a heavy item to pack (much heavier gear than a packraft).
That was another thing that surprised me...the number of people with fishing poles.

I will say I very much enjoyed the fresh fish in my Thai noodles.

Thanks for the report and comments. I'm taking my nephew to Island the third week this Sept, probably in via Wall Lake for the same reason: I've done Seneca L. at least 3 other times. Hope to make the N end of Upper cook day 1, then find a campsite day 2 near Indian/Titcomb basin junction to dayhike those. Back to Elkhart day 4. Was thinking of fishing Mistake as well as Wall for at least an hour or 2. I won't be packing a float tube!

Your camp at Hobbs Lake....was it by the rocks with a couple of flat, dirt tent spots? Looks like the view we had from camp on Saturday night

We camped a bit back from an obvious campsite that had been closed for restoration. There were a few tent spots, none really all that level though.

Beautiful pictures! Love that place! I concur the Titcomb Basin never gets old!