How doable is the sneak route out of Death Hollow with kids and a dog?

climbhigh1119

I have a Death Hollow trip planned with the family (2 kids age 11 and 14) and a doggo this fall. I am hoping to cut out a few miles of slogging along the Escalante by using the sneak route exit, but want to make sure that that exit will be doable by everyone.

The dog is on the small side so I'm fine carrying it in a pack up short, steeper sections if necessary. My kids both ascended the Jacob Hamblin Arch exit out of Coyote Gulch a couple years ago easily and do pretty well with exposure as long as it isn't too gnarly. If anybody has done both the Jacob Hamblin Coyote Gulch access and the Death Hollow sneak route, and can comment on how they compare, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

I personally thought the escalante section was very beautiful. You can probably handle the sneak route if you did the Jacob Hamblin route (disclaimer: I've done neither. That's just my impression), but I wouldn't by any stretch refer to that section of the escalante as a slog. And I'm impatient with short subpar sections of hikes!

I personally thought the escalante section was very beautiful. You can probably handle the sneak route if you did the Jacob Hamblin route (disclaimer: I've done neither. That's just my impression), but I wouldn't by any stretch refer to that section of the escalante as a slog. And I'm impatient with short subpar sections of hikes!
Yeah, I've done the Escalante section before and agree with you - I found it quite enjoyable. I just know my kids' tolerance to how many miles they can do on a trip and still have a good time, and want to be careful to make sure that they keep having good experiences so that they keep wanting to do trips with me as they get older :).

What's the sneak route?
It is relatively short way to exit the Escalante basin shortly after coming out of Death Hollow, where you basically scramble up a steep sandstone ramp to the south where you have a car parked at an overlook, rather than hiking several miles to the east along the Escalante River to the Highway 12 bridge.

It is relatively short way to exit the Escalante basin shortly after coming out of Death Hollow, where you basically scramble up a steep sandstone ramp to the south where you have a car parked at an overlook, rather than hiking several miles to the east along the Escalante River to the Highway 12 bridge.
Copy, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a quicker way up to the Bowington Route from closer to the Death Hollow mouth then where the original Bowington Route drops to the river further to the east (downstream). It is covered in C3. I think this is also covered in C3. .

The sneak route to JH Arch as a gauge opens lots of options. My guess is that JH Arch access would be more challenging. I could see many folks with overnight packs wanting a belay on the JH route.
Thanks,
John

Never tried it but met a guy who said he just dropped down in that way. He was wearing his pack on his chest instead of his back so I had a funny thought that he might be some kind of space alien who didn’t know how to wear it right. Girlfriend assured me I was just being silly. We met a lot of interesting people in there. Ever since then I’ve too wondered about that route, sounds interesting.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Parma Is the road to Upper Muley Twist doable in an Outback? General Discussion 19
M Doable, right? What do you think...Canyoneering the Roost Trip Planning 4
NorthwestWanderer First time in the High Uintas | Red Castle SNEAK Loop | I give these mountains 5 out of 5 stars Backpacking 7
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
fossana A challenging week on the Escalante Overland Route Backpacking 21
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
meowtaingal Wind river high route mid september Trip Planning 7
D Wind River offtrail route questions Trip Planning 28
scatman Grandeur Peak - Dragon Tail Route - June 10, 2023 Hiking & Camping 13
B Sawtooths - Off Trail Route Plan Trip Planning 9
TheMountainRabbit Red's Meadow to Tuolumne Meadows via the High Route (Ansel Adams/Yosemite Wilderness) - August 2022 Backpacking 5
PaulMags Grand - Moab Route Backpacking 1
seekinglost Introducing the Mojave-Sonoran Trail: A NEW 625-mile Winter Thru-Hiking Route Backpacking 4
RyanP Young's/Lean-To Route in DC Trip Planning 7
M Grand Canyon NP, Royal Arch Route Backpacking 0
Yvonne Climbing Mount Saint Helens via Monitor Ridge Route, July 2021 Hiking & Camping 16
scatman Grandeur Peak - Dagon's Tail Route - November 21, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Steven's Canyon and the Baker Route (car/key swap) Meet Up (Members Only) 8
stretch Most Scenic Route to Traverse the Gros Ventre? Trip Planning 17
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
M 5 days Green > Elk Wind River route advice August 17th Trip Planning 9
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
Nick Dirty Devil Miner's Route Trip Planning 0
K Cycling The Divide Mountain Route Trip Planning 16
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park - North Circle Route Part 1 Preview Video. Backpacking 1
b.stark Wrangell-St Elias "Seven Pass Route" Backpacking 29
Devin Ashby The Lower Gulch - Escalante (Seeking info on the route) Trip Planning 14
LarryBoy A Route In Between: Mexico to Canada Through the Heart of the West Backpacking 50
Perry Any Beta in this Proposed Route Near Coffin Benchmark? Trip Planning 5
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
Hiker Seth Thinking about this Wind River Route. Trip Planning 11
H Wind River Range route planning Trip Planning 6
NorthwestWanderer 6 Day backpacking trip in Glacier Peak Wilderness (3 days of off trail route) Backpacking 9
RyanP 5-day route in Winds in late July? Trip Planning 0
C Route 9 Through Zion closed indefinitely. General Discussion 25
DrNed Recommendation for 35-45 Mile Route in the Uintas Trip Planning 7
LarryBoy Critique the Route: Deseret Hiking Route Trip Planning 11
fossana Stephens Canyon Loop, part of Escalante Overland Route or ? Trip Planning 18
scatman Grandeur Peak - West Slope Route - September 3, 2018 Hiking & Camping 12
Jimmy Glacier Route Help Trip Planning 0
J White Cloud Route. 2018 June 22 Trip Planning 3
SKLund Cat Mesa via Alternate Pfeiffer Route Hiking & Camping 2
Gregg B. Powell Route Gypsum Canyon, UT Trip Planning 0
D Wind River High Route Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
S White Cloud route, Big Boulder Lakes to Boulder Chain Lakes Trip Planning 3
Perry Suggestions for 3-day/2-night Uinta's Route Trip Planning 10
Kullaberg63 Allen's Dark Canyon route Trip Planning 18
T Advice Needed for 5 night Backpack route in Southern Utah Trip Planning 2