In the City, Dreaming about the Wilderness...

One of the Montana universities came out with a study recently that said the exact same thing, bear spray is much safer than carrying a gun. My cousin was an archaeologist in Alaska for many years, flying into remote sites, and he had several close grizzly encounters. He said he would be dead if he'd been carrying a gun and not bear spray - and yes, he knows how to use a gun.

I would recommend that you read some of the work of Charlie Russell (a Canadian, not the artist). He's worked closely with grizzlies all his life, and we have much to learn from him. I also recommend Doug Peacock, another grizzly expert. Bear researchers are finding the bears are more intelligent than apes, and they're really and truly not killing machines. We go into their habitat hopefully with great respect, and a can of bear spray.

I understood where you were coming from, though caps lock can sometimes make a post seem more extreme than it was maybe meant, though maybe not...

Last edited:
We have hiked and camped extensively for 40 years in the prime grizzly habitat of the Canadian Rockies, and agree with others- both of you should carry bear spray (maybe "waste" a canister so you get an idea of the effective range) and consider leaving the gun behind. This is not an "anti guns" in general stance ( I have been a hunter), but is based on the most likely outcome of being armed- a false sense of security, and the possibility that a merely curious bear will be unnecessarily shot.

Educate yourself then do what you want. It's still mostly a free country.

My best description of golden trout meat is salmon-like. It's not just like salmon, but what I had was very red and had a similar texture to salmon. That was probably the only time I'll ever eat a golden trout though, both because I don't target them much and they are indeed a pretty special fish. It's been long enough since I had a cutthroat that I can't very well compare. Tiger trout is maybe the most recent trout I've had that would be in the same category as golden trout meat. Most of the time I keep rainbows or brookies. I eat lots of brookies in the mountain west, since they usually are so prolific that they overpopulate lakes and are stunted into what we call "fish sticks." No shame in eating a panfull of those.

When I first started hiking, I ate fish 2-3 times a day as available. A lot of that was probably for two reasons, one, because they guy I hiked with a lot ate them all the time, and two, our food lacked good nutrition (ramen and easy mac just don't feed your body well). I hike myself or with other people most of the time now and carry much more nutritious food, so a trout is a treat once in a while. I use barbless hooks as much as possible too (haven't started tying my own yet or all my trout flies would be barbless).

Love the little brookies that you can just scrape with a fork to get the meat off them in one shot. 6-8 for breakfast, ohhhh yeahhh.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Bob Short Motor Trip Thru Cody, Cooke City Off Road 6
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
BobFink Joining from Park City, UT Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
J Need Park City area Hiking help Trip Planning 2
Perry 5.7 mag Earthquake in Salt Lake City Area - Check in Here to Let Us Know You're Okay General Discussion 44
J Brigham City X-country Trip Planning 2
balzaccom Summit City Canyon Backpacking 0
George_Washington_Hayduke Hello from Salt Lake City Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
regehr arch in City Creek Hiking & Camping 1
TrektheWorld Planning a family trip to Utah (Park City + more!) Trip Planning 4
Joey Invite Beer Night in Salt Lake City, Friday December 11th. Meet Up (Members Only) 44
Illuminations2k Hello from Salt Lake City! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
B Backpack from Salt Lake City to Midway Trip Planning 5
N Hi from Park City Utah!! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
F Short Overnight hikes near Salt Lake City Trip Planning 2
E Hello there from good ol' Salt Lake City Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Ben Gooding City of Rocks, Coyote Creek Hiking & Camping 10
uintahiker Good Hikes in the Kansas City area? Trip Planning 2
Bob Which City in the USA has the most variable weather? General Discussion 0
WasatchWill Park City to Provo - 65 miles in 4 days Backpacking 22
Madison Cleveland Noob in Salt Lake City Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
R Noob from Salt Lake City Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Brendan Noob in Park City Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
pixie1339 Cedar City to Zion June 2010 Hiking & Camping 8
IntrepidXJ Grand Junction City Hall Art Exhibit Reception Photography 1
SPAC3MAN Hello from Charm City Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
gloo Cedar City vs St. George General Discussion 7
Nick Where to fish near Salt Lake City General Discussion 8
dman Suggestions for 30 miler and scouts in Cedar City area? Trip Planning 4
Tyler City Creek hiking: Bailey's first hike Sept. 2008 Hiking & Camping 0
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2019 July 17 - July 29 | Green River Lakes - Elkhart Park Backpacking 14
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2014 the first few days July 9 - 14 Backpacking 5
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2012 trip 3 July 22 - August 8 | part two Backpacking 2
Dreamer Wind River Dreaming | Summer 2012 trip 3 July 22 - August 8 Backpacking 19
D Dreaming of the Mountains Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
F Bob Marshall Wilderness, Montana, July / August, 2023, part 2 of 3 Backpacking 4
F Bob Marshall Wilderness, Montana, July / August, 2023, part 1 of 3 Backpacking 6
U motor vehicles in the Canaan Mountain Wilderness General Discussion 4
Bob Teton Wilderness July 2024 Trip Planning 40
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
shredhiker Ansel Adams Wilderness October 2023 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
randakag Rawah Wilderness "Lollipop" Loop - September 2023 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16