Island in the Sky: Cheatin and I Know It

I can't search it up right now, but look for access from climbers. Getting from the White Rim road down to those formations is very common amongst climbers.

Thanks all that's some fine 411! There's enough here to crunch on and most of it complies with my own research.

Every time I’ve been to Grandview all I can think about is how cool it would be to go into Monument Basin, never really put much thought into how it would happen though. Super cool.

Howdy,

I'm looking for a way into Monument Basin from the White Rim without getting a "Kelsey Headache".

Obliged I am. :cool:

Here is a gps track of a route I followed, old post I see now, but anyway, did you go down there?

Into Monument Basin.png

@John Morrow and @norwegianxplorer---It looks like you both entered Monument Basin in the same general area (which is probably Allen's sheep trail route referenced by @Udink); how hard was that descent? Class 2? Class 3? It seems like I read somewhere that you can also enter the basin from the South (from the White Rim), but I can't find that info now... do any of you know about that route? I'm intrigued with the idea of entering the basin from the East (like both of you did), and then exiting via the South

@John Morrow and @norwegianxplorer---It looks like you both entered Monument Basin in the same general area (which is probably Allen's sheep trail route referenced by @Udink); how hard was that descent? Class 2? Class 3? It seems like I read somewhere that you can also enter the basin from the South (from the White Rim), but I can't find that info now... do any of you know about that route? I'm intrigued with the idea of entering the basin from the East (like both of you did), and then exiting via the South
That map looks very accurate. I remember one small drop off right at the top, like maybe a tiny dryfall? After that the little north traverse was sidehill and the descent was scree and draw. I didn't make any mental note of perhaps not wanting to take a full pack down. That was part of the reason for the route scout, to go back someday and get down below. Honestly, from vague memory I'd say 1 Class 2 more or two. Government trail required far more concentration!

That map looks very accurate. I remember one small drop off right at the top, like maybe a tiny dryfall? After that the little north traverse was sidehill and the descent was scree and draw. I didn't make any mental note of perhaps not wanting to take a full pack down. That was part of the reason for the route scout, to go back someday and get down below. Honestly, from vague memory I'd say 1 Class 2 more or two. Government trail required far more concentration!
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. Yeah, I have no interest in the Government Trail based on your trip report!

I had a very heavy pack so I was very careful, carrying 12L of water, didnt know about the spring down there until I was right on top of it, but I would say class 1 to 2, nothing to be concerned about if you do these sorts of things.

I had a very heavy pack so I was very careful, carrying 12L of water, didnt know about the spring down there until I was right on top of it, but I would say class 1 to 2, nothing to be concerned about if you do these sorts of things.

I don't know about the spring...where are you referencing?

I don't know about the spring...where are you referencing?
There is a spring down there somewhere once you get closer to the colorado river. There is not really any info to find about it apart from in one of Kelseys books, it right where I have entered "camp night 1" on the map

There is a spring down there somewhere once you get closer to the colorado river. There is not really any info to find about it apart from in one of Kelseys books, it right where I have entered "camp night 1" on the map
Do you have a trip report for this? I'm intrigued to say the least. Did you go all the way down to the river from that campsite? Or did you meander down towards the canyons below White Crack? Or did you just explore Monument Basin and then head back out the way you came?

Do you have a trip report for this? I'm intrigued to say the least. Did you go all the way down to the river from that campsite? Or did you meander down towards the canyons below White Crack? Or did you just explore Monument Basin and then head back out the way you came?
Ryan, I went from Gooseberry trailhead on Island in the sky, down to the White Rim, and entered Monument Basin from the South/East side. I walked the canyons below the White Rim towards the South/West for a couple of days and turned north to exit at white crack. I followed the road north towards the Murphys Hogback trail and climbed up to the Island again. Roadwalked back to the Gooseberry TH. I found water at camp 1 and also at camp 2. The first water source might be reliable, the second prob not. This was in May. I carried 12 L of water to start with, heaviest pack I ever carried. I have a recording of the route that I will make public for a few days so you can check it out. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/map/lower-basins-complete-f4334c1